Tom Selleck: "Blue Bloods" and The "Jesse Stone series"

Tools    

Has anybody read The Jesse Stone novels, or seen any of the movies? I've seen all the movies. I really enjoy the character, and feel like Tom Selleck does a great job in the role. While I feel the movies vary in quality, I always really enjoy the character. I also enjoy "Blue Bloods," which is a show about a family of cops, a prosecutor, and their relationships. Since I enjoy the movies, I am hoping someone may have read the novels and will be able to give me their thoughts on whether they maintain the same level of quality. How about "Blue Bloods?" What does everyone think about the show?

As Jesse Stone, Selleck plays a loner Police Chief, who is very laconic, has a strong sense of justice and doing what's right, and struggles with his own personal demons. It's a very interesting character.

The next Jesse Stone movie is showing on CBS at 9PM tonight, so if you'd like to give Jesse Stone a shot, this would be a good time to do so. Several of the movies are also playing on-demand on Netflix, and can be watched online. I hope you guys check it out, and I'll be looking forward to reading the thoughts in this thread.

Semper Fooey
I'd rather watch Peter Gunn reruns on Me TV. They don't make a lick of sense, but what the hell. It is practically a parody of film noir with beautiful deadly women, cops who couldn't tie their own shoes, and everything is so dark it is amazing Gunn doesn't trip over his own feet. Craig Stevens sounds like Cary Grant with an American accent, never loses his cool, and when he isn't exchanging witticisms with his girlfriend, Edie Hart, or Detective Jacoby, he is is knocked unconscious by thugs, but evens the score later when he beats the hell out of them, three or four against one. If you want to hire him he doesn't come cheap. He charges a thousand dollars, which was big money in 1958. And he doesn't even have an office. He hangs out in a jazz club. He is not much of a detective, really. He solves his cases by paying twenty bucks to his many stoolies for information. When you only have half an hour you can't waste a lot of time on legwork. His best stoolie is Billy Barty as a pool shark. Oh, and that Henry Mancini score! Bap-de-bap-de-bap-de-bap!Ba! Ba! Ba! Ba! Ba! Ba! Baaaaaaaaa!

I've seen all of the Jessee Stone movies other than the latest one. I like the character, although I think that the earlier movies were more interesting.

I saw this film last night. Overall, I enjoyed it. I really like the music in this series. The main theme song for Jesse Stone is fairly minimalist and unobtrusive but very catchy. I hope another network picks these movies up and that they continue doing them. Selleck says this is likely the last one at CBS. They definitely are anachronistic, but the fact that these are slow-burning stories is part of the series charm. I did have one complaint though. I found the ending very rushed and quite abrupt. Tom Selleck isn't a screenwriter, and it shows at times. I also grew tired of the characters saying "a cop deserves the benefit of the doubt" over and over again. Did anybody else watch this? What did you think? Like Cinemaafficionado, I do find the early ones to be better than the last few. Enjoy!