Help me with 2010s Movie Recommendations

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I still can't get over the make-up on John C. Reilly - they MADE him into Oliver Hardy in every respect: the face, the body type, and Reilly had the voice & mannerisms down. It was actually hard to tell it was John C. Reilly if you didn't know it was him.

Steve Coogan was equally good - looked the part (almost naturally without enhancement) and played Stan as you'd imagine him in real life.

Yes, the make-up was excellent. It was easy to forget that I was watching a movie about them as opposed to a movie with them.

This is the second time I've watched Cloud Atlas (2012), but I didn't remember anything about it except that it was very confusing the first time I watched it, so it was basically like watching it for the first time again. I thought a rewatch would have helped with the confusion, but unfortunately it didn't. It was just as confusing the second time.

I think the problem for me is that I have a hard time recognizing some of these people in the different storylines, so it's hard for me to keep track of how these stories are connected. I think I could probably watch this movie 50 times, and I would still be confused. (I might have to flowchart it out one day to see if I can figure it out.)

But it feels like it has the potential to be a good movie if I can figure out the connections, and some of the actors were so well hidden in certain characters that I didn't recognize them, even during the end credits when it showed their pictures next to their names.

Thank you for the recommendation.
I haven't seen this but I'm planning to.

@mistique,
I watched Shutter Island (2010), and I liked it. I figured out the twist in this pretty early in the movie, but that didn't take much away from the movie. Instead of being a movie with a twist at the end, it turned out to be more like a long episode of the TV show "Columbo", where you know who did it, but the fun is watching everything unfold, and seeing how he figures it out.

The only issues I had with this movie were little things, like the fact that DiCaprio doesn't really work for me as a noir-type of detective, and wondering why Ruffalo's character kept calling him "Boss", when they just met and they're supposed to be partners. But those were minor issues that didn't take anything away from the movie.

Thank you for the great recommendation.
I disliked Shutter Island but it was a decade ago. Maybe I should try it again.

I haven't seen this but I'm planning to.
I'm looking forward to your review of Cloud Atlas. If you can keep track of who's who in each story, it might make more sense. I think that's what's tripping me up with this movie.

I disliked Shutter Island but it was a decade ago. Maybe I should try it again.
I had read mixed reviews of Shutter Island so I didn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.

@Citizen Rules,
Goodbye Christopher Robin (2017) was on my watchlist since it was released, so I was glad that I finally got around to watching it.

The movie started off slow, (in fact, I almost turned it off after about 20 minutes because Milne was so unlikable), but it picked up at around 40 minutes in, and I'm glad that I stuck with it.

I liked how writing the story with his son changed his whole personality, but it's sad how the story's popularity affected his son. Parts of this movie were a tough watch (emotionally), but I loved the ending.

This movie was not what I was expecting because it's about the author and his son, not about Winnie the Pooh, the bear. Once I realized that, I warmed up to the movie and enjoyed it. I think I would probably enjoy it more on a second watch now that I know what to expect.

christopher robin (marc forster, 2018)
I watched Christopher Robin (2018), and I loved this movie. It brought me back to my childhood days.

I thought that Winnie the Pooh would be like Hobbes from "Calvin & Hobbes", where he was only real to Christopher Robin, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that other people could see him move and hear him talk too. I love Pooh's philosophy, saying things like, "I always get to where I'm going by walking away from where I've been.". It reminded me of Yogi Berra's "Berra-isms".

This movie was so good that a stuffed bear made me cry. I even loved the scene that played during the end credits.

Thank you for this great recommendation. This is one of my new favorite movies, and it's probably a lock for my list.

I watched Christopher Robin (2018), and I loved this movie. It brought me back to my childhood days.

I thought that Winnie the Pooh would be like Hobbes from "Calvin & Hobbes", where he was only real to Christopher Robin, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that other people could see him move and hear him talk too. I love Pooh's philosophy, saying things like, "I always get to where I'm going by walking away from where I've been.". It reminded me of Yogi Berra's "Berra-isms".

This movie was so good that a stuffed bear made me cry. I even loved the scene that played during the end credits.

Thank you for this great recommendation. This is one of my new favorite movies, and it's probably a lock for my list.
nice! for some reason i knew you would love this one. definitely some of the most effective hyper-sentimentality i’ve seen in a movie. i had no expectations going in when i saw it in the theater but i was really surprised by how moved i was.
criticker

nice! for some reason i knew you would love this one. definitely some of the most effective hyper-sentimentality i’ve seen in a movie. i had no expectations going in when i saw it in the theater but i was really surprised by how moved i was.

I didn't know what to expect from this movie either, especially after watching Goodbye Christopher Robin (2017) just before it, but it far surpassed anything that I could have expected from it.

The way Pooh's friends were looking at the adult Christopher Robin, before they believed it was really him, reminded me of the way one of the lost boys was looking at Robin Williams in the movie Hook, but it was so much better in this movie.

This is easily my favorite movie that I've watched for this countdown so far. Thank you so much for recommending it.

I don't think anybody specifically recommended Easy A (2010) to me, but it's been mentioned on the forum several times, so I decided to watch it.

I liked how Olive seemed to have a good opinion of herself, even though she was a bit of an outcast. Even when she found a not-too-good reason to become popular, she didn't run away and hide. She still did what she thought was the right thing to do, without worrying about what other people would think of her for it. I thought she deserved a lot of respect for that.

This was a strange, but fun movie. I expected a rom-com, but it was more of a comedy. It didn't become a rom-com until the end of the movie, but it was worth the wait.

@Holden Pike,

I watched Hearts Beat Loud (2018), and I enjoyed it. I thought this was going to be a musical, but it's more of a light drama about a father and daughter, and the music that they make together. I liked the relationship between Frank and his daughter, even though he acted more like her friend than her father sometimes, and I liked the music.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Hearts Beat Loud"!!!" spoilers below
The only thing that I questioned was why he didn't sell the whole business to his landlord. She seemed to want it, and she thought it could be saved, and he just wanted out of it, so he could have sold it to her and at least gotten some money for it. But I guess if they had done that, Frank and Sam wouldn't have sung together in the store, and the movie would have had a completely different ending.

@John-Connor,

I watched Allied (2016), and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I'm not usually a fan of war movies, but this one was pretty good. It was more about the romance between two people who are spies, than about the war itself. Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillar had very good chemistry together, and it didn't end the way I expected it to, so that's a plus too.

I don't think anyone recommended The Voices (2014) to me, (and after watching it, I can see why), but I watched it because I like Ryan Reynolds and I thought it was a comedy. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a comedy horror, so it wasn't really my type of movie. It's a very strange movie, and it had some fun moments, but it's much too bloody for my taste.

@John-Connor,

I watched Allied (2016), and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I'm not usually a fan of war movies, but this one was pretty good. It was more about the romance between two people who are spies, than about the war itself. Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillar had very good chemistry together, and it didn't end the way I expected it to, so that's a plus too.

Glad you liked it, you'll probably like The Owls of Ga’Hoole a whole lot more.

I don't think anyone recommended The Voices (2014) to me, (and after watching it, I can see why), but I watched it because I like Ryan Reynolds and I thought it was a comedy. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a comedy horror, so it wasn't really my type of movie. It's a very strange movie, and it had some fun moments, but it's much too bloody for my taste.
I watched that recently and thought it started out ok. Once it went horror I thought it was pretty lousy.

@John-Connor,
I watched Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010), and I liked it, especially the beautiful animation. The story wasn't very original, but between the animation and the excellent voice acting, it kept my attention from start to finish. I've always found owls fascinating, so it was a lot of fun watching this movie. It had a little bit of everything from drama to action, and more. When the young owls were kidnapped by bigger owls, it reminded me of the flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz. I don't think this will make my list, but I enjoyed watching it.

margaret (kenneth lonergan, 2011)
I saw Margaret (2011) shortly after I joined MoFo, but it's been so long that I remembered very little about the movie except that it had something to do with a death, and that I liked the movie. I rewatched the movie, and I still liked it, but I was surprised that I didn't remember that Mark Ruffalo, Matt Damon, and Allison Janney were in it, because they're all actors whose movies I tend to watch for.

Even though Lisa isn't a very likable person, I still felt bad for her. I would have liked to see a little more of her before the accident to see how much it changed her. She was struggling with her own guilt, which caused her to make poor decisions. She kept telling more and more people her version of the accident, and it was obviously affecting her, so I was surprised that nobody suggested that she see a psychiatrist to help her.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Margaret"!!!" spoilers below
I had mixed feelings about the ending. It felt like she was the only one who was punished, (even though she was the one punishing herself), while the bus driver got away without facing any punishment at all, but I liked how she started to mend her relationship with her mother.

Nobody recommended The Words (2012) to me, but it was already a favorite of mine, so I wanted to rewatch it because it has a good chance to make my list. I thought about nominating this movie in the Group Watch thread, but I've read that some people around here don't seem to like Bradley Cooper for some reason, so I decided against it.

I love this movie about a writer reading his book at a public appearance. His book is a "story within a story", within the story of the movie. It tells a story that includes another man's story. While on the surface, this movie seems like it's about Bradley Cooper's character, at it's heart, it's about the old man's story. Jeremy Irons is terrific as the old man, and Bradley Cooper is very good too. I think even people who don't usually like him might like his performance here. He's much more subdued here than in some of his other movies.

I highly recommend this movie, and I hope some people will watch it for this countdown.

@Miss Vicky,
I watched The Illusionist (2010), and I liked it, but I didn't love it. It's a cute story, but I didn't like the two main characters. She was so naive that she just followed him and took everything he gave her without realizing how much it was hurting him, and he spent every penny he had, and worked like a dog, to buy her stuff, just to keep up her illusion that magic was real. They just didn't belong together. But I did like that she cared so much about the rest of the people who lived in their building. It's a pretty good movie, but it won't make my list.

@Citizen Rules,
I watched Please Stand By (2017), and I liked it, but I think that might have more to do with the Star Trek part of the plot than the road trip story. Dakota Fanning is excellent as the autistic girl, Wendy. There were a few minor plot holes, but nothing that hurt the movie at all.

It's an enjoyable movie with a Star Trek twist. Thanks for the great recommendation.

Nobody recommended Real Steel (2011) to me, but this is a favorite movie that I wanted to rewatch for this countdown because it has a good chance to make my list.

I love this movie more and more every time I watch it. I love the way the relationship grows between Charlie and Max. I love how much heart this robot has, and how much fun it is to watch Max and Atom together. I generally don't like fight scenes, but the exciting fight scene at the end is one of my favorite scenes.

I highly recommend this movie.