The Dark Knight Rises

Tools    

Estimated box-office figures are that TDKR has come second in the list of midnight viewings on opening day, Harry Potter Hallows part 2 is the only film to have a higher box-office record on the midnight showings.

Other estimates are that TDKR made $77 million on opening day.
If these numbers are correct, TDKR is third on the highest opening day records with only Harry Potter Hallows part 2 ($91 million) and The Avengers ($80 million) above it and will have pushed Twilight New Moon into 4th.

With the $77 million being an estimate, it's possible that TDKR may have come in above The Avengers to take the second place though.

Official records will be released on monday.

It's still a very good film, but of the 5 Nolan films I've now seen this was the least interesting.

Obviously you haven't seen Inception then.

Snoozer.

Don't give the prick the satisfaction.
Estimated box-office figures are that TDKR has come second in the list of midnight viewings on opening day, Harry Potter Hallows part 2 is the only film to have a higher box-office record on the midnight showings.

Other estimates are that TDKR made $77 million on opening day.
If these numbers are correct, TDKR is third on the highest opening day records with only Harry Potter Hallows part 2 ($91 million) and The Avengers ($80 million) above it and will have pushed Twilight New Moon into 4th.

With the $77 million being an estimate, it's possible that TDKR may have come in above The Avengers to take the second place though.

Official records will be released on monday.
That is pretty impressive, however, I am not shocked, this movie was highly anticipated just like DH2 and Avengers (both which were great). I can't comment on New Moon, didn't bother watching it.

WARNING: "The Dark Knight Rises" spoilers below
Of course it's a valid criticism. "Movie time" is acceptable sometimes, but not when the plot is specifically about how little time they have. You can skip over lots of stuff, but if you establish that they have X number of hours to do something, they probably shouldn't start playing ping pong, ya' know?

And to be clear, the complaint isn't that he didn't HAVE time. It's that he wouldn't waste time doing it. And narratively speaking (and I sure hope we can still critique the narrative, at least), it seems strange to have him do it, but then not have it lead to the people of Gotham actually taking the city back. That's such a natural, perfect, obvious result, isn't it? Everything's been building towards it. Why pull that punch?
I don't know why he didn't follow through on that. Maybe they just couldn't work it into the film. But, we understand the "why" of the action even if it was just to inspire the police force.

These discussions would be a shade friendlier if we could just discuss our disappointments and not have to be told we're imagining them. I spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff, and these movies in particular. Maybe you think I'm wrong, but I'm capable of understanding my own expectations and reflecting on films I'm excited about.

I like the movie plenty, as I keep saying. It's entirely possible to think the film is very good, and still have some complaints. And they're not huge complaints. I don't think they ruin the film; I'm more interested in how odd and unnecessary they seem. And if your position is just to say this stuff doesn't matter, okay, but why keep saying it? Obviously it matters to me, and some others, and no amount of browbeating is going to change that.

And for the record, I think the 8-year absence is great. I only wish I hadn't heard about it beforehand. That's part of the playing with time and the scale that I mentioned before. I like the audacity of it.
I didn't mean the nit-picky thing at you directly (other than about the bat symbol). I mean it at the people who's criticisms are things like "how did Wayne get back into Gotham" and "I hated how Bane sounded". So, the following rant is not directed at you; it's directed at all the people who are actively looking for reasons to not like this film.

**THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILERS AND I'M NOT WRAPPING IT BECAUSE YOU NIT-PICKERS NEED TO READ IT!** (plus, if you're reading this thread without having watched the film then you are looking to be spoiled on purpose)

Every criticism of this film has been completely trivial. No one has actually talked about what the film is actually about. It is called The Dark Knight Rises. In the beginning of the film we see Bruce Wayne, billionaire recluse, beaten down and depressed...because there's no fight to be had. His entire life has had purpose up until this point; that of ridding Gotham of the evil that took his parents. But, with that evil abated, he no longer finds purpose in his life. And, he cannot finish his lifelong goal of dying for the city. Yes, he does indeed want to die for the cause. Alfred sees it and tells him he won't be a part of it.

It is when a threat too huge for the Police of Gotham appears that we see Wayne come out of his shell of hiding. Because he can fulfill that purpose and fight and die for the city becoming the martyr that he feels he needs to be.

He is confronted in his journey with Alfred's honesty, a man named John Blake with a background very similar to his own, and a woman in whom he sees a bit of himself; Selina Kyle.

Bane breaks him and throws him in a hole in the ground. It is symbolic of the hole of despair he has been in his whole life. And it is only when he fears for his own safety that he is able to climb from that hole in the ground and save the city. "Why do we fall, Bruce?"

Now, if any of you would like to argue that journey, that arc of the film, then so be it. But, there is no need to pick apart things like "how did he get back into the city?" Especially because we watched him get into a plane that was still flying in the previous film! We already know he has the means to do these things. It is the symbolic moments of his journey, the emotional growth of the character, that are important and need to appear on screen.

As I let this film sink in and as I absorb the journey of Bruce Wayne in this film, the more I think it surpasses the previous films.

sOne could draw out philosophical meaning out of anything, Twilight or a Uwe Boll film for that matter, it's all in how one sees it..

it's directed at all the people who are actively looking for reasons to not like this film.
& I don't think anyone has said they didn't like this film here, they just stated reasons why they felt this movie lacked to make it more special. Noone actively looks for reasons to not like a movie, people just said what they felt.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
I just felt the movie was all over the place at parts, maybe I'd enjoy it more on a second viewing but I think the other 2 movies were a lot better. As I said earlier I think they ruined bane towards the end and things went abit messy.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Obviously you haven't seen Inception then.

Snoozer.
*whistles*

I really liked Inception until the snow assault at the end, it was an action scene too far and I felt it would have been more interesting to go straight to Murphy and his father, and was actually quite a dull scene.

But that's just me (or us maybe )

I just felt the movie was all over the place at parts, maybe I'd enjoy it more on a second viewing but I think the other 2 movies were a lot better. As I said earlier I think they ruined bane towards the end and things went abit messy.
How did they ruin Bane, if I may ask?

(from your perspective)

How did they ruin Bane, if I may ask?

(from your perspective)

Spoilers.

They just took the focus completely off him. The start bane seemed a massive part of the movie then towards the End it shifted away from him. And after the first fight were he destroyed batman I was expecting something even
Better at the end but it ended up catwoman sorting him.

Spoilers.

They just took the focus completely off him. The start bane seemed a massive part of the movie then towards the End it shifted away from him. And after the first fight were he destroyed batman I was expecting something even
Better at the end but it ended up catwoman sorting him.
I can see where you have your concern, but I figured since Talia helped Bane, it was only fair that Catwoman assisted Batman. It's rather poetic in my opinion.

I can see where you have your concern, but I figured since Talia helped Bane, it was only fair that Catwoman assisted Batman. It's rather poetic in my opinion.
They should of had Catwoman take care of Talia and had Bane and Batman square of to finish it.

They should of had Catwoman take care of Talia and had Bane and Batman square of to finish it.
Not have Talia interfere in the fight between Batman and Bane, and somewhere else in the building have Catwoman and Talia go at it? I suppose to some audience that would of been interesting. However, I just feel like it would feel like an old spy movie, or a new one, rather. If you remember in movies like Agent: Cody Banks when they had two different fight scenes going on at the same time, and they kept trading off the cameras from one fight to another? I just don't think i'd enjoy that idea when it comes down to Batman. I think they did a great job with the script.

Not have Talia interfere in the fight between Batman and Bane, and somewhere else in the building have Catwoman and Talia go at it? I suppose to some audience that would of been interesting. However, I just feel like it would feel like an old spy movie, or a new one, rather. If you remember in movies like Agent: Cody Banks when they had two different fight scenes going on at the same time, and they kept trading off the cameras from one fight to another? I just don't think i'd enjoy that idea when it comes down to Batman. I think they did a great job with the script.
True. It was just a bummer that it ended that way.

sOne could draw out philosophical meaning out of anything, Twilight or a Uwe Boll film for that matter, it's all in how one sees it..
Except in The Dark Knight Rises it is deliberate. When the artists message actually comes across in tact then they've done their job. You can't say that about Twilight or Uwe Boll.

& I don't think anyone has said they didn't like this film here, they just stated reasons why they felt this movie lacked to make it more special. Noone actively looks for reasons to not like a movie, people just said what they felt.
You were the first one in this thread to say you were disappointed!

There's a few people who have said they found it "disappointing" and that it doesn't stand up to the other two. And a lot of the criticisms have been silly things like minor plot holes. No one has talked about the grand scope of the trilogy's story and how neatly this film wraps it up. I just pointed out why I think it stands up just fine.

WARNING: "Possible for any who hasn't seen it yet" spoilers below

I'd have to agree with what Critics said on this one. It would have been a really cheap cliche.

When the end was near... I thought "Oh God, they're doing the cliche thang of Bat v Bane, Cat v Talia"
Then they didn't do it.

I'm rather glad they didn't do it. It gives the movie a seperate flavour than just the regular typical Hollywood eye candy cr*p that gets churned out all the time.
Plus it makes Bane's demise more of a surprise.

WARNING: "Possible for any who hasn't seen it yet" spoilers below

I'd have to agree with what Critics said on this one. It would have been a really cheap cliche.

When the end was near... I thought "Oh God, they're doing the cliche thang of Bat v Bane, Cat v Talia"
Then they didn't do it.

I'm rather glad they didn't do it. It gives the movie a seperate flavour than just the regular typical Hollywood eye candy cr*p that gets churned out all the time.
Plus it makes Bane's demise more of a surprise.

Spoilers!!!

It was just weak tho with how menacing Bane was and how much of a beating he gave batman and then catwoman finishers him that easy and in that way. I was expecting Bane to get back up and there was nothing off him again.

Spoilers!!!

It was just weak tho with how menacing Bane was and how much of a beating he gave batman and then catwoman finishers him that easy and in that way. I was expecting Bane to get back up and there was nothing off him again.
If you were paying attention, Wayne spent around five months in that same cell training his body to adapt to stronger foes (i.e. Bane). When he returned to Gotham as Batman he also remembered Bane's tactics from the last encounter. This, along with his training gave him the edge. I'm sure if Talia did not interfere, Batman would of handled Bane rightfully so.

BATSPOILERS below..

Disappointed doesn't always mean one disliked the film... it means that it was a let down compared to the previous ones.

Well you do explain your points well.. & I did mention that I liked the ending of the film & how it wrapped up the saga.
But I just don't like the events that lead to that great ending, I still disagree with the 8 year absence. you say in 8 years there weren't any crimes.. But a certain Cat Burglar seemed to have made a career in Gotham in the past 8 years or so. Bane has been plotting as well..
Or is it that Bruce Wayne waits for crime to appear on news channel & newspapers to go looking for it.. some hispanic kids brother died, why? cos Bruce Wayne felt there was no crime to fight? & god knows how many innocent people died in those 8 years, which he could have avoided..
The idea of him becoming Batman was to help the weak & also there is this thing about his vengeance.. & it just doesn't end at vengeance for his parents death, but isn't this guy supposed to be obsessed with punishment?
The greatest themes of philosophy lies in Batman's vengeance & modus operandi of fighting crimes.

I do get your belief in the philosophy of the film, but if you're talking about personal journey & stuff like that, that could be found in countless other films, it's true no doubt Nolan did it best, but it's just cos of the ending that the personal journey seems to shape up well, but that is no excuse for the poorly written rest of the film.

& did I mention that this movie had some of the weakest dialogues I have seen this year.

& one more thing, now that BouncingBrick has mentioned the thing about Personal Journey in the film, I have just given it a thought while writing this post & I think I just started liking the movie a bit more, but in a different POV, the personal journey of a guy called John Blake.. & how he convinces his idol back into action & ends up taking his mantle in the end... hence the title appears pretty neatly in the end "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES".
If that's what Nolan intended, than I am begininng to appreciate the film more.. but still that doesn't make me forget that I am not happy with the treatment given to Bruce Wayne's character.

If you were paying attention, Wayne spent around five months in that same cell training his body to adapt to stronger foes (i.e. Bane). When he returned to Gotham as Batman he also remembered Bane's tactics from the last encounter. This, along with his training gave him the edge. I'm sure if Talia did not interfere, Batman would of handled Bane rightfully so.
Yep true but thats because batman messed his mask up which I just don't get at all. We see a flashback of bane sitting there with his face wrapped up in the prison and he didn't seem in that much pain as to when batman knocked his mask off? What was the mask actually doing for him or did I miss something because all anyway kept saying was pain.

Yep true but that because he messed his mask up which I just don't get at all. We see a flashback of bane sitting there with his face wrapped up in the prison and he didn't seem in that much pain as to when batman knocked his mask off? What was the mask actually doing for him or did I miss something because all anyway kept saying was pain.

WARNING: "Bane" spoilers below

The mask is an anesthetic dispenser. Without it, he's almost paralysed. Which is why when Batman knocked out the pipes, he barely moved.
The comics say that it's 'Venom' serum that makes him stronger.

In TDKR, it's anesthetic... which is also why he is so strong as he feels almost no pain at all with the mask.
Again, this is the Nolan realism that's been added to the story. Venom serum is a bit comicbook, anesthetic is a more realistic plot device.

If you notice in the scene where they capture Gordon, he has his top off and you see a scar down his spine from an injury he suffered at the hands of those prisoners when he helped Talia escape.