Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

I'll hopefully give it a spin once the first bladder kicking session is finished.

edit: ok, bladderball is into overtime so it'll have to be tomorrow at the earliest now

Well, that was a happy, Christmassy watch to end with.

Being a short it wouldn't have made my ballot as I choose not to include them (maybe one day we'll do a countdown specifically for shorts?), but it was certainly a decent watch on a subject that imo could do with more exposure. It's a society that's somewhat alien to me but I can fully appreciate why the pressures it applies lead to the outcome we see - the most telling line for me was when the father said "I am her husband. She is just my wife." as the inclusion of that single word I think speaks volumes. What bewildered/angered me most though, for a society supposedly so bound by the Quran, is that the swearing on said Holy book and then not upholding that vow is seemingly brushed aside as if it were nothing

Perhaps not the easiest nom to pass comment on as discourse could easily derail from the actual documentary and this is not really the ideal place for such conversations, very good nom though and I'm glad I watched it.

Yeah, probably should've posted a reminder for us to keep our thoughts focused on the film and not go on a political tangent. I'm sure you'll all be fine though.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the film. When I first heard about it, I thought it was just going to be a simple retelling of the crime/trial, which likely would've provided a cap for how much I'd enjoy the film (if that's all a film is doing, I'd rather just read an article about the case), but it turned out to be so much more. I think it did a great job at examining Pakistan's society and its laws and exploring the contradictions/unfair bits of their culture. It's hard to watch and, though you'll likely be able to predict the outcome of the trial, I'd argue it's more of an inevitability given everything we learn about Pakistan in the short.
WARNING: spoilers below
The most telling scene for me was how the father actually became more popular amongst his neighbors after being let out of jail. That you could potentially become a minor celebrity for doing what he did said a whole lot.

Overall, it's not going to make my ballot (my ballot is pretty much decided at this point), but it's a very good film nonetheless.

I don't know how many people will be able to participate at this point in the countdown, but if you got a spare 40 minutes, you're more than welcome to join in. Deadline for the film will be the countdown deadline.

I don't think this thread will get any further replies, so I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. It was fun hosting it and I really appreciated the participation this thread got throughout the preliminary thread. I wasn't sure how popular it would be, but I was happy to see the positive reception it got and it looks like many of us hope for it to catch on for future countdowns, so here's hoping it will become standard for now on.

Sorry for being late to finish this. I had laptop issues. But I had promised to watch all the noms, so watched these two on my mobile.

I finished watching On Gaku Our Sound. Not a great deal of story and it's raw, but it has heart and quite a few times the humour works, though the pauses at times didn't. Above all it's about loving the music, and as a beginner guitarist I related to the idea of taking joy out of music, even if your aren't great at it.

Also I just finished watching A girl in the river. I am shocked, but not surprised. This is an unfortunate norm in this part of the world. Glad we have stricter laws here in India against these, and such incidents are pretty few here, but Pakistan, like most Islamic nations, has the terrible concept of blood money or forgiveness. And it's absolutely F'ed up.

I take solace in the fact that Saba's husband and Mother in law stood by her. I can understand why her brother in law urged her to compromise, even though I don't agree with it.

And if you think this was bad, I would urge everyone to read about forced conversions and a certain scum named Mian Mithu, and what is happening in Sindh, Pakistan.

Thanks for the recommendations @Torgo and @SpelingError

And kudos to @SpelingError for running this. I enjoyed being part of this club.

I don't think this thread will get any further replies, so I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. It was fun hosting it and I really appreciated the participation this thread got throughout the preliminary thread. I wasn't sure how popular it would be, but I was happy to see the positive reception it got and it looks like many of us hope for it to catch on for future countdowns, so here's hoping it will become standard for now on.
This has been a great thread. With one exception (and absolutely nothing against the person who made the nomination), I will be trying to all of the movies that I haven't watched yet and I'll post those reviews here.