Is Clint Eastwood a better director than he is an actor?

Tools    

Is Clint Eastwood a better director or actor?
35.42%
17 votes
Actor
64.58%
31 votes
Director
48 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is better than anything he directed but he directed many great movies so it's a hard choice. His greatest contribution has been as director, though, since actors are less important.

As an actor, Eastwood is one of those actors who mainly play themselves in different clothes and scenery. His direction, however, results in movies with a spare, economical, direct and nearly merciless look at a character. He has a really unique look in his movies.

I think Eastwood has turned out to be a fantastic director...I think his Oscar for MYSTIC RIVER was richly deserved. I also think he did Oscar-worthy work in MILLION DOLLAR BABY and GRAN TORINO.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think Eastwood has turned out to be a fantastic director...I think his Oscar for MYSTIC RIVER was richly deserved.
Eastwood's only directing Oscar was for Unforgiven.

Mark, Eastwood has two Oscars for Directing. He won for both "Unforgiven" and "Million Dollar Baby." He was also nominated but did not win for directing "Mystic River" and "Letters From Iwo Jima."

Yes he is.

I find his movies whilst occasionally great (Unforgiven) are generally are just solid and mired in maudlin sentiment (e.g. Gran Torino...a film where everyone elses roles are under-written and 1/2 dimensional).

In all honesty, Ben Affleck is much more interesting actor/director, his films so far have been excellent.

Must be doin sumthin right
Recently watched Gone Baby Gone for the first time and I liked it more than any Eastwood-directed movie I've seen

Affleck the actor > Eastwood the actor is madness to me though

Must be doin sumthin right
Ha well that's the one I'd actually really to see

For Eastwood the director I've seen Gran Torino, Changeling, Letters from Iwo Jima, Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River, Space Cowboys, A Perfect World, Unforgiven, White Hunter Black Heart, Bird, Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter and Play Misty For Me

White Hunter Black Heart and Gran Torino are the only ones of these I like a lot. I'm really not into most of his more acclaimed movies but ya Josey Wales definitely looks interesting

Affleck is in no way a more interesting actor/director than Clint Eastwood.
Sorry guys didn't explain very well.

Think Affleck is possibly (have to say possible its early in his career) the more accomplished director of the two, and less reliant on maudlin sentiment, etc.

I would agree that Eastwood is the better screen presence/actor though.

Sorry.

^^^

Fair enough dude, IMO. Just too many of Eastwoods movies like Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby for example don't work for me.

Everyone of Afflecks movie so far have worked.

If anything though, they are similar in style (non-flashy).

Who's going to believe a talking head?
Think Affleck is possibly (have to say possible its early in his career) the more accomplished director of the two, and less reliant on maudlin sentiment, etc.
What?! Have you even seen Eastwood's earlier films from The Outlaw Josey Wales to Unforgiven?