Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Thunderdome is the Return of the Jedi of the series. Has its moments but ultimately too silly for me. I don't hate it but I don't love it either.
I had felt that way about it in the past and didn't watch it for at least a decade so I decided to go back and watch it again and do my best to scrub my mind of my previous impressions and "watch it for the first time", if you will, the best I could. And I found I really liked it. I had previously hated all the stuff with the kids and now I really liked it. Like as much as the Bartertown parts.
But also, Bartertown serves as exactly what we're talking about. MM was the society-is-falling-apart movie and then tRW is the survival-in-the-aftermath movie, and I'll accept that FR is the society-has-reformed-with-complexity movie, but I strongly feel that BT, with Bartertown, shows society forming from waste of tRW but not all the way to FR. Which is my point.
But I also think the hate for Thunderdome is misplaced.

Bacurau, 2019

A truck winds its way down a rural road. The driver and passenger are startled and disturbed to come across a horrible accident in which a motorcyclist has been killed and a truck has spilled coffins all over the road. Accompanying the man and woman in the truck, we are introduced to Bacurau, a small town in rural Brazil. The town's matriarch has just passed away, the town is constantly abuzz with rumors about various political "outlaws", and one day the citizens notice that their town no longer shows up on Google Maps or any other GPS device. As strange events begin to stack up, the townspeople must work together to understand the threat to their town.

This is one of those films that is hard to discuss in a review because there is a major plot turn (I'm not saying "twist", just an important, significant reveal) about one-third or halfway through the film. And I absolutely would not want to give away details for anyone who has not yet seen the film.

So staying as vague as possible, I will just say that I slightly preferred the film when things were more mysterious, and I enjoyed it a little less once it explained certain things. There is a degree of cliche to the place where the plot goes, and I felt as if there were more potential to the set-up than what the film ultimately delivered.

That said, while it would be easy to focus on the big "swings" that the film takes, what I appreciated the most about it were the little moments in which it explored its themes. In one sequence, certain characters tell fair-skinned Brazilians that they "aren't white". Defensively, the Brazilians argue that they are different from the townspeople. It's a really nice moment (in a conversation that, overall, is not very subtle) pointing to the way that even within subgroups, people will create hierarchies.

The style of the film is very bold. Scenes transition with stark horizontal or vertical wipes. And this sort of fits with the overall vibe of the film. This is a very direct (if also allegorical) critique of colonialism, abuse of power, and controlling governments. There is nothing subtle about a sequence in which the mayor parades into town with a large truck bearing his image, tells the people he cares about them, and has a load of old books literally brought in by dump truck and unceremoniously plopped down in the dirt outside of the schoolhouse. Nor is there anything subtle when the mayor takes a local woman with him for sex, despite her not wanting to go with him. Adding insult to injury, the woman is forced to walk back to her town after he is done with her. And where the film goes in its second half is far less subtle than anything I have just described.

I read a critique in another review that the film did not have a main character. I sort of agree, though I'm not sure if that is a problem. The town functions almost like an ecosystem, and to me it seems that the town itself is the main character. Each character has their place, such as the local man who serves as a sort of radio station, broadcasting music and commentary from a loudspeaker in his truck, including notes like "Juan, pick up your phone. Rosa is calling you and she knows you're just down the road." A standout is a character named Domingas (Sonia Braga), the town doctor and a woman we first meet on a drunken rant at the matriarch's funeral.

This film was different than what I expected. I'm still mulling it over, and especially how well I think it worked toward its resolution. But as of now my impression is favorable and I would certainly recommend it.

Well, I disagree with that but everyone's entitled to their opinion.
I don't hate it or anything.

But it's the Robocop 3 of the franchise.

Thunderdome is fine! Comparing it to Return of the Jedi is probably fair. And Return of the Jedi is fine too. It has some series best moments inside Thunderdome (Jabba's Palace), but we also have to endure Burning Man Infants by a waterfall (Ewoks). But, in the end, we're still way ahead.

Thunderdome is fine! Comparing it to Return of the Jedi is probably fair. And Return of the Jedi is fine too. It has some series best moments inside Thunderdome (Jabba's Palace), but we also have to endure Burning Man Infants by a waterfall (Ewoks). But, in the end, we're still way ahead.
The first half of The Return of the Jedi is excellent. The second half on Endor is definitely worse, but there's nothing terribly wrong there either except the smelly furballs Ewoks. As a whole, it was better than I remembered (I'm rewatching all SWs, done 1-7 now).

The first half of The Return of the Jedi is excellent. The second half on Endor is definitely worse, but there's nothing terribly wrong there either except the smelly furballs Ewoks. As a whole, it was better than I remembered (I'm rewatching all SWs, done 1-7 now).

I don't hate Ewoks as much as most. I definitely like them more then the Rainbow Children in Thunderdome. But they don't lend themselves to great iconic filmmaking, that's for sure

Death on the Nile - This took longer to get going than Evil Under the Sun and some of the performances were a bit labored but once it did get going it went. This also had a much larger all star cast. Peter Ustinov again plays Belgian detective Hercule Poirot and this time it's a case he happens upon while on vacation in Egypt. It takes place for the most part on a paddle steamer traversing the Nile. The actual death on the Nile doesn't occur until well over an hour into the movie. It's preceded by the usual backstories and since there are so many future likely suspects it takes quite awhile. Mia Farrow takes on the main role of Jacqueline De Bellefort, who is engaged to Simon Doyle (Simon MacCorkindale). That is until he meets and falls for her rich friend Linette Ridgeway (Lois Chiles). They end up getting married and honeymooning in Egypt with a jealously obsessed Jackie shadowing their every move. The rest of the players are a who's who of acting talent including Bette Davis, Olivia Hussey, George Kennedy, Angela Lansbury, David Niven, Maggie Smith and Jack Warden. Suffice it to say that rich American heiress Ridgeway is not a well liked person which leads unsurprisingly to her being killed by an unknown assailant. The plot does take off from there and the players are put through their paces in an entertaining manner.

WARNING: spoilers below
Even though the first murder takes an uncommonly long time to occur, once it does the bodies start piling up like firewood with the final count being five corpses being carried off the boat at the end.
80/100

I think that Max is always humanized, but just aloof. For example, giving the child the music box. And I appreciated the honesty behind the fact that him helping the group was largely about revenge for the actions of the violent gang.
Max giving the feral child the box was nice, but it's just not quite enough for me, and it's kind of cancelled out by him storming out on the settlers once he's gotten his gas (even when the child himself tries to get him to stop). We needed at least one more moment like the music box scene, albeit a bigger one, where we're shown that Max has "learned to live again" (like the opening narration says), in order to tie his arc off in that film satisfactorily, IMO.
I only wish FR were slightly less polished and processed to capture the roughness and grittiness of RW. It would then be perfection (it's already pretty darn close and my admiration grows with every viewing).
Yeah; despite its status as the weakest MM film, I liked the world-building in Thunderdome the best, since it's the most advanced of the original trilogy, showing a more complex, well-developed society with its own infrastructure, laws, and pecking orders, as civilization continues to recover from its post-apocalyptic Road Warrior nadir, with an insistence on elaborate, entirely practical sets, completely free of CGI (of whatever the mid-80's equivalent would've been; rear projection, I guess? I dunno).

While perhaps not in the specific ways you mention here, I feel like a lot of that ground was covered in Thunderdome, and Thunderdome expanding significantly on The Road Warrior, making Fury Road, as I said, just the next one.
Eh, I think both Thunderdome & Fury Road are more or less tied when it comes to their world-building, as I found their portrayal of societies learning to exist in a post-apocalyptic world pretty fascinating. But, to bring this back to Max's arc, if we're comparing the two films in that regard, then Fury Road is easily the winner for me; I mean, if you look back at him throughout the series, Max goes very naturally from being a loving father and husband to anti-social survivalist loner through a series of tragic events in the first film, then in the next film, he (sort of) rediscovers his humanity by helping out some other people (even though he didn't have much of a choice in the matter), so by the time Thunderdome came around, his character couldn't do much more developing, as his redemption arc in the original trilogy was already pretty much finished by the end of the 2nd film, which is part of the reason why Thunderdome is the weakest MM, and just "the next one" in the series as far as I'm concerned. Compared to that, Fury Road proved to be the missing link, and the one that filled in Max's blanks from the previous films, both by resetting Max back to being similar to the way he was at the beginning of Warrior, while also showcasing his redemption as a human better than either that entry or Thunderdome managed to do, IMO.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

What Have I Done to Deserve This? (Pedro Almodóvar, 1984)
6/10
After We Collided (Roger Kumble, 2020)
+ 4.5/10
Blindman (Ferdinando Baldi, 1971)
6/10
Dark of the Sun (Jack Cardiff, 1968)
7/10

African hero Jim Brown pauses for a break with mercenary Rod Taylor in between non-stop action and violence.
The Dumb Girl of Portici (Phillips Smalley & Lois Weber, 1916)
5.5/10
Ham on Rye (Tyler Taormina, 2019)
5/10
Dark Habits (Pedro Almodóvar, 1983)
+ 6/10
The Honey Pot (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1967)
+ 6.5/10

"Bouncy" nurse Maggie Smith catches the attention of wealthy Rex Harrison who ends up sorta proud of her.
Lies I Told My Little Sister (William J. Striblint, 2014)
6/10
Trader Horn (Reza S. Badiyi, 1973)
5/10
Bulldog Drummond's Bride (James Hogan, 1939)
5.5/10
36 Hours (George Seaton, 1964)
7/10

During WWII, German doctor Rod Taylor conducts an elaborate ruse ro get info about the D-Day landing from American officer James Garner.
Le signe du lion AKA The Sign of Leo (Éric Rohmer, 1962)
6/10
Redemption Day (Hicham Hajji, 2021)
5/10
Celia (Ann Turner, 1989)
6/10
Without Love (Harold S. Bucquet, 1945)
6.5/10

Amusing comedy with U.S. Government scientist Spencer Tracy working with his wife (Katharine Hepburn) on an oxygen mask for pilots.
Cub (Jonas Govaerts, 2014)
5.5/10
Toy Story That Time Forgot (Steve Purcell, 2014)
6.5/10
Hill of Freedom (Hong Sang-soo, 2014)
5/10
Synchronic (Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead, 2019)
6/10

New Orleans paramedics' (Jamie Dornan and Anthony Mackie) harrowing lives get crazier when they come in contact with a time-travel-inducing drug.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Continuing the 2020 catch up:

Soul (Pete Docter, 2020)
Well... its another formulaic Pixar film. It's got some nice touches here and there but its paced way too fast and is so bogged down with exposition and explaining the rules of the universe that the handful of scenes that are genuinely nice on their own feel really inorganic in the context of the film.

The Metamorphosis of Birds (Catarina Vasconcelos, 2020)
Just an absolutely gorgeous film, especially in regards to framing and colour palette and the 4:3 aspect ratio adds a lot to the extremely personal narrative on display through the dreamy, poetic narration. So textured, spacious and tranquil this was truly a joy to watch.

Rewatches continue.

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)

A splendid start for the adventure. It's perhaps a tiny bit (too) campy, and the final battle against the Deathstar is a tad too long, but it's an easy film to enjoy even on an umpteenth rewatch.

--
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Most of the issues in the previous film are gone. It's a more serious take on the galactic high adventure, and darker too. The Dagobah sequence is probably my least favorite part of this film but, as a whole, it's easily the best in the franchise.

--
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

The first half on Tatooine is pretty much on par with the previous film. Sadly the film takes a bit too silly turn after the arrival to Endor. Even that could have been acceptable without the bloody Ewoks. Despite them, it's still a pretty good film overall.

--
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

It really doesn't feel like Star Wars. It's not bad on its own but lacks the soul of its predecessors. Daisy Ridley is cute, though, but is way too flawless and without any weakness to be a relatable hero in a story like this.

--
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

I guess I'm in a better SW mood now than the first time, as I'm actually upping my rating by half for this travesty. It's pretty horrible and feels like a conscious middle finger to the fanbase. There were moments where it could have redeemed itself, but it failed. It ranks at the bottom of the series with the Episode II.

'Pitfall' (1962)

Genre spanning debut from Hiroshi Teshigahara (Woman of the Dunes). Part Ghost Story, part crime thriller, part mystery. It's a little rough around the edges but the plot is very clever and borders on the mindbending. Very dark / disturbing in places, with some imaginative images and eerie sound design - although not as good as Woman in the Dunes, it's a classy debut.

Yeah, I hope it comes across that I too think BT is "fine". Hate isn't the word. It's probably the one I've watched most often thanks to cable TV and my age when it was released.

My main beef is that it feels like a Hollywood production as opposed to the gonzo Australian vibe of the first two, right down to the power ballad playing over the closing credits. I have more to say but that's the short version I can contribute while at work.

'Pitfall' (1962)

Genre spanning debut from Hiroshi Teshigahara (Woman of the Dunes). Part Ghost Story, part crime thriller, part mystery. It's a little rough around the edges but the plot is very clever and borders on the mindbending. Very dark / disturbing in places, with some imaginative images and eerie sound design - although not as good as Woman in the Dunes, it's a classy debut.

Oo, I love this movie. My copy is damaged and the last minute doesn't play though

Yeah, I hope it comes across that I too think BT is "fine". Hate isn't the word. It's probably the one I've watched most often thanks to cable TV and my age when it was released.

My main beef is that it feels like a Hollywood production as opposed to the gonzo Australian vibe of the first two, right down to the power ballad playing over the closing credits. I have more to say but that's the short version I can contribute while at work.
That's part of the reason that I don't feel it is as good as the others either. But, at the same time, it's fun to see a scrappy little movie like it get treated like a world class block buster. Sort of like what happened with Rocky, but more post apocalyptic imagery. Still like it when it got slick, but it is definitely missing something elemental.

That's part of the reason that I don't feel it is as good as the others either. But, at the same time, it's fun to see a scrappy little movie like it get treated like a world class block buster. Sort of like what happened with Rocky, but more post apocalyptic imagery. Still like it when it got slick, but it is definitely missing something elemental.
Rocky's a good comparison that hasn't occurred to me till now. Yes.

The Vast of Night
You can be sure that director Andrew Patterson will be offered lots of work for much bigger money as the result of this first time feature. Will look forward to any future productions he helms.
Just saw this on Wikipedia: "He has since made an as-yet-untitled film, a revenge thriller set in the honeybee industry." I don't like revenge films, but it'll be interesting to see what he does with the style.

Oo, I love this movie. My copy is damaged and the last minute doesn't play though
Three words: The Harlem Globetrotters.

They just show up out of the blue.