Stuck On You

→ in
Tools    

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by Steve
Stuck on You, to me, is about our shared humanity - it has a lot to say about the human impulse to mock and deride people that are different. That beautiful scene where Bo and May talk by the pool and Walt tries to make himself invisible is the Farrelly Brothers' artistry in a nutshell - all three characters have their own respective flaws, but they share the frame equally and we watch Bo and May fall in love before our eyes. These 'different' characters make up in human longing and sadness what they lack in physical appearance, and as we all know, the serious subjects are also the funniest. There's something very moving to me about the Farrellys' fierce insistence on taking their characters' emotions seriously, no matter how embarassing the situation, how absurd the payoff. And it's that refusal to compromise, coupled with the strength of the performances and the sardonic take on New England vs. Hollywood that makes it so outstanding.
Interesting take, but Kong still isn't sold. Where you see, "a lot to say about the human impulse to mock and deride people that are different," Kong sees a didactically repeated message similar those that are taught to kindergarteners.

Does a review always have to confirm your suspicions in order to be a good one?
Hey what is this, Cait is allowed to agree with Kong if she wants, just like you are allowed to disagree.

Actually no… out of courtesy for the writers, I try to compliment as many of the well written reviews in this forum as I can…. whether I completely agree with them or not. In this particular case I suspected this movie was not to my tastes and Kong’s review just reinforced that opinion… and I really don’t understand why you had a problem with that…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Caitlyn says nice things to people because she is a good and decent person who likes to help make people feel good about themselves. She also trusts Kong’s opinions concerning movies because they have shown each other that their opinions happen to be similar more often than not.

I'm curious what your motive is in making an assuming statement like that in the first place. This isn’t a continuation of the Lott thread is it? You don’t have to answer me because I know you don’t like war-mongers.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Hey can someone please tell me the name of the song in Stuck on You when Greg is singing in that broadway play Bonnie and Clyde...I heard it is Summertime, but who sings it if thats the name...I cant find it!

-Phil

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by Phil8616
Hey can someone please tell me the name of the song in Stuck on You when Greg is singing in that broadway play Bonnie and Clyde...I heard it is Summertime, but who sings it if thats the name...I cant find it!

-Phil
The song is "Summertime". It was written by George Gershwin for his opera "Porgy and Bess". It's enormously famous, and has been recorded by hundreds if not thousands of artists.

Here is a list of people who've recorded the song: http://members.lycos.nl/summertimeweb/Artists.html

Kong recommends the Louis Armstrong / Ella Fitzgerald recording.

Originally Posted by Kong
The song is "Summertime". It was written by George Gershwin for his opera "Porgy and Bess". It's enormously famous, and has been recorded by hundreds if not thousands of artists.

Here is a list of people who've recorded the song: http://members.lycos.nl/summertimeweb/Artists.html

Thanks a lot for your help I found many results most were with no vocals though. I was wondering if you could help me one more time or anyone else who might know...whats the closed version or voice that was played in the movie by?

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Caitlyn says nice things to people because she is a good and decent person who likes to help make people feel good about themselves. She also trusts Kong’s opinions concerning movies because they have shown each other that their opinions happen to be similar more often than not.
I don't see what this has to do with my question, for one, and secondly, I think Caitlyn does quite well at defending herself, so you ought to save your valiance for someone who needs it. She answered my question, was that not good enough for you?

I'm curious what your motive is in making an assuming statement like that in the first place. This isn’t a continuation of the Lott thread is it? You don’t have to answer me because I know you don’t like war-mongers.
Since Caitlyn's post contained nothing but a compliment to Kong and a breathy exhortation to the effect of "exactly what I'd suspected about this one" I made the outrageously farfetched assumption that the second statement had something to do with the first.

As for Trent Lott...I think that all the evidence against him in the past makes my position look slightly better in hindsight, after the initial media explosion. I don't hear many Republican senators bemoaning the loss of the great patriot Trent Lott at the hands of the evil liberal media. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

And you're right, I don't like war-mongers. I have a worse time with Clancyites than I do with liberals when I debate the goods and bads of the war on terror. Cheers.

I don't see what this has to do with my question, for one, and secondly, I think Caitlyn does quite well at defending herself, so you ought to save your valiance for someone who needs it. She answered my question, was that not good enough for you?
Yes, Caitlyn does very well at defending herself, better than I could ever do in her place, that wasn’t the issue. I was expecting your post to be a prelude for some more disrespectful and arrogant rhetoric slung towards her after her reply. You did it before, so was I so wrong in making an assumption that you were capable and willing to do it again? Caitlyn is my friend. I have no delusions of wooing her into my bed for defending her, or making her swoon. Valiance certainly wasn’t my motivation for posting a remark in her defense.

Since Caitlyn's post contained nothing but a compliment to Kong and a breathy exhortation to the effect of "exactly what I'd suspected about this one" I made the outrageously farfetched assumption that the second statement had something to do with the first.
Here is exactly what I mean. “…a breathy exhortation…” What prompted you into making a remark like this? It seems apparent that your implication is that she was just kissing Kong’s ass or that she is all a flutter with what he has to say. It’s more passive disrespect on your point that I find irritating.

As for Trent Lott...I think that all the evidence against him in the past makes my position look slightly better in hindsight, after the initial media explosion. I don't hear many Republican senators bemoaning the loss of the great patriot Trent Lott at the hands of the evil liberal media. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Your viewpoint on the matter has nothing to do with the negative rep points I gave you in that thread (which I later gave you positive points and an apology for my losing my temper). The reason I was angered was because of this remark, “How humanistic! You think more about racism than I do because you are aware of the suffering of Native Americans..how self-righteous of you to even make the idea of who is 'more aware' of racism an issue. In all honesty, I don't care what you think about racism, I don't care who 'knows' more about it, and if you want to measure dick size, we can do that in person and not online.” She does know more about racism, white-boy-from-the-suburbs, because she has had first hand experience of it. Her family has lived with it for generations. You slapped her in the face with that remark as far as I’m concerned, just like you did to me because of my predilection towards war movies. I like war movies not because of the war itself (gee, look at all the blood! Wheee…), but because I can appreciate the brotherhood bond that develops between men in combat. I can understand, from experience, valor. I’ve seen it! I’ve seen great bravery and sacrifice first hand and completely believe in the glorification of the men and women who put it all on the line to keep the people in their company alive. I can understand these things because I actually lived it. Then I have to put up with some guy like you, who’s still in high-school, smoking a joint, and having Mom wash his jeans, call me a flippin’ war-monger. You couldn’t have insulted me more if you spit in my face.

And you're right, I don't like war-mongers. I have a worse time with Clancyites than I do with liberals when I debate the goods and bads of the war on terror. Cheers.
You have no idea who to call war-monger. You throw the word around as if you’re so enlightened. But you can’t tell the difference between a grunt who’s following orders, a person who enjoys war movies, and a man like Saddam Hussein. Also, what’s point with your last sentence? So what if you find it more difficult to debate with someone who gets off on military technology compared to a tree-hugger? Are you calling me a Clancyite now? Because I have never desired to read any of his novels. I'm not a war-monger.

Cheers to you too.

Mitsuki~Kikistar
Originally Posted by catchafire14
Is there a soundtrack to this movie? I've checked everywhere and can't seem to find one. Does anyone know the names of any of the songs in this movie, especially the one sung by Greg Kinnear in the Bonnie and Clyde scene? Thanks.
Yes it is true that it is the famous song of Summertime from Porgy and Bess. However, it is a different version, interpretation, and tempo. The one you want to be looking for is by Billy Stewart. You can go to Barnes & Nobles (www.barnesandnoble.com) and then under the category of Music, type 25 All-time Greatest Summer Songs. It should be the 2000 compilation version. The last song should be the one by Billy Stewart and you can listen to the 28 second sample. If you want to DL it, you can just go to WinMx or something. Happy hunting! Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by MitsukiKikistar
Yes it is true that it is the famous song of Summertime from Porgy and Bess. However, it is a different version, interpretation, and tempo. The one you want to be looking for is by Billy Stewart. You can go to Barnes & Nobles (www.barnesandnoble.com) and then under the category of Music, type 25 All-time Greatest Summer Songs. It should be the 2000 compilation version. The last song should be the one by Billy Stewart and you can listen to the 28 second sample. If you want to DL it, you can just go to WinMx or something. Happy hunting! Hope this helps.
Ok, Folks.. here is one link from where I got the song...
ftp://soundtemp:[email protected]
Works fine! Oh yeah.. its almost the same.. Brrrrrrr... . chuck-a-chuck...
njoi...
- RuBic~CuBe

I ate all your bees.
I liked Stuck on you. Sure its not a fantastic movie but its a good night at the movies, gets a solid B- in my books.

Originally Posted by alpha
Does anyone know the name of the first song played by jukebox when greg went to see matt after operation, please!
Bread - baby I'm -a want you

does anyone can help me¿
i like so much the very first song that play in the movie, i would like to know the name and the performer
if anyone knows, please help me!!!
thanks!!

Thanks a lot for your help I found many results most were with no vocals though. I was wondering if you could help me one more time or anyone else who might know...whats the closed version or voice that was played in the movie by?
The song Summertime was sung by Billy Stewart. Now you can sleep!

Originally Posted by Kong

Hi,

The artist who did the rendition that Greg Kinnear panamined is Billy Stewart.

The singer is Billy Stewart.

Bug Planet Proximus
you can find the song on any of the numerous copies of the Endless Summer soundtracks. There are so many you can find them for $5 nowadays.

but to the point, Kongs review was right on the buzzer. I know this thread is old and i saw the movies months ago, but what is said in Kongs review is so freakin accurate that it flooded all the memories of my disgust for the movie right back. Every single part he criticized was picked straight from my brain and written in a readable state, and unfortunatley i presumed that every other person on the planet would have the same feelings for this awful awful film. Sadly i was wrong.
once again. awful film.
i dont understand why people are referring back to the farrely brothers direction, to me this movie was almost unrecognizable as a farrely movie. It was so sappy and crap that it seems the only people that liked the movie were people that hated the low brow-ness of the farrely brothers's older movies, and for some reason think this is an improvement??? ??

well thats my two cents. i know i am acting out harshly to a fairly old movie, but thats what a good review does to ya. Plus, the dvd has just come out and i want to make sure that the public is discouraged enough not to waste their money on purified monkey puss.

Not sure if this is old news by now, but the version of "Summertime" that was heard in the movie is sung by Billy Stewart; it can be found on an album titled "20th Century Masters: The Millenium Collection." Billy Stewart recorded this song several times, in different styles.

I thought Stuck On You was particularly unfunny. Very Disappointing.