Ultimate Avengers: The Movie (animated)

Tools    

"..I know the TRUTH.."
Has anyone down with comics gotten down with this animated feature? This is based on the Ultimates in the Marvel universe:

Ultimate Avengers: The Movie (animated)

"..I know the TRUTH and I don't have to be what you want me to be.." -Muhammed Ali

there's a frog in my snake oil
D'oh. Thought the ole UK series was getting a revamp for a minute...

It was alright, kind of a disappointment to me though. I was hoping it would follow the story from the first six issues more closely. The animation was very average, a bad thing since Bryan Hitch's artwork on the comics was so exceptional. The characters were all watered down and far less interesting than they were in the comics. If you want a good superhero cartoon, stick with "Justice League Unlimited".

"..I know the TRUTH.."
Originally Posted by Ford
It was alright, kind of a disappointment to me though. I was hoping it would follow the story from the first six issues more closely. The animation was very average, a bad thing since Bryan Hitch's artwork on the comics was so exceptional. The characters were all watered down and far less interesting than they were in the comics. If you want a good superhero cartoon, stick with "Justice League Unlimited".
Dag, thats too bad; I'll have to check it out just on principle. I've followed all of the JLU episodes, which were on point. The trailers I scoped at the Wizard convention led me to believe the Ultimates movie might be tight, but it sounds like it came out kid friendly.

It did. It's still PG-13 for some reason though. But they totally ignore Tony Stark's brain tumor, the Hulk eating people and a few other details that were important in the comics. They end up fighting the aliens from the later issues, but they don't Hawkeye or that cool shot of the Black Widow jumping from one skyscraper to another. I thought the whole point of Marvel putting out it's own movies was that they'd be more faithful to the comics than an outside company would be. Apparently, that isn't the case. It was just very average. Buy a used copy.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally Posted by Golgot
D'oh. Thought the ole UK series was getting a revamp for a minute...

Me too. A sequel to that Connery madness too.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Ford
It did. It's still PG-13 for some reason though. But they totally ignore Tony Stark's brain tumor, the Hulk eating people and a few other details that were important in the comics.
Tony's brain tumor was important, but The Hulk eating people was really just for shock value, so that you (the reader) would take the threat seriously. The Hulk wasn't being such a hero, but that's what people expect of him, so they had to show him doing horrible things. (I see they made him green, even though he was grey in that run...)

I haven't seen it. Did they portray Thor as the "hippie"-like, proactive world personality he is in the Ultimates? Did they show Captain America struggling to fit into a world that left him behind? Did they show Hank and Jan's relationship problems? Bruce Banner's insecurity? If none of that is there, then no thanks.

(On a semi-related note, they held a contest a couple years ago to find voice actors for this. You could send in entries for most of the main characters - Cap, Tony, Thor, Nick Fury, etc - and the winners actually got to voice the characters. So yeah, I was wondering how the voice acting turned out.)

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Tony's brain tumor was important, but The Hulk eating people was really just for shock value, so that you (the reader) would take the threat seriously. The Hulk wasn't being such a hero, but that's what people expect of him, so they had to show him doing horrible things. (I see they made him green, even though he was grey in that run...)

I haven't seen it. Did they portray Thor as the "hippie"-like, proactive world personality he is in the Ultimates? Did they show Captain America struggling to fit into a world that left him behind? Did they show Hank and Jan's relationship problems? Bruce Banner's insecurity? If none of that is there, then no thanks.

(On a semi-related note, they held a contest a couple years ago to find voice actors for this. You could send in entries for most of the main characters - Cap, Tony, Thor, Nick Fury, etc - and the winners actually got to voice the characters. So yeah, I was wondering how the voice acting turned out.)
They commented on the voice try outs on the www.ultimateavengers.com site, if I read correctly none of the people who auditioned actually got a shot at doing the voices. I think they had some good auditions, but none quite good enough.

www.panicattic.com - Check out the Q&A from Ethan Dettenmaier , director of Sin-Jin Smyth

A system of cells interlinked
The more I think about that wonderful comic series, the less I want to watch the film. All the points Sleezy pointed out were what made me like the story. In other words, the well done character arcs and the realistic characters were what elevated that series to something special for me. The Hank and Jan stuff was creepy....

"..I know the TRUTH.."
..you mean how Hank was layin' the pimp hand down on Jan? Yeah, bruh, thats some ish right there.

The Hulk was grey in the movie, just not on the cover. Banner actually has control over him too, instead of the Hulk just being pure rage. He fights off the aliens then fights the Ultimates after they show up to help him. Banner himself was whiny and unlikable. They didn't go into Hank being abusive, they just made him be a little bit of a jerk. Cap wonders why he's there, and he visits Bucky and his ex-girlfriend. But it's very brief. Thor first appears on a Greenpeace type ship and gets an oil tanker or something to change course. He comes off as more of a drunk than an environmentalist though. They could have at least let him keep the mustache. Iron Man just sort of...shows up. It's not even public knowledge that Tony Stark is Iron Man like it was in the comics. The Black Widow is just sort of there and is the only one that follows orders or knows what she's doing.

And the voice actors were just about as bland as you can get.

If you love the comics, skip the movie, it will only frustrate you.

Does anyone else think the comic is pretty much done now that Bryan Hitch is done with it?

In the Beginning...
I knew it. They would squander Tony Stark. He and Nick Fury are really the brainchilds of the Ultimates, and it's a shame they would change that.

But just think, there are kids out there watching it. And for them, this is becoming an instant classic. It's "edgy" and filled with action, adventure, and excitement. Years down the road, these kids will be college students, sitting around, playing Playstation 15, and talking about how "crizappy" Ultimate Avengers was back in the day.

EDIT: Holy crap, I surpassed 1,000 posts and didn't even notice. I knew I was getting close, but wow. I don't even know what the lucky 1,000th post was (nor do I have the energy to go searching for it).