Clint Eastwood returns to the screen in "Trouble with the Curve" (trailer enclosed)

Tools    

After a nearly 4 year absence, Clint Eastwood returns to the screen in "Trouble With the Curve." It's a relationship drama co-starring Amy Adams, and features Eastwood as a baseball scout, who goes on a road trip with his daughter (Amy Adams) to scout a hot new prospect. It also marks the first time in nearly 20 years in which he appears in a film he did not direct. This one is being directed by his producing partner, Robert Lorenz. The trailer is here: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/troubl...-30208761.html

I am a huge Eastwood fan, and am very interested in this project, and would love to hear what everyone else thinks. So, let's start things off with this, what did everyone think of this trailer? What kind of film do you think this is going to be, and how effective was this trailer in getting you interested in seeing this film? "Trouble With the Curve" opens on September 21st.

hmm saw the trailer and Timberlake just seems out of place in an Eastwood movie. Hopefully it won't ruin it for me. Timberlake can be fun to watch, he was a perfect fit for his role in Social Network, just doesn't seem like a fit in this. Figured Eastwood would have gone with a real actor with chops...but then again I didn't really figure how Timberlake's character fits.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Humm, I don't think Timberlake looks out of place at all. It's not a film I'm going to rush to see because of the baseball element, but I'll rent it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Seems like the opposite of what Moneyball was trying to tell us.

Anyways, I was under the impression Gran Torino was Eastwood's last starring role, his send off if you will. Guess I was wrong.

Suspect's Reviews

I've watched this trailer a few times now, and I have to say that I find it to be very disappointing. From this, it's hard to get a sense of what kind of film this actually seeks to be. Is it a comedy? Is it a drama? It's unclear to me. The most interesting aspects of the trailer were the hints of more dramatic scenes, but there was very little of that. Of course, the trailer may or may not be representative of the film. Trailers are sometimes misleading, but on the basis of this trailer, if I wasn't already an Eastwood fan, this wouldn't motivate me to want to go see the film. Of his recent films, this seems more like "Space Cowboys" than it does "Gran Torino" or "Million Dollar Baby." If this trailer is representative of the film, I can't really see what it was about this project that made Eastwood decide to return to the screen. Both "Gran Torino" and "Million Dollar Baby" trailers had an undercurrent of melancholy, a hint of something greater that I don't see here. It was that melancholy, that emotional resonance, that allowed both films to rise above genre conventions. With this, all I see are cliches."Gran Torino" was such a perfect last film for him as an actor, it isn't clear to me why Eastwood would want to return for this. Eastwood's done a lot of really worthwhile, substantial films, and he's earned the right to have a good time, so if that's what he's doing here, he's earned that right. At the same time, given that Eastwood is 82, and this is most likely the last time we will ever see him appear onscreen, I'd personally like to see something more substantial. This doesn't appear to be the kind of emotionally resonant, weighty Eastwood film I was hoping for, or expecting. During production, there was speculation that Eastwood could be a contender for Best Actor this year, but based on this trailer, I don't see much potential for this to be an Academy Awards contender. I'll still be there on opening day, but I'm hoping there's more to this project than this trailer suggests.

I saw the preview for this playing before both "Hope Springs" and "The Bourne Legacy." It sure is good to see Clint back up on the big screen!

Advanced screening reviews for this have been overwhelmingly positive. Roger Ebert has called it "wonderful." This film may be better than the trailers suggest.
http://www.gofobo.com/movie/trouble_.../movie_reviews

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I think he is a little too old to be playing Amy Adams dad. More like Grandad (44 years between them so actually not as bad as I thought).

He should come back for one more man with no name epic western, actually what am I saying, no he shouldn't.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I've watched this trailer a few times now, and I have to say that I find it to be very disappointing. From this, it's hard to get a sense of what kind of film this actually seeks to be. Is it a comedy? Is it a drama? It's unclear to me. The most interesting aspects of the trailer were the hints of more dramatic scenes, but there was very little of that. Of course, the trailer may or may not be representative of the film. Trailers are sometimes misleading, but on the basis of this trailer, if I wasn't already an Eastwood fan, this wouldn't motivate me to want to go see the film. Of his recent films, this seems more like "Space Cowboys" than it does "Gran Torino" or "Million Dollar Baby." If this trailer is representative of the film, I can't really see what it was about this project that made Eastwood decide to return to the screen. Both "Gran Torino" and "Million Dollar Baby" trailers had an undercurrent of melancholy, a hint of something greater that I don't see here. It was that melancholy, that emotional resonance, that allowed both films to rise above genre conventions. With this, all I see are cliches."Gran Torino" was such a perfect last film for him as an actor, it isn't clear to me why Eastwood would want to return for this. Eastwood's done a lot of really worthwhile, substantial films, and he's earned the right to have a good time, so if that's what he's doing here, he's earned that right. At the same time, given that Eastwood is 82, and this is most likely the last time we will ever see him appear onscreen, I'd personally like to see something more substantial. This doesn't appear to be the kind of emotionally resonant, weighty Eastwood film I was hoping for, or expecting. During production, there was speculation that Eastwood could be a contender for Best Actor this year, but based on this trailer, I don't see much potential for this to be an Academy Awards contender. I'll still be there on opening day, but I'm hoping there's more to this project than this trailer suggests.
Ever heard of a paragraph?

It's Clint Eastwood. Of course I will be watching this. Amy Adams is a great actress too so there is another reason. I can't stand Justin Timberlake he is worse than Ashton Kutcher. But maybe he will surprise me. This could be a sleeper for the Oscars.

I'm seeing an advance screening of this tonight in San Diego! For those who are interested in seeing an advance screening of this or another film, check out this website for one in your area: http://www.getscreening.com/free-mov...ty=San%20Diego

Semper Fooey
Does he talk to a chair?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Does he talk to a chair?
If I could rep you for this more than once, I'd so do it. That made my day.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Clint does not talk to a chair.

I saw this last night. Overall, I would have to say I was underwhelmed. I don't really have any interest in baseball, so the baseball jargon and scouting scenes weren't very interesting for me. I was mostly interested in the relationship dynamics between Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams characters. There is one scene in a hotel room towards the end of the film that is quite good, and is a little bit more emotionally resonant, but on the whole, the film is very light. Those hoping for a substantial, emotionally powerful film will be disappointed. This is not "Gran Torino" or "Million Dollar Baby." Those expecting a rousing sports drama with a big game at the end with the team triumphing will also be disappointed. This is a simple story. It is very plainly told. There are very few surprises.

As you all know I love Eastwood, but I feel like we've seen versions of this character many times before. I would be very surprised to see this nominated at the Academy Awards. There is nothing about this film, or about Eastwood's performance, that merit Oscar consideration. Eastwood's given much better performances in much better films.

Clint is Clint, and Amy Adams is good, but she isn't given very much to work with. Justin Timberlake was okay. I didn't find myself cringing at his performance, but his character was very underdeveloped. It seems like they just added him in to the story because they thought they needed a romantic subplot. His role is really not integral to the story.

The relationship themes hinted at in the trailer are there, but they are fairly superficially explored. The scene in the hotel room I mentioned earlier explores the abandonment theme more closely. It details exactly why Eastwood's character abandoned the Adams character early in her life, and it is well done and surprising. It's the films best scene by far. If there were more scenes like that, it would have been a much better movie.

The film ends the only way it can. The way things are wrapped up is very cliche, but nicely done.

As for some of the other supporting players, John Goodman gives a very good performance. I feel like he did a lot with the screen time he had, and was definitely the right man for the role.

The one thing about this film that really did surprise me was that I actually missed Eastwood's musical score. I've been complaining for awhile about his scores consisting of the same piano keys playing over and over, but I missed it just the same. Marco Belltrami's score doesn't really have a unifying theme, while Eastwood's scores always do. I know that it's probably very unexpected for me to say that I preferred Eastwood's fairly one note scores to that of a two-time Academy Award nominated composer, but I did, and I thought that was worth noting.

Overall, I felt as if this film was okay. It's not a bad film. It's just not an excellent one, either. The trailer is very representative of the tone of the film. If you liked it, you'll probably like the film. If you didn't, you may be disappointed. If you have muted expectations, or enjoy baseball, you might really enjoy this, but if you are hoping for or expecting something beyond that, you will be disappointed. There are some things that are good, but ultimately the story just is not very interesting. "Gran Torino" was a much better film for Eastwood to go out on. I really can't see why Clint Eastwood chose to come out of acting retirement for this.