Set My Heart to Five (film adaptation)

Tools    

https://deadline.com/2020/03/working...ng-1202896929/

"Working Title Films, Focus Features, and Compete Fiction Pictures have teamed on the film rights to develop Simon Stephenson’s debut novel Set My Heart to Five, with Baby Driver helmer Edgar Wright attached to direct. The book is slated for release later this year via HarperCollins imprints Hanover Square Press (U.S.) and 4th Estate (UK).

Stephenson will adapt the screenplay from his own manuscript. The story is said to take place in an all-too human 2054 and introduces Jared, an android who undergoes an emotional awakening and embarks on a quest to convince humans that he and his kind should be permitted to feel. It’s a quest, sparked in part by Jared’s introduction to 80’s and 90’s movies, that leads to an unforgettable adventure across the West Coast of America, after he determines to write a film script that will change the world."

Goodreads Synopsis:

Jared works as a dentist in small-town Michigan. His life is totally normal, except for one thing. He is a bot engineered with human DNA to look and act like a real person.

One day at a screening of a classic movie, Jared feels a strange sensation around his eyes. Everyone knows that bots can’t feel emotions, but as the theater lights come on, Jared is almost certain he’s crying. Confused, he decides to watch more old movies to figure out what’s happening. The process leads to an emotional awakening that upends his existence. Jared, it turns out, can feel.

Overcome with a full range of emotions, and facing an imminent reset, Jared heads west, determined to forge real connections. He yearns to find his mother, the programmer who created him. He dreams of writing a screenplay that will change the world. Along the way, he might even fall in love. But a bot with feelings is a dangerous proposition, and Jared’s new life could come to an end before it truly begins.

Welcome to the human race...
Sounds like it's pitched halfway between A.I. and Ready Player One, which is definitely enough to give me pause, but screw it, I'll turn out for anything Wright does.