The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
By the way, anyone into video game development?
Nupe. But I've wanted to make a game for near 20 years now. Just no programming skill to pull it off!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Returnal Update
Phrike Encounter

As mentioned, here is an 18-minute partial run through Biome 1 of Returnal. By the time the video starts, the level has mostly been cleared except for the entry path to the level boss, Phrike. If you want to just see that character, jump to around the 14:00 mark. In the earlier clips, I'm just running around an empty map looking for health boost and confirming my weapon choice.

About 2:30 minutes in, I've entered the stairway to Phrike's pit. The stairway is guarded by a few ....eyeballs on legs? Each projects a spotlight along a perimeter. If you step into one of their light cones, the eye will blast a red laser your way. That kind of kicked things up a notch, as you can see me sprinting to escape. Unfortunately, I forgot that I had not already cleared this room so several of those freaky bat looking things spawn in and clear nearly half of my health before I was able to portal out. To help avoid this, you can temporarily blind the "eye" guards enough to get past it.

Unable to find any health boosts, I attempt to use my Selphium drain bonus from my weapon on those eye spotlight things at around 13:00. You can't kill them (as far as I am aware), but hoped I could syphon a bit of health from them. After checking my health a few times, nothing changed. So on I went to the proper confrontation at 67% integrity.

The weapon of choice is the pylon driver referenced in an earlier post. It creates a net of energy that drains the target. The bonus of this was a life transfer, passing a percentage of health back to me. Needless to say, I did not survive this encounter. This clip was my second effort. Last night I made a third and it was worse. Still a fun game though!

So that game is affecting my dreams now. Tentacles and weird squid blobs everywhere. Weird.

I attempted another run last night. It lasted just under 2 hours to find and challenge Phrike. It won, of course, but I have opened a few new weapon perks so that's cool. I guess. And I've hit a new spawn. That kinda sucks, as I thought I had plateaued on new baddies for a while.

The patterns of each room are becoming easier to navigate from memory, along with the locations of various drops you sometimes have to leave behind to return later for collection. Return. Get it? Cuz, Returnal? That can become an issue though. In that each run is a whole new randomized path, with new drop types and locations, if you run more than one cycle in a single session all that just blurs right up to each other. I spent 20 minutes, easy, earlier this week hunting one particular drop in a specific location only to realize that memory was from an earlier game. Sigh. I'm sure that at some point during development and testing this side effect came up. I like to think the team chuckled and added that to the wet board list of features, making players just as disoriented as Selene. Nice job on that meta.

Last game I bought and beat was Disgaea 5 Complete on PC in 2021, an excellent tactical RPG with more semi-animated cut scenes than the thickest of graphical novels, good thing you can skip the million scenes if you want to get to the gameplay.

You ready? You look ready.
Sad day y’all. My PS2 no longer reads PS2 games.

I am going to attempt a repair. There’s too much at stake!

Are they expensive to buy used, like on eBay?
A direct replacement is going to run like $100-150 after shipping. It thankfully still plays PS1 games but I was dead set on playing Shinobi this weekend. That’s when I discovered the broken pieces of my soul on the floor

Anyone have a PS5? I just got one, and am looking to add some friends if anyone is down.

Anyone have a PS5? I just got one, and am looking to add some friends if anyone is down.
My ID is ynwtf (I think?). Will confirm when home. That said, I don't have a PS+ sub and that seems to be a requirement for some online games. Too, the last time I played online was on the PS3 with Dust514. I am CLUELESS to online play at this point. I think @Tacitus also plays, but haven't seen him posting in a while.

I don't know your game style, but for smooth gameplay and gorgeous rendering, I can't help but push CONTROL, Red Dead Redemption II, Ghost of Tsushima and my current obsession, Returnal. Both CONTROL and Ghost are pretty difficult, but around the halfway point you sort of become a bit overpowered. Then the games become more about how many baddies you can sprint through at once. Fun stuff. Returnal is just one long, brutal, unforgiving, level run... enter at your own risk.

*EDIT*
Ghost of Tsushima has a few play modes that I should have mentioned, given the cinema theme of MOFO. you can play with english overdub, Japanese dialogue with or without subtitles, and a black and white "Kurosawa" mode, in the styling of Akira Kurosawa complete with old film grain and scratches.

This is a great novelty, but makes the game very difficult as so much of the look and visual cues to attack/defend are color based. I wouldn't try this with any seriousness until you've beaten the regular game, IMO.

so I got myself a conundrum

two possible solutions:

get a riser, or swap this to the Trinitron cart

My ID is ynwtf (I think?). Will confirm when home. That said, I don't have a PS+ sub and that seems to be a requirement for some online games. Too, the last time I played online was on the PS3 with Dust514. I am CLUELESS to online play at this point. I think @Tacitus also plays, but haven't seen him posting in a while.

I don't know your game style, but for smooth gameplay and gorgeous rendering, I can't help but push CONTROL, Red Dead Redemption II, Ghost of Tsushima and my current obsession, Returnal. Both CONTROL and Ghost are pretty difficult, but around the halfway point you sort of become a bit overpowered. Then the games become more about how many baddies you can sprint through at once. Fun stuff. Returnal is just one long, brutal, unforgiving, level run... enter at your own risk.

*EDIT*
Ghost of Tsushima has a few play modes that I should have mentioned, given the cinema theme of MOFO. you can play with english overdub, Japanese dialogue with or without subtitles, and a black and white "Kurosawa" mode, in the styling of Akira Kurosawa complete with old film grain and scratches.

This is a great novelty, but makes the game very difficult as so much of the look and visual cues to attack/defend are color based. I wouldn't try this with any seriousness until you've beaten the regular game, IMO.
i added u on ps5 aswell

i have ps5 my psn is IScarlet_WitchI
Hmmm, couldn't find you. My username is quantum_tea if you want to add me.

The Adventure Starts Here!

so I got myself a conundrum

two possible solutions:

get a riser, or swap this to the Trinitron cart
I had a somewhat similar issue. I replaced a wonky 32" TV (it was free) with a Black Friday deal on a 43" TV here in my office. The cool lazy susan I was using to swivel the 32" TV from the couch to my desk (depending on where I was in the room) was no longer wide enough. In a pinch I found a few old boards on the third floor. Those were long enough to accommodate the extra width of the TV, but the lazy susan wasn't deep enough to accommodate the spread of those wider feet on the TV. So I bought two cheap wooden rulers (the feet depth was about 9") to lay perpendicular on the boards, then topped it off with little pieces of rubbery shelf liner to keep the feet from slipping. It's ugly, but for now it's working just great and I still have the function of the lazy susan when I need it.