Mission Impossible 3, and why its a good movie

Tools    

MI3 rocked! How? Why? Lets be realistic here. When you go to see a movie where hyper Cruise is adrenalized then it better not be a slow watch. MI3 is what it said it would be. Though so ridiculously over the top, contrived, and unrealistic it wasnt boring.

We all have our opinions on what makes a film good or bad. We all have watched the foreign black and whites with pride we "got it", but are we so wise? To say MI3 was a bad movie discredits your opinion to those that hear it then go see it, and after theyre blown away by the effects your opinions less valuable. If the movie is what it advertises itself to be shows if its good or bad. An Earnest or Paulie Shore movie rich in dialogue and story depth would be awful. So MI3 was a good movie, but if you say movies like that are crap youre right too.

Morale - Dont take life too seriously for the surprises it brings could be puposfully overlooked.

Welcome to the human race...
What if we listen to you say it's good, go see it, and it sucks?

I have no plans to see it anyway.

What if we listen to you say it's good, go see it, and it sucks?

I have no plans to see it anyway.
Mission: Impossible III was awesome. You need to see it if you haven't.

This thread will self destruct in 5 seconds...

*POOF*

MI3 was alright but it wasen't as good as the first one. The 2nd one sucked though.

MI3 is one of the best action movies I have seen.
Why? Film editing and score editing, mostly.
Also, Tom really did some acting in this. That is rare. I have to give that to the director. With the right director you can get a good performance out of Tom Cruise. I don’t know, maybe you need to poke him with a stick or something, but it can be done.
Excellent movie. Surprised the Hell out of me because I think the other MI movies are boring and Tom is generally a bore as well. That said, MI3 rocks. Good stuff.

Registered Creature
I hated it.

You ready? You look ready.
I've seen all three of the MI films. Of the three, the third one was the only one I had to run out and buy after I saw it. It was fantastic. Great action film you can watch over and over again. I was completely floored by just how good it was because I was expecting a stinker like the first two. Nope, MI 3 is very good.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Also, Tom really did some acting in this. That is rare. I have to give that to the director. With the right director you can get a good performance out of Tom Cruise. I don’t know, maybe you need to poke him with a stick or something, but it can be done.
I disagree with the two sentences I've bolded (or is it, emboldened? Anyway...) I don't think that it's rare to get a good performance out of Tom Cruise. In fact I think that, until recently, he's been a criminally overlooked actor and should have at least one Oscar (he should've won for both Rainman and Born On The 4th Of July. I'm told he's great in Magnolia too, but I haven't seen that.)

I haven't seen MI:3 either, so I don't know if he acts in it or not. However, what I do think is rare is acting (or a decent script) in an action film. This isn't a snob thing, action films aren't about characters and dialogue, that's why it's usually so poor in both departments. Action films are, unsurprisingly, about action. Fireworks, stunts and, in the last 10-15 years, CGI effects.

We all have our opinions on what makes a film good or bad. .
Whilst I agree with you on this, surely there is a academic standard though isn't there? Whether we like a film or not is, mostly, down to taste but if we like a bad film we still know it's bad don't we? We can argue its merits and we can argue that its merits make it a better film than some/many/any/ people think, but 9/10 times, it's still a bad film.

I don't have much time for action films, but I don't think that most of the action films I like are any better than the ones I don't. It's just that, for some reason, it appealled to me. I love Commando, but I don't think it's a good film.