The Amazing Spider-Man

Tools    

For the love of God, Sony don't make Spidey "more gritty and realistic." Are Hollywood producers really so naive, and myopic that they reduce the success of films like The Dark Knight, to the violence and anarchistic rhetoric, instead of thinking that perhaps the success lies with a well written script, clear directorial vision, competent actors, and most importantly a passion for the subject matter?

...uh the post is up there...

I laughed when I read they were going to try and make the next Spidey "more gritty and dark"... this is Spider-Man not Batman. There is a difference, Spider-Man doesn't drive the batmobile and thankfully Batman isn't shooting webs out of his wrist.

I think it would be comical for Peter Parker to go gritty and dark, that isn't the tone for the comic books or the previously made films. I mean, he was a black Spider-Man in the last film... that should be as far as dark as Spider-Man should go.

My opinion anyways.

'Spider-Man 4' Cancelation And Reaction From Around The Web

With the surprising news racing around the web that "Spider-Man 4" has been canceled and that Sony plans on relaunching the franchise in 2012 with a new director, a new cast and a completely clean slate, many are still wondering about how the most successful film franchise in the history of the comic book genre came to such an abrupt end.

John Campea of Script-To-Screen runs down the issues that caused the cancelation of the franchise and talks to some of the leading voices in the online film community to get their reaction and thoughts on the news.

Source: AMC Entertainment

Semper Fooey
Reportedly, there are also plans to make Superman dark and gritty. Superman doesn't have the look or costume for dark and gritty.

I have a weird perspective on all of this, you see I was not impressed with Raimi's Spider-man movies. I can still remember walking out of the first film feeling disappointed. To me, he never got the basic conventions of the character correct, for instance the fact that in all three films that New Yorkers all seem to pretty much like Spidey. Also, I read Roger Ebert's review of the original, and was shocked to discover that he cited most of my complaints, one being that after the origin story, the film rushes through his first time actually being Spidey, but the last half seemed anticlimactic. Also, Dafoe did the best he could with a hopelessly goofy villain. The second was an improvement, largely thanks to Molina's Doc Ock, but the formulaic sequence of events borrowed from the original were noticeable, i.e.; M.J. being captured, and Peter re-learning his powers. All in all it never felt like Spider-man to me. That said, I don't think we'll see a Spidey movie in 2012, it's already 2010 and nothing has been announced about the project. If most will remember Warner Bros. worked on a Batman reboot from the mid nineties all the way to Begins, and Superman as well.

I dont know if anybody else has mentioned this but they are really thinking of taking Tobey out from Spidey and using Robert Pattison for Spidey. I really hope they don't do this!! I would freak! I hate spider man movies but no, Robert would fail at it.

Where'd you hear that? I don't think it'd happen in a million years. The Pattison thing, that is; Tobey's definitely gone, because they're rebooting the whole thing, as discussed in, well, the last page or so of this thread.

I think the Robert Pattinson thing started out as an April fool joke... not sure why it's still going though...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

News just in...

Sony has announced a deal with (500) Days of Summer director Marc Webb to helm the new Spider-Man movie.

Webb's forthcoming Spider-Man film will focus on Peter Parker's private life, says Entertainment Weekly. A previous report had Webb signing for a trilogy, but the studio mentioned only one picture in its official announcement.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...an-reboot.html

Where'd you hear that? I don't think it'd happen in a million years. The Pattison thing, that is; Tobey's definitely gone, because they're rebooting the whole thing, as discussed in, well, the last page or so of this thread.
It's all over the internet. It's a ridiculous rumor of course... so is the rumor Robert Pattinson As Morbius, Jake Gyllenhaal For Spidey, Larry David As Vulture, Michael Cera as Spider Man, Zac Efron to be playing Mysterio, John Malkovich as Vulture and so on...

News just in...
Sony has announced a deal with (500) Days of Summer director Marc Webb to helm the new Spider-Man movie.

Webb's forthcoming Spider-Man film will focus on Peter Parker's private life, says Entertainment Weekly. A previous report had Webb signing for a trilogy, but the studio mentioned only one picture in its official announcement.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...an-reboot.html
Gotta admit, I didn't see that one coming.

I would love to have seen Cameron's Spider-man, I've read the script online, and yes it would have been different than the comics, but so was Raimi's. He's always pushing the boundaries of visual effects, every movie he has made has surpassed the previous one, and he directed T2, one of very few action blockbusters that wasn't mindless.

Marc who? The 500 Days Of Summer guy? I'm curious, but not exactly pumped.

Semper Fooey
Sony wants to hold on to that franchise for dear life because if they don't keep pumping out movies, the rights revert back to Marvel, which now is Disney. A movie that emphasizes Spider Man's private life? Translation: Less special effects and cheaper to make. Sounds like they want to do Smallville with PP instead of CK.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

Spider-Man Reboot Officially In 3D!

Sony Pictures has just officially announced that the new Spider-Man reboot will be in 3D. While rumors have been spreading for the past month saying that this might be a possibility, we’ve not yet had actual confirmation of it happening.

With Sony setting a release date of July 12, 2012 for the new Marc Webb directed Spidey, they have the ability to freely choose whether to use 3D cameras (like Avatar) or to convert it in post-production (like Alice in Wonderland). Well, we now know it will be coming to theaters in 3D.

Here’s the press release:

CULVER CITY, Calif., February 10, 2010 – Spider-Man will swing into theaters worldwide in 3D beginning July 3, 2012, it was announced today by Jeff Blake, Chairman of Sony Pictures Worldwide Marketing & Distribution. The new film which is still untitled will begin production later this year directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay by James Vanderbilt. Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin will produce the film from Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios.

Commenting on the announcement, Blake said, “Spider-Man is the ultimate summer movie-going experience, and we’re thrilled the filmmakers are presenting the next installment in 3D. Spider-Man is one of the most popular characters in the world, and we know audiences are eager and excited to discover Marc’s fantastic vision for Peter Parker and the franchise.”
The now untitled Spider-Man reboot is set to hit theaters July 12, 2012.

Source: Screenrant

Semper Fooey
They don't have a director, a star, or a script, but they know it's going to be in 3D? Doesn't this contradict earlier reports they wanted to make Spiderman less of a spectacle? Do they know what they're doing? I wonder if they saw the huge box office returns of Avatar and now want to go in that direction. The Sony brass are looking like bumbling idiots. Disney is probably rubbing their hands with glee because it looks more like Sony will screw up the franchise. That's fine with Disney because as the new owners of the comic book property, they can make their own film.

I think Sony has absolutely no clue what to do. I was skeptical that a movie that has no director, no cast, and possibly some phantom script, could be released by 2012. I think Sony is pulling a lot of this out of their ass, trying to beat their chests at Marvel and Raimi.

It seems as though they are just jumping on current profitable trends; the teen melodrama of Twilight, and the spectacle of 3-D from Avatar. If this is suppose to rally some kind of confidence, it's not working. These are stereotypical actions of crass executives, who don't have an ounce of creative integrity. All Sony is managing to do is alienate, scare, and piss of the general fan base.

ugh why does everything have to be in 3D now?! i personally think it takes away from the movie, but thats just my opinion.

Seeing as though most of the high-profile villains have been tapped out by the previous series, and it is now time to differentiate this new one, I think they will have to introduce Lizard. One, because fans have been teased with the possibility since the original film. Two, He's a well-known villain, yet to be introduced. Three, it's a manageable character, both in development and visual effects.

I think if they're going to bother to do this, I should give some ideas of my own, because I know that Sony hangs on my every sentence. XD

I think Liz Allan should be his love interest in the first film, because it makes sense, they're both kind of nerdy/shy types. Watching the Raimi ones I always thought that Mary Jane and Peter are two people that couldn't share a toothbrush, much less be on the verge of marriage. Anyway, Liz Allan should unknowingly help Peter with his exploits as Spidey. Gwen being the girl He's crushing on, and M.J. at the periphery as a friend. This can be developed in later installments. Finally, we should see Peter in the lab, like he was in the comics.

Also, you could build up to the Lizard. I mean since this is supposed to take place in his first year of crime fighting, so we should have a sub-plot of Spidey dealing with a newly surfacing gang like the rocket skateboarders or something, except not as goofy, or a minor villain like Shocker or Electro.

I think the overall theme should be Peter reflecting on the results of his actions, is what he thinks he should do really the best, or is it just a feel good solution? Does he just do it for the thrill, glory, or to impress girls? These are introspective questions a teenager would ask.

Peter should also feel torn, having to fight his teacher, Dr. Connors, in order to save lives.

Finally, actually have New Yorkers be suspicious of Spidey, this is something Raimi never got right. To me, that's what adds depth to the character, the fact that you have this guilt weigh upon you, as well as being a Pariah.

Semper Fooey
Bring on Kraven, the Hunter, my favorite! He is not an out and out bad guy so he would work perfect as a supporting villain, while another baddie is the main menace, especially the Lizard.