Bill Nighy, Living
24 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five nominees are...

Austin Butler, Elvis
Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
Brendan Fraser, The Whale
Paul Mescal, Aftersun
Bill Nighy, Living
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Fraser deserves it. Farrell or Butler could steal.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The trick is not minding
I Can see Butler winning, especially given Lisa Marie’s recent death. It would be a feel good moment the academy wouldn’t pass up, allowing Butler to not only dedicate it to her father, but his daughter as well.

All first time nominees. Neat.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Only seen two of the nominees...loved Austin Butler, but I gotta go with Colin Ferrell
here...it's his turn. I've heard nothing but amazing things about Fraser. but I haven't been able to find a place to watch The Whale yet.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I miss Ralph Fiennes in The Menu here. He was on the Golden Globes.
Also seen Farrell and Butler. Currently in searching for the Bill Nighy's movie.

I miss Ralph Fiennes in The Menu here. He was on the Golden Globes.
Also seen Farrell and Butler. Currently in searching for the Bill Nighy's movie.

Even though I knew it wasn't going to happen, I had a secret desire to see Fiennes get nominated for The Menu as well.

This will be the most competitive category. Butler, Farrell, or Fraser. It would be cool to see Butler win. I like the guy. He's going to be the next big movie star alas Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp...etc. His performance in Elvis was commanding. He also gave a great speech at the Globes. But Fraser's performance in The Whale was quite moving and his speech at the Critics Choice made me tear up and that's something that I don't do when listening to award speeches. Farrell seems like a cool guy but I was just never a fan of him as an actor, and thought his performance in Banshees was kinda bland.

I Can see Butler winning, especially given Lisa Marie’s recent death. It would be a feel good moment the academy wouldn’t pass up, allowing Butler to not only dedicate it to her father, but his daughter as well.
It could happen, but since Anthony Hopkins won the award over Chadwick Boseman (R.I.P.), it seems like real-life events don't have as much of an influence over the awards that they used to.

I'm rooting for Colin Farrell, partially because it would be nice for a comedic performance to win for a change.

Even though he deserves the nomination, I really don't see Butler winning because Lisa Marie died. And am I the only one who found nothing comedic about The Banishees of Inisherin?

Each nomination is so deserved. Have only seen three of the five (Farrell, Frasier, Mascal). Out of those three, Brendan F should get it, though Colin Farrell winning is possible too.

Just watched Aftersun, so I have now seen 3 out of the five nominees. Having a really hard time finding somewhere online to watch The Whale if anyone could help me with that, I'd be grateful. Actually, can't find anywhere to watch Living either.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Living is the one I still haven't seen, nice for Bill Nighy to get the nod although I think he's a long shot in this category.

Brendan Fraser is good in The Whale. It's not really a good film and he didn't have much to work with in terms of the script but he managed to convey a lot of emotion and character when not speaking. I think he will probably win and would deserve to.

I forgot the opening line.
I've seen only three of the five films nominated, but it's the three most people are talking about. I thought it was meant to be Colin Farrell vs Fraser for the Oscar, but I keep hearing people bring Austin Butler up for his Elvis, and all I can think is NO! No no no no no no. That won't do. For starters I don't want the Oscar to automatically go to the person who is impersonating someone in a biopic in whatever year the Oscar is handed out - it happens too often. There's a worse example in the Best Actress category. I didn't think he was better than Farrell or Fraser overall. I think Colin Farrell obviously deserves to win this year, and if he's beaten by Austin Butler I'll have a fit.

I thought Brendan Fraser had that Oscar-bait kind of role in The Whale, but he was also putting everything he had into it, and it's worthy of recognition. But ever since I saw Colin Farrell in The Banshees of Inisherin I thought it was his, and should go to him.

I could change my mind if I see Aftersun or Living - to be fair.

Brendan Fraser is good in The Whale. It's not really a good film and he didn't have much to work with in terms of the script but he managed to convey a lot of emotion and character when not speaking. I think he will probably win and would deserve to.
If he won I'd say it was fair, and deserved, and I'm tipping him.

Even though I knew it wasn't going to happen, I had a secret desire to see Fiennes get nominated for The Menu as well.
I would have liked to have seen that as well, and I also knew it wasn't going to happen. I think I put him on my MoFo nominees ballot.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)