Beale Reviews Big Fish

→ in
Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Big Fish

I recently watched Francis Ford Coppola's The Conversation, in which Gene Hackman tries desperately to decipher the meaning of a conversation he taped. Hackman finds out by the end that the importance lies not in what is said, but how it is said. Oddly enough, that is essentially the same theme which drives Big Fish.

Big Fish is the tale Edward Bloom's extraordinary life, or, more specifically, the tale of Edward Bloom's tale of his extraordinary life. As the movie opens, we see Bloom (played in his youth by Ewan McGregor and in his twilight by Albert Finney), telling the same story of how he caught an enormous catfish to his son, William Bloom (Billy Crudup) at different stages of his life. By the time of Bloom tells the tale at his son's wedding, the son makes it known he is fed up with his father's tendency to make up stories. The rest of the movie is basically the William trying to establish what actually happened during his father's life. This reconciliation takes the form of Bloom telling the fairy tale that is his life to his son. (I don’t wish to give out much more of the plot, for fear of taking the element of surprise out of this movie)

This movie lives on the knife's edge between tragedy and comedy, between reality and fantasy. The scenes between father and son are deeply moving, sometimes heartbreaking, other times strangely uplifting. Bloom's tales are so wonderfully outlandish that they could've only been cooked up in Tim Burton's mind. Here you can find humorously warped depictions of giants and witches, as well as things more traditional like small town life and true love.

This movie works on so many different levels. It is an engaging drama, a beautifully crafted (and often darkly funny) fairy tale, it is a heart-warming romance, a satire (on stories and stereotypes amongst other things).... in short, you can go to this film expecting almost anything and leave very happy. Burton gives some of the most inspired direction in his career, this movie is stunning to behold. I might go so far as to say magical. All of the actors give top-notch performances, especially McGregor and Finney. Every scene that is centered on Bloom is one for the history books, and I cannot give enough credit to the men who brought this wonderful character so perfectly to the big screen. Big Fish is, without a doubt, one of the best films to come out this year.

The Bottom Line: You need to see this sentimentally disturbed, beautifully crafted movie.

Great review Beale… ... I haven’t seen this yet, but definitely want to…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

If I ever had a change I would go and see it!I still don't think it is dark enough for a Tim Bortin movie but maybe it is the plot or something!When I first heard the title I thought it was a Dr Saus movie!
You know that one book that has something to do with fish?(Not that I read that anymore!)
Anyway still good review!(Pats back!)See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
Big Fish

I recently watched Francis Ford Coppola's The Conversation, in which Gene Hackman tries desperately to decipher the meaning of a conversation he taped. Hackman finds out by the end that the importance lies not in what is said, but how it is said. Oddly enough, that is essentially the same theme which drives Big Fish.

Big Fish is the tale Edward Bloom's extraordinary life, or, more specifically, the tale of Edward Bloom's tale of his extraordinary life. As the movie opens, we see Bloom (played in his youth by Ewan McGregor and in his twilight by Albert Finney), telling the same story of how he caught an enormous catfish to his son, William Bloom (Billy Crudup) at different stages of his life. By the time of Bloom tells the tale at his son's wedding, the son makes it known he is fed up with his father's tendency to make up stories. The rest of the movie is basically the William trying to establish what actually happened during his father's life. This reconciliation takes the form of Bloom telling the fairy tale that is his life to his son. (I don’t wish to give out much more of the plot, for fear of taking the element of surprise out of this movie)

This movie lives on the knife's edge between tragedy and comedy, between reality and fantasy. The scenes between father and son are deeply moving, sometimes heartbreaking, other times strangely uplifting. Bloom's tales are so wonderfully outlandish that they could've only been cooked up in Tim Burton's mind. Here you can find humorously warped depictions of giants and witches, as well as things more traditional like small town life and true love.

This movie works on so many different levels. It is an engaging drama, a beautifully crafted (and often darkly funny) fairy tale, it is a heart-warming romance, a satire (on stories and stereotypes amongst other things).... in short, you can go to this film expecting almost anything and leave very happy. Burton gives some of the most inspired direction in his career, this movie is stunning to behold. I might go so far as to say magical. All of the actors give top-notch performances, especially McGregor and Finney. Every scene that is centered on Bloom is one for the history books, and I cannot give enough credit to the men who brought this wonderful character so perfectly to the big screen. Big Fish is, without a doubt, one of the best films to come out this year.

The Bottom Line: You need to see this sentimentally disturbed, beautifully crafted movie.
Brilliant review Beale, youve more or less said everything i want to hear, now lets hope youve said everything i agree with too! Cannot wait to see this film, think its out over here this month. I'll let you know what i thought

Hey! It's great that you wrote a review for this bad boy Beale. I enjoyed reading it. Now all I need to do is go see it.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

It was beauty killed the beast.
Bloom's tales are so wonderfully outlandish that they could've only been cooked up in Tim Burton's mind.
But they weren't. They were cooked up from the mind of the novel's author, Daniel Wallace, and that is if you use the term "cooked up" in a rather free manner. Really, they are just variations on well treaded tales from the biblical flood to Brigadoon to "the one that got away".

Everyone probably knows by know that Kong thought this film was just your regular old mediocre heart-warmer so he'll just shut-up.

Originally Posted by Kong
But they weren't. They were cooked up from the mind of the novel's author, Daniel Wallace, and that is if you use the term "cooked up" in a rather free manner. Really, they are just variations on well treaded tales from the biblical flood to Brigadoon to "the one that got away".

Everyone probably knows by know that Kong thought this film was just your regular old mediocre heart-warmer so he'll just shut-up.
Very right. I was somwhat misleading in that...and I did use the term "cooked up" very liberally. Alas....

That film was so amazing. I keep thinking about it all the time. It is just one of those movies that does that.

Linkin Park Forums

Affordable and Reliable Web Designs and Hosting

Portfolio!!
www.MeteoraStudios.com
www.DigitalEinstein.com
www.LinkinParkForums.com

I went to see Big Fish today and liked it quite a bit. I don't see it as being the best film of the year like some critic's make it out to be, but it was very good nonetheless.

I kind of expected it to be more fantastical than it was, with brighter and more flamboyant colors, like Edward Scissorhands. Yet it seemed just right without it. I found myself laughing out loud a few times (scratching ear) and moved close to tears at others (The last and final story). I could tell that Burton really put his soul into it, and would take one movie like this instead of a thousand Planet of the Apes any day.

I’d give it 4 out of 5 buckets of popcorn.

You really got me interested..Is it a movie or DVD worthwhile film?

Originally Posted by CrazyforMovies

It's not chocked full of effects like The Matrix, so DVD will work, but the silver screen is still always better.

Originally Posted by CrazyforMovies
I would definately see it in theaters.

And, to Slay, I was moved to tears twice. But I think I cry for different reasons than everyone else... ...I'm odd.

I'd say...4th best film of the year (after LotR, Kill Bill, and Master and Commander...I haven't seen Lost in Translation yet. )

Do you know my poetry?
I liked this movie, I really enjoyed it, but I do think this film is overrated. I don't think I would add it to my top ten list for 2003, I don't think it was that great to be on my list. By the way, good review Beale.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
I liked this movie, I really enjoyed it, but I do think this film is overrated. I don't think I would add it to my top ten list for 2003, I don't think it was that great to be on my list. By the way, good review Beale.
Thanks man. What would your top ten be made of?

Do you know my poetry?
Thanks man. What would your top ten be made of?
Well I have a list right now, but I don't wanna make the final list till I see some more movies. Kill Bill Volume 1, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and Matchstick Men are my favorite movies from 2003 so far. I'm seeing Lost in Translation this week, so I might change my list.

Very cool.

I take back what I said about it not being a Tim Burton movie it is. Even through it is more strange then dark.Now that one movie "The nightmare before Christmas"is darker then this movie.
But if you had not seen it yet see it I saw it with my dad and it is so good!You will be surpraise how much you like it!
See you around and your review did not skip anything out so I thank you for that!JM

Originally Posted by Jackie Malfoy
I take back what I said about it not being a Tim Burton movie it is. Even through it is more strange then dark.Now that one movie "The nightmare before Christmas"is darker then this movie.
But if you had not seen it yet see it I saw it with my dad and it is so good!You will be surpraise how much you like it!
See you around and your review did not skip anything out so I thank you for that!JM
Lemme alter what I said slightly. Big Fish, at least in my mind, is the best film Tim Burton has ever directed. The Nightmare Before Christmas is by far the best movie he's ever been involved in (he didn't direct it...he did the story though. )

This is movie was great! It is fantastic and whimsical, with a touching father-son relationship. It is the only movie I have ever been smiling and choke up at the same time, and I'm a guy!