Clint Eastwood Tribeca Talk with Darren Aranofsky

Tools    

Clint Eastwood recently was interviewed by Darren Aranofsky at the Tribeca Film Festival. The full video is at the following link:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/3...events/2048983

I was at this. I ended up being able to sit in the front row right in the center! It was great! To be honest I was a bit star struck during Clint's talk, so I came away from it feeling as if Aranofsky wasn't very probing, but for someone less familiar with his career than I am, I think this had a lot of good information. What did everyone else think of Aranofsky's interview?

I did really enjoy hearing Clint's views on technology's use in film and the pros and cons of film and digital, and why he still likes film better. I also thought Clint had a really great sense of humor and an ease and affability that was very attractive. When Aranofsky mentioned that he hoped that Eastwood would still be directing at 105, Eastwood remarked that he would like to do that but "that would be the ultimate optimism." I thought that was really funny. He also had a great line when recounting how, like his mentor Don Siegel, he would often steal suggestions from anyone in the production that had them if they were good. He remarked that "you have to have a criminal mentality to be a film director." Overall, I found the whole experience to be enjoyable. I'd encourage everyone to check this out, and let us all know your impressions

I also really wish that Aranofsky asked Eastwood what he was doing next. This would have been at the top of the list of questions that I would have asked. I was disappointed that Aranofsky didn't ask such an obvious question.

I really enjoyed the story Eastwood told about how he dealt with difficult actors. Rather than fight with the actor who wanted to play a scene in a way that was not practically possible, Eastwood appealed to the actor's ego and sense of pride. This was a really good anecdote that explains Eastwood's directorial style. Many directors would likely have pulled a power trip, but Eastwood instead used soft power. I thought that was very interesting.

I'm surprised that this didn't really get many responses. Since this is a movie board, I was hoping that all of your movie fans would be interested in watching this video and engaging in a discussion of Eastwood's life and career. Darren Aranofsky and Clint Eastwood talking about film together seemed pretty attractive to me, so I thought people would be all over this!

I'm surprised that this didn't really get many responses. Since this is a movie board, I was hoping that all of your movie fans would be interested in watching this video and engaging in a discussion of Eastwood's life and career. Darren Aranofsky and Clint Eastwood talking about film together seemed pretty attractive to me, so I thought people would be all over this!
I'm off to sleep soon (UK) and as its 40 minutes long I'll definitely have to watch it tomorrow. I love Eastwood as both an actor and director, so I'll post up something once I've watched it, not actually seen an Aronofsky film though I don't think.

Thanks for your reply, Daniel!! I look forward to hearing your response! Enjoy the video!