Clint Eastwood to star in, but not direct, new film!

Tools    

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/clin...omment-1104413

I don't even like baseball, but this is the best news ever. I was getting doubtful that he'd be back. Go Clint!! See you on opening day! Get that Best Actor Oscar, baby!!

This project must be something really special. "Gran Torino" was the perfect way to go out. If anybody has read the script, let us know more, though I don't want anything too spoilerish. "Million Dollar Baby" and "Gran Torino" were really amazing. I hope he isn't making a mistake. I am so looking forward to this I can't even tell you. I wish somebody knew something more about this project and what might have enticed him to come back, besides Beyonce's pregnancy. Thank you, Beyonce!!!

As many of you know, I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks of this project.

I personally think he wants his Best Actor Oscar, and I think he deserves it. I hope this role will earn it for him.

Semper Fooey
Anything that prevents another remake of A Star is Born is a good thing. (Can you think of a less likely project for Clint Eastwood?)

His business partner may be the credited director, but we all know who really will be directing it.

It looks like this project is happening, and that they may have found a costar to play Eastwood's daughter.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/10/s...-the-curve.php

What does everyone think of this? How do you think Bullock might pair off alongside Eastwood? Does Bullock have the acting chops to pull of this kind of a role?

I'm not a big Sandra Bullock fan. I did like her in "The Blindside," and felt she gave a very good performance. Eastwood does often tend to bring out the best performances in even mediocre actors. See "A Perfect World" with Kevin Costner as an example of this.

I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks.

I think he's one of the greatest actors of all time, but I think Gran Torino was a good swan song for him. But, if it prevents him from teaming up with Beyonce (yuck!), I'm all for it.

As far as I know, he is still doing "A Star is Born" with Beyonce. I am personally not a fan of this project, but Clint Eastwood is very interested in music. He does his own scoring for his films. He has a great affinity for jazz. I think he's interested in this project because he's challenged by the prospect of doing a musical. I hope it's good. I haven't seen any of the other versions of the movie, so I don't know how good the source material might be.

The reason for this new project is that Beyonce got pregnant, and Eastwood doesn't want to sit doing nothing when he was planning on doing a project.

The thread title is misleading. Based on the linked article, Eastwood is rumored to be considering this project ("Instead, I hear he's seriously looking at ..."), but he has not committed to it. For Eastwood to not direct the film would prove especially surprising since he last starred in a movie that he did not direct in 1993's In the Line of Fire (Wolfgang Petersen) and he last starred in a movie for his Malpaso production company without directing in 1989's Pink Cadillac (Buddy Van Horn). Perhaps he wants to give Robert Lorenz a great opportunity with which to make a directorial debut, but for Eastwood to not take the director's chair would be anomalous based on the last two decades.

So while the rumor may eventually prove correct, interpreting the rumor at face value would be premature at this juncture.

Semper Fooey
The thread title is misleading. Based on the linked article, Eastwood is rumored to be is considering this project ("Instead, I hear he's seriously looking at ..."), but he has not committed to it. For Eastwood to not direct the film would prove especially surprising since he last starred in a movie that he did not direct in 1993's In the Line of Fire (Wolfgang Petersen) and he last starred in a movie for his Malpaso production company without directing in 1988's The Dead Pool (Buddy Van Horn). Perhaps he wants to give Robert Lorenz a great opportunity with which to make a directorial debut, but for Eastwood to not take the director's chair would be anomalous based on the last two decades.

So while the rumor may eventually prove correct, interpreting the rumor at face value would be premature at this juncture.
If the movie gets made with a newbie friend of Eastwood in the director's chair, we know who will be directing the director.

Semper Fooey
As far as I know, he is still doing "A Star is Born" with Beyonce. I am personally not a fan of this project, but Clint Eastwood is very interested in music. He does his own scoring for his films. He has a great affinity for jazz. I think he's interested in this project because he's challenged by the prospect of doing a musical. I hope it's good. I haven't seen any of the other versions of the movie, so I don't know how good the source material might be.

The reason for this new project is that Beyonce got pregnant, and Eastwood doesn't want to sit doing nothing when he was planning on doing a project.
If he actially makes that he is nuts. It is such a tired old cliche story by now. There is even another unofficial version coming out this year as a new silent movie!

I saw Joel Cox, Eastwood's editor of 36 years, at the Carmel Film Festival recently. He told me directly that Clint Eastwood is doing this project, that he is starring in it, that he is not planning to direct it, and that it should start filming after the first of the year, likely in March.

Semper Fooey
Anything that delays him making A Star is Born is a good thing. Just so we are all clear what that is about, and I am not putting spoilers because the story is so well known:

Young rising star (female) marries a fading star. She gets bigger, he goes the other way and commits suicide.

That's it. It was first done as What Price Hollywood a little different, actress marries a director instead of an actor, the definitive version starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March, which benefits greatly from a witty script co-written by Dorothy Parker, then the fifties musical version with Judy Garland and James Mason which is overrated. Then the terrible Barbra Streisand version that changed the setting to the music industry. Ironically, all three versions had actresses too old to be young: Gaynor was actually fading out, the movie's popularity gave her a couple more years before she retired; Garland's was a comeback role, but she made few films after it; and Streisand was pushing forty when she made her version. Eastwood would probably make something better than the Streisand version, but is that any reason to prop up this old warhorse?

Confirmation from Eastwood himself that he is planning on starring in this project, and that it will likely be his next film:

You're also going to star in Trouble With the Curve, the directing debut of your producing partner Robert Lorenz. What's that?

It's a relationship story between a father and daughter, and the father is an older dude -- I have to work hard on that one! The daughter is a lawyer and trying to help him with the usual things that happen when you become a senior citizen. She gives up her career, which is going well, to help him -- and he's not an appreciative guy. It's got some good characters. I'll probably do that first, but we are still in the initial stages. -
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...astwood-256092

Sandra Bullock was rumored to play Eastwood's daughter in this film, but it looks as if she has passed on the project. Now the filmmakers are looking at Amy Adams and Reese Witherspoon.

I think Adams and Witherspoon are both better actresses than Sandra Bullock. At the same time, Bullock is significantly older. My initials thoughts are that both of them may be too young for the role of daughter to an 81 year old Eastwood.

It's not the chronological age of Witherspoon and Adams that are the problem. It's the maturity that the role will likely require. A mid 40's woman is going to be more believable in the role than someone who is younger. The character is described by Eastwood as someone who gives up her career as a lawyer to help her aging father, and that the father is not appreciative. To play off well against Eastwood, it would make sense for the character to have a certain edge to her, a certain gravitas, a certain ability to push back and assert herself when ridiculed or criticized. All of these qualities will be more believable in someone who is older and accomplished than someone who is younger.

I think of the two actresses reportedly under consideration, I'd prefer Amy Adams. Although since Reese Witherspoon is a bankable star, and Adams is not, the producers would probably like to cast Witherspoon. I'd suspect Eastwood probably wants Adams, especially since she was under consideration for "J. Edgar." I think Adams is a much better actress, and I'd prefer to see her in the role.

http://thefilmstage.com/news/amy-ada...ith-the-curve/

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Damn, I was hoping for an Old Age "Man with No Name" return to correct some sort of small mining town injustice.