Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Better than Sinister though!

I've lost count of how many times you've made me facepalm today, Derek.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Im sure its not going to be better... is any American remake better than the original foreign flick?
No, but I don't think American cinema can accurately re-create the emotion, atmosphere and intensity of foreign film, one might simply say it's lost in translation.

I've lost count of how many times you've made me facepalm today, Derek.
hahahahah it's alright Swanny boy!!! I like this kind of arguing

Two movies I've been meaning to watch for a very long time

Tampopo

I have to return some videotapes...

Tonight I'm going to be watching A Serious Man. I hope it's decent after all I've heard of it being one of the worst films of the past years to be nominated for Best Picture.

I saw Ip Man ages ago, probably earlier than I should've, I was around 11. With Ip Man 3 being released soon, (I'm actually going out of my way to see it in theaters) I wanted to go back and watch both of it's predecessors. I started with the first Ip Man tonight, and I pulled my dad aside to watch it with me. He's a huge fan so I know he'd want to experience the magic again. A good foreign movie (or any movie for that matter) should be understandable by any audience, no matter what language or country you're from. Ip Man is nothing short of perfect when it comes to how amazingly it handles it's story and concepts, juggling several different plots, all with one overarching character, and that character is fantastic in every way. Master Ip himself (played by the lovable Donnie Yen) is so grounded that you can't help but feel for him and his problems, all that coupled with a heartwarming performance makes the eventual struggle and violence all the more compelling. Don't even get me started on the action, which is absolutely stunning, and while defying of all physics is still entertaining in practically every way. The choreography is brilliantly executed and breathtaking, never giving you a moment to breath until the fight itself is over. I'd go so far as to say that Ip Man is the foreign version of Rocky, and honestly, it's better than Rocky might ever be. It tugs at your heart strings, captivates you with it's violence, and tells a story that you can't help but be entranced by. I'm looking forward to watching it's sequels, definitely check this out when you have the time.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
That is. There's a cult around here that thinks Mann's lousiest movies are his best.
Mann's certainly changed a lot in style through the years, though much of his core ideas and structure is the same. Manhunter must surely be Mann canon at least. As for the others, I think Mann is becoming more and more abstract in his narrative (which you'd probably call, as I think you've said about Malick but correct me if I'm wrong, losing his ability to tell a story) and the aesthetic choices he's developed are in good synergy with this.

Mann's certainly changed a lot in style through the years, though much of his core ideas and structure is the same. Manhunter must surely be Mann canon at least. As for the others, I think Mann is becoming more and more abstract in his narrative (which you'd probably call, as I think you've said about Malick but correct me if I'm wrong, losing his ability to tell a story) and the aesthetic choices he's developed are in good synergy with this.
You think Malick is losing his ability to tell a story? I would disagree, I think he's losing the ability to tell a good story with the same formula he has been using since Tree of Life. Still think he is very capable of writing something good, he just needs to add more actual conversations in his films.

That is. There's a cult around here that thinks Mann's lousiest movies are his best.
Just wondering how you like Blackhat more than Heat?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Two movies I've been meaning to watch for a very long time

Tampopo
Two masterpieces!

Just wondering how you like Blackhat more than Heat?
actually Heat is one of the most weakest Mann's movie

The Insider
and Collateral are way better even Public Ennemies is better in my opinion.

You think Malick is losing his ability to tell a story? I would disagree, I think he's losing the ability to tell a good story with the same formula he has been using since Tree of Life. Still think he is very capable of writing something good, he just needs to add more actual conversations in his films.
Malick is overrated in every definition of the word. One of the most pretentious and boring director of all-time.