2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
Also, time for another teaser? 👀
I wanted to do that but I've been stuck home with covid for the past week and I haven't been able to muster the courage of connecting remotely to the pc I keep that stuff on and deal with the eventual jitter while making it.

The trick is not minding
I wanted to do that but I've been stuck home with covid for the past week and I haven't been able to muster the courage of connecting remotely to the pc I keep that stuff on and deal with the eventual jitter while making it.
Hope you feel better man. Don’t worry about the teasers haha. Get better.

The trick is not minding
Update 12/30
Normal mode finished.
Nightmare Mode: 4 left. All from Harold Lloyd. Not gonna lie. His films have a bit of a slog. Not nearly as entertaining as Chaplin or Keaton. Still, taking a much needed dive into his filmography.
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Welcome to the human race...
Okay, I'm done.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Also answers to Jabba
Update 12/30
Normal mode finished.
Nightmare Mode: 4 left. All from Harold Lloyd.
Are you going to try and finish in time?

@Iroquois what did you think of Manila in the Claws of Light? I want to watch it soon and it is by Lino Borcka who directed Insiang, my favortie film for 2022.

Some thoughts on Z, another personal favorite of mine would be highly appreciated.

Welcome to the human race...
@Iroquois what did you think of Manila in the Claws of Light? I want to watch it soon and it is by Lino Borcka who directed Insiang, my favortie film for 2022.

Some thoughts on Z, another personal favorite of mine would be highly appreciated.
I really liked both Manila in the Claws of Light and Z. The former I find amusing because it came up on MUBI due to the World Cinema Project and it's hard not to think of it as having potentially played an influence on Scorsese when he was making Taxi Driver as both films prove so adept at depicting urban squalor as a protagonist tries to do what he thinks is right (though in the former case it's arguably more justified, but still not without nuance). Z is also impressive, a post-assassination procedural that really looks to paint a larger picture of various sociopolitical complexities while also delivering a captivating thriller at the same time, which I definitely think it succeeds at (enough so that, when I watched Missing a little more recently, I couldn't help but think that Costa-Gavras had gone and made a slightly more conventional version of Z, though that is still a great film in its own right).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
On my second attempt at one of these excellent challenges, while getting more accomplished, I am still WAY BEHIND from any attempt at completion. Still, I SO do enjoy these, and I'm excited to see the new challenges set before us by Jabs and see where some of these unwatched films may fit into next year's.
For the films I've watched, I could easily recommend the majority of them with a few clinched additions to my favorite films. At the top of the list would be Carne's Les Enfants du Paradis (1945), and quite a few others that, instead of listing them, I will simply post:

Watchlist
Watched

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Also answers to Jabba
I really liked both Manila in the Claws of Light and Z. The former I find amusing because it came up on MUBI due to the World Cinema Project and it's hard not to think of it as having potentially played an influence on Scorsese when he was making Taxi Driver as both films prove so adept at depicting urban squalor as a protagonist tries to do what he thinks is right (though in the former case it's arguably more justified, but still not without nuance). Z is also impressive, a post-assassination procedural that really looks to paint a larger picture of various sociopolitical complexities while also delivering a captivating thriller at the same time, which I definitely think it succeeds at (enough so that, when I watched Missing a little more recently, I couldn't help but think that Costa-Gavras had gone and made a slightly more conventional version of Z, though that is still a great film in its own right).

I am holding off on Manila for 2023 for reasons that will become apparent soon.

You have no doubt noticed that Z refers to an actual assassination of a politician in Greece and due to the military junta a the time, the film was shot in France instead. As a Greek, it has an extra layer of realism for me, not only because I was somewhat familiar with the story, but because Costa-Gavras managed to create settings that looked like Greece of that era, even sprinkling in newspapers, posters, food and drinks that are Greek in every scene he could. I thought I'd throw in that little tidbit since it may not be noticeable by everyone.

The trick is not minding
Finished!
Looking forward to next years challenges!
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

The trick is not minding
If anyone is on letterboxd, there are also three separate challenges much shorter worth checking out as well.

There’s the Annual Letterboxd challenge (33 categories)

The Film School Dropouts Challenge (48+4 bonus)

The Criterion Channel Challenge (52)

Each has some crossover with categories but are run independently. Interesting and may be fun to add along with Jabs challenges.

Yeah, I fell a bit short. But I made good progress.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Also answers to Jabba
Thank you to everyone who participated this year! To those who succeeded congratulations, to those who didn't make it till the end, there's always next year!

See you in the 2023 challenge!