Obamacare is upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court!

Tools    

Sorry, I somehow missed this post until now.

Perhaps we do have some truly irreconcilable differences, but I'm not sure that precludes us from talking about this issue. You say that all of my arguments illustrate that universal care actually involves sacrifices, but a) those sacrifices are important, and b) a lot of them have been about the specific rhetoric used, too.

If universal care involves sacrifices, obviously you can still argue that it's worthwhile in spite of them, but they matter. They force us to decide what our real priorities are. Since you acknowledge that significant rationing is inevitable, for example, the corollary to that is that you're willing to sacrifice height of care for breadth. This will inevitably cause some people to die. Which may mean your top priority is merely to make sure people don't die or go bankrupt for one reason (they can't afford it) rather than another (there not being enough to go around in general). Perhaps you care more about the idea of people being in the same boat than you do about the size or quality of the boat. Perhaps inequality with abundance offends your sensibilities more than overall scarcity with equality. And maybe this is valid; that's the part we probably can't hope to reconcile. But we can shine light on these underlying assumptions. I do so in part because, deep down, I don't think our core assumptions are all that different, but if I'm wrong, it's still important to get those cards on the table. It's still important to point out that there are real downsides to these reforms.

As for rhetoric, well...words matter, too. You can think universal care is important and worthwhile, but acknowledge that it's not a "right," but just a good idea. I'd generally rather talk about the idea itself, but the rhetoric around this issue (particularly the idea that it's a "right") is awfully dense, so it's necessary to cut some of that away to really talk about the issue.

And, of course, there are issues of basic consistency. If you justify the mandate by saying we need the young to pay for the old, I don't think you can simultaneously say we should let the old die to keep costs down for everyone else. That's a problem you have to resolve even if we assume you're right about healthcare in general. We could have radically different worldviews, but as long as we agree on the law of non-contradiction, that's a thing we can talk about.

You have been very respectful and very thoughtful, so I'm certainly not going to berate you or imply anything negative about you or your position if you elect not to address these things. It takes a lot of time and thought and can be tiring. But I do think there are plenty of issues here that can be discussed even without agreement on more fundamental issues...if we really disagree on those fundamental issues much at all, underneath all the rhetoric and political atmosphere.

By the way, the only reason I noticed this post after missing it before is because I cam back in here to post a link to this EconTalk podcast (hosted by Russ Roberts, who I had the good fortune to interview once) about health care. EconTalk is a fabulous podcast in general, but this episode is particularly good. It's with Scott Atlas, who works for Stanford University's Hoover Institution, and he makes some really excellent points about a lot of the common arguments surrounding health care in the United States and the rest of the world.

I'm not quite finished listening to it, but he does a particularly effective job laying waste to the idea that healthcare outcomes in the United States are sub-par. They may be relative to cost, but certainly not in total terms, when you make even the most basic of common sense adjustments to how statistics like life expectancy or infant mortality are determined. Ditto for his deconstruction of the "50 million uninsured" claim that gets tossed around a lot.

Still lots to debate, but as I alluded to before, there's a very dense jungle of rhetoric and oft-repeated claims on health care, and any serious discussion needs to take a weed-killer to a lot of them before a meaningful discussion has any chance of flourishing. Highly recommended.

Also, Atlas sounds a lot like Bob Odenkirk (AKA: Saul Goodman on Breaking Bad). So there's that.

Semper Fooey
I can't take anything seriously by someone named Scott Atlas. Didn't he have ads about how he used to be a puny weakling on the back of old comic books?

I guess that was his father, Charles:

I saw a parody ad where Mac after he beefed up punched out the girl instead for calling him a little boy.
I

Okay, now this is even worse than Dick Cheney with his heart transplant at 70. Apparently now, Neil Armstrong has been given a heart bypass operation, at the age of 82! This is just flat out ridiculous. I think we need to acknowledge as a society that we are not meant to live forever, and that aging, and yes, dying, are part of life. The idea that everyone seems to want to live until 100 is just insane. We can't afford this. I suppose that if his doctors said that with this bypass operation, he could live another 10 years, it might be worth it, assuming he was not at risk of other major health illnesses, but most people, who are 82, are not in that kind of condition. They'll get the bypass operation, and then two years down the line die from something else. I mean, if Neil Armstrong wants to get a bypass operation at 82, more power to him, but Medicare should not be paying for this. I fail to see how this makes any sense. Medicare is going broke, we have finite resources, others who are younger and in better health could make far better use of these resources than someone who is 82, and we have 50 million people who have no health insurance at all, which those on the other side of the aisle say we just can't afford to fix. But, miraculously, we apparently have unlimited resources, and can totally afford to give 82 year old people bypass operations. How do people not see the glaring contradiction here? This just flat out doesn't make any sense, and wouldn't be done in any other country in the world. When people wonder why health care costs are out of control in this country, it's because of things like this! This is sad. If Niel Armstrong, or anyone, wants to get a bypass operation at 82, he should do it on his own dime. Currently, we have a system where 82 year old Neil Armstrong can get a heart bypass, but 50 million other Americans, of all ages, have no health insurance, and very limited access to care at all! How does this make sense? What kind of healthcare system is this?

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...armstrong.html

Okay, now this is even worse than Dick Cheney with his heart transplant at 70. Apparently now, Neil Armstrong has been given a heart bypass operation, at the age of 82! This is just flat out ridiculous. I think we need to acknowledge as a society that we are not meant to live forever, and that aging, and yes, dying, are part of life. The idea that everyone seems to want to live until 100 is just insane. We can't afford this. I suppose that if his doctors said that with this bypass operation, he could live another 10 years, it might be worth it, assuming he was not at risk of other major health illnesses, but most people, who are 82, are not in that kind of condition. They'll get the bypass operation, and then two years down the line die from something else. I mean, if Neil Armstrong wants to get a bypass operation at 82, more power to him, but Medicare should not be paying for this.
Is Medicare paying for it? I did a quick search and can't find any mention of that.

Anyway, are we arguing about this or not? Because this is just raising the same issues you were saying we can't possibly hope to resolve before. If you want to talk about Neil Armstrong and how we should let him die (which is the implication of what you're saying, right?), I'm certainly interested, but the first thing I'd do is just point back to the part of the conversation about older citizens we were having before.

Semper Fooey
I don't have a problem with bypass surgery.

But transplants for someone, say, over 85, or an alcoholic who needs a liver transplant, when it is a scarce resource and that same liver could save a child with the same ailment, that is different.

It doesn't, which is one of my big problems with it, aside from the illegal stuff. It won't do anything about the actual practice, which has always been a huge problem. They're willing to allow stuff like those dangerous injections to happen to fight lesbianism but when hemp was proven to help cure cancer back in the 40s it was blacklisted.

I don't have a problem with bypass surgery.

But transplants for someone, say, over 85, or an alcoholic who needs a liver transplant, when it is a scarce resource and that same liver could save a child with the same ailment, that is different.
Getting into moral judgements about who deserves treatment is a dodgy area isn't it?

Semper Fooey
Moral judgments are made all the time.

They aren't that dodgy in this case.

Alcoholics and people in their eighties are living on borrowed time.