Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I’m looking forward to this, stopping short of being excited. Haven’t seen the latest trailer, because I don’t want anything else spoiled.

Seeing the “mini-me’s” without knowing they were coming, would have been a great moment in theater.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I rarely watch trailers anymore because of spoilers, but I saw this one and fell in love with the mini pufts.

I already bought the Baskin Robbins Exclusive Funko Pop:

And I pre-ordered the Walmart Exclusive Funko Pop:

Finally got round to seeing this.

It's a little contrived in places, and some of the pacing in the first 30 minutes is askew...

But...

It's not every day I get impressed by a modern movie.
It's certainly not every day I get impressed by one of these modern reboots or remakes, or even sequels for that matter.

But what a wonderful, fun, nostalgic movie, that also brings something new to the table, but manages to stay recognisable... and yet, with all that, also manages to be something that is far, far, far beyond respectful to not only its source material, but also its original creator.

A reboot/sequel that actually did something not many have accomplished.

I'm actually in Ravenclaw
Gonna watch it tonight, really hyped about it

Welcome to the human race...
Already saw this two months ago but didn't think it was worth posting about at the time. Easily one of my least favourite films of 2021.

I loved it. Even teared up at the end.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I know a guy who's super into Ghostbusters and is absolutely that Internet guy a lot of you don't want to hear talk about the 2016 reboot (right or wrong), and he thought it was at least okay, so I'll definitely watch it soonish.

A system of cells interlinked
Holden's rec is enough for me!

Everything I know about Holden would indicate that he's joking, and yet somehow I still feel a sliver of doubt...

A system of cells interlinked
He may have teared up after he realized he just wasted 1.5 hours of his life - will keep that in mind as a distinct possibility...

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The theater stream glitched all throughout the last 10 minutes or so for me. It was all green and pixelated. No refund.

Enjoyed the movie just missed the ending while chasing management. Well. I caught most of it from the side hall. But was irritated. Thought it was overall a charming addition.

Well, that's surprising. If anything, the ways in which the film attempts to not only work around Ramis's absence but also fold it into the actual text of the film (especially during the climax) strike me as misguided at best and downright cynical at worst (which is par for the course with these kinds of reboots anyway, but what this film ultimately resorts to is hard to think of as evoking positive emotion).

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I can buy that. When I first saw Egon in the shadows during the opening scenes (caught in theater soon after it opened, so I'm sure my memory is off on parts), my instinct was to be offended. That lingered with me for a bit. I think it was after the family moved to the house and things started happening, that I started to warm up to the idea. I guess for me, the tug came in the contrast between how the mom remembered her father and how the uh.... spirit (?) was attempting to interact with the daughter. It was a similar feeling I had when Elliot discovered E.T., maybe. Though I don't particularly care for E.T., there are emotional beats that generally work with me. Anyway, that contrast provided a doorway for the mom to reevaluate her experience from her father's perspective. That's not to say he was right or wrong as a parent, but the point, for me at least, was that this all provided space for a character to step aside from their singular view of a matter to try to empathize with a very different perspective. Again, whether it was right or wrong wasn't the draw for me, but just that she had the opportunity to revisit a closed door from her past from a new perspective. It gave her closure. THAT theme is something that I am always drawn to due to my own life experiences and philosophies of perspective. I've got different baggage that I'm dragging around, projecting onto the screen than other viewers. Makes sense.

Those moments in Afterlife ended up working for me and, as a result, eased my offense and slowly pulled me back in.

I can see that reaction falling either way. I mean as feeling a positive, sentimental tug by the end of it all, or feeling more cynical at the use of Ramis' likeness as a key plot point element, arguably exploiting his name for the sake of ticket sales. I don't have insight to the writers/director's thoughts on all that though. Generally, I would probably lean to the latter. This time, however, I was pleasantly surprised to just roll with it. That choice paid off for me.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I'm inclined to judge it harshly based on the meta narrative of how this was "giving back to the fans" after the fallout from the 2016 film (almost as if the controversy made the suits really take notice of how much people still really loved Ghostbusters and move to capitalise on it) - pandering this aggressively to fans (especially in the wake of an unpopular installment) is never a good sign, plus it draws attention to just how much they have to contrive matters in order to tell this story of all stories (when did Egon have this daughter anyway?).