Sports Film Tournament

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Slap Shot 1977 First time viewing

Cool nom Edarsenal, that was a fun watch!
Love the full of curse words script and Paul Newman's performance of course.

THANKS John, the first time I saw Slap Shot was on Network TV, heavily censored and I was around 6 or 7 and loved it since. Would have been curious to see how it would have done against some else's nom. So, thanks @mark f for the love!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Round 1, Set 1

The Hustler (1961) vs Slap Shot (1977)
I've seen The Hustler (1961), but have not seen Slap Shot (1977).

The Blind Side (2009) vs I, Tonya (2017)
I've seen The Blind Side (2009), but have not seen I, Tonya (2017).

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) vs Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962)
I don't like Ben Stiller, and I like almost all the actors in Requiem, so I can't believe I'm voting for Dodgeball, but I just enjoyed it more than Requiem.

Rocky IV (1985) vs The Champ (1979)
I've seen The Champ (1979), but have not seen Rocky IV (1985).

Warrior (2011) vs Foxcatcher (2014)
This was an easy choice for me. I thought Warrior was great, but I didn't like Foxcatcher.

The Harder They Fall (1956) vs Sugar (2008)
I've seen The Harder They Fall (1956), but have not seen Sugar (2008).

Raging Bull (1980) vs The Hurricane (1999)
I've seen The Hurricane (1999), but have not seen Raging Bull (1980).

Goon (2011) vs Jerry Maguire (1996)
Both movies are pretty good movies, but Goon was just a bit too bloody and violent for my taste.

I got lucky and I found the Slap Shot (1977) and Raging Bull (1980) DVDs in a dollar bin at a flea market this weekend, so I'll be watching those two movies next.

Round 1, Set 1

(Newman vs. Newman. Slap Shot might be the best hockey film I've seen, but that's still not saying much. The Hustler is one of the best films ever made.)

(I'm still shocked that The Blind Side received a BP nomination and Best Actress Oscar. I found it very generic and mediocre. Didn't quite love I, Tonya as a whole, but did love a lot of the individual aspects, such as the performances, soundtrack and dark humor.)

(Never found Dodgeball all that funny. Requiem for a Heavyweight is Top-50 material for me. Great movie. Excellent script by Rod Serling that's sort of like a boxing version of Aronofsky's The Wrestler. The opening POV shot features Muhammad Ali when he was still Cassius Clay.)

(I think The Champ was voted the saddest movie ever made. It didn't have much of an emotional impact on me and I think it's average in quality, but Rocky IV is just a glorified music video.)

(Found Foxcatcher too slow, too ponderous, too distant. And that prosthetic nose on Steve Carrell was also incredibly distracting. Warrior doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it's a well-acted, well-told story regardless.)

(The Harder They Fall is worth watching just to see Bogart's last performance, but it's also a very good movie in its own right that deals with the corruption in boxing. Unfortunately I haven't seen Sugar.)

(First round TKO.)

(Not a fan of Jerry Maguire, especially with how overquoted it became, but none of the jokes landed for me in Goon.)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I Tonya
The Hurricane

Only two I can vote in. At least The Hurric awayane got a vote. Tough that it goes up against the for sure winner right away.

@jiraffejustin, NOTE: The matches in GREEN are new votes, the matches in BLUE are previous votes, and the matches in RED are not done yet.

Round 1, Set 1

I'm not a big fan of The Hustler, but I just didn't like Slap Shot much. (Maybe you have to be a hockey fan to appreciate these hockey movies?)

I've seen The Blind Side (2009), but have not seen I, Tonya (2017).

I don't like Ben Stiller, and I like almost all the actors in Requiem, so I can't believe I'm voting for Dodgeball, but I just enjoyed it more than Requiem.

The Champ has been one of my favorite movies for many years, and Rocky IV was better than I expected, but just not good enough to get my vote.

This was an easy choice for me. I thought Warrior was great, but I didn't like Foxcatcher.

I've seen The Harder They Fall (1956), but have not seen Sugar (2008).

I expected to like Raging Bull a lot based on its reputation, but I found it kind of boring. On the other hand, I watched The Hurricane recently for one the the HoFs, and I really liked it.

Both movies are pretty good movies, but Goon was just a bit too bloody and violent for my taste.

Let the night air cool you off
Score update for any interested parties:

The Hustler - 8
Slap Shot - 1

The Blind Side - 1
I, Tonya - 5

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story - 1
Requiem for a Heavyweight - 3

Rocky IV - 1
The Champ - 4

Warrior - 6
Foxcatcher - 1

The Harder They Fall - 1
Sugar - 0

Raging Bull - 8
The Hurricane - 2

Goon - 2
Jerry Maguire - 5

Unregistered User
Round 1, Set 1

@jiraffejustin, NOTE: The matches in GREEN are new votes, the matches in BLUE are previous votes, and there are no more matches in RED because I'm finished with this set.

Round 1, Set 1

I'm not a big fan of The Hustler, but I just didn't like Slap Shot much. (Maybe you have to be a hockey fan to appreciate these hockey movies?)

These were both good movies, so it was a close match.

The Champ has been one of my favorite movies for many years, and Rocky IV was better than I expected, but just not good enough to get my vote.

I thought Sugar had a good chance to get my vote until about 3/4 into the movie when it took an unexpected turn and went downhill from there.

I expected to like Raging Bull a lot based on its reputation, but I found it kind of boring. On the other hand, I watched The Hurricane recently for one the the HoFs, and I really liked it.

Score update for any interested parties:

The Hustler - 8
Slap Shot - 1

The Blind Side - 1
I, Tonya - 7

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story - 1
Requiem for a Heavyweight - 3

Rocky IV - 1
The Champ - 4

Warrior - 7
Foxcatcher - 1

The Harder They Fall - 2
Sugar - 0

Raging Bull - 9
The Hurricane - 2

Goon - 2
Jerry Maguire - 6

Adjusted the count to include gbg's and samoan's recent votes just to see which films I may need to watch in the future.
DEFINITELY need to see The Champ, which is one I really should see anyway. As well as Raging Bull. Was never interested in I, Tonya and would rather skip that one, but if it gets down to the semis, I just may have to.

This set has gone on for a little longer than I anticipated, but I'll be closing it up and getting the next one going either today or tomorrow.

This set has gone on for a little longer than I anticipated, but I'll be closing it up and getting the next one going either today or tomorrow.
Looking forward to the next round, THANKS

The Hustler vs Slap Shot
Winner: The Hustler 8 - 1

This was a predictable victory for The Hustler, and a bit of bad luck on the draw for Slap Shot. Paul Newman showed up twice in the first match of the tournament, but he'll be taking off his skates and keeping his cue out for at least one more round.

The Blind Side vs I, Tonya
Winner: I, Tonya 7 - 1

I wasn't sure how this one would turn out, but I know, despite not having seen it, I was rooting for I, Tonya all the way. The Blind Side is one of my least favorite movies. The trailers and clips I've seen from I, Tonya make me want to seek it out. It looks like Margot Robbie probably gives a killer performance, but this film probably glorifies the villain of the tale more than it should. Poor Nancy Kerrigan can't catch a break, unless it comes from a cold, hard pipe.

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story vs Requiem for a Heavyweight
Winner: Requiem for a Heavyweight 3 - 1

Talk about a styles clash. Not a surprising result here. I don't figure the folks going out of their way to see Requiem are the types that are probably going to react that strongly to Dodgeball. Or, at least, not as strongly.

Rocky IV vs The Champ
Winner: The Champ 4 - 1

I know next to nothing about The Champ other than THE CHAMP IS HEEERREEE DUN DUNNA DUUUUNNNNN (like John Cena....)

Warrior vs Foxcatcher
Winner: Warrior 7 - 1

For some reason, I thought Foxcatcher was more positively received around these parts than Warrior. Turns out: I was wrong. Personally, I think Steve Carell looks suitably creepy to play DuPont, fake nose and all.

The Harder They Fall vs Sugar
Winner: The Harder They Fall 2 - 0

One has Humphrey Bogart, one doesn't. What did you expect to happen?

Raging Bull vs The Hurricane
Winner: Raging Bull 9 - 2

Speaking of "what did you expect to happen?", DeNiro KOs Denzel any day of the week, except for the day of the week where they actually have to fight or any day of the week from like the last 25(?) years.

Goon vs Jerry Maguire
Winner: Jerry Maguire 6 - 2

We don't like hockey films. If you are on the ice in this tournament, you better leave your stick and pucks at home.

Expect this set to go about a week, but just like last time, don't be surprised if it goes a little long

Round 1, Set 2

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) vs Angels in the Outfield (1951)

Damn Yankees (1958) vs Million Dollar Baby (2004)

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962) vs A League of Their Own (1992)

Journeyman (2017) vs Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson (2004)

The Foot Fist Way (2006) vs Moneyball (2011)

American Flyers (1985) vs Rush (2013)

Remember the Titans (2000) vs Caddyshack (1980)

Bang the Drum Slowly (1973) vs The Set-Up (1949)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Round 1, Set 2

To me they're mostly ties.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) vs Angels in the Outfield (1951)

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962) vs A League of Their Own (1992)

Journeyman (2017) vs Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson (2004)

No votes from me this set either I'm afraid

Round 1, Set 2

Have only seen Ricky Bobby and I didn't care for it.

Only seen Million Dollar Baby and it's pretty good.

Good match.

Not familiar with either.

Moneyball is good but haven't heard of the other.

Rush is good but haven't heard of the other.

Both great but it's still an easy vote for me.

Haven't seen either but would like to see both.

Round 1, Set 2

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) vs Angels in the Outfield (1951) - Haven't seen either.

Damn Yankees (1958) vs Million Dollar Baby (2004) - Only watched Million Dollar Baby

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962) vs A League of Their Own (1992) -Only saw League of Their Own

Journeyman (2017) vs Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson (2004) - Haven't seen either

American Flyers (1985) vs Rush (2013) - It's been so long since I've seen American Flyers but I watched it a lot on when it premiered on HBO because Alexandra Paul was kind of crush worthy for me during that stretch of the 80's but I have to go with Rush. Racing > Biking (usually)

Remember the Titans (2000) vs Caddyshack (1980) - No brainer

Bang the Drum Slowly (1973) vs The Set-Up (1949) - Haven't seen Set-Up