Marvel's Disney's Chloe Zhao's Eternals

→ in
Tools    

Chloé Zhao is fresh off winning Best Director and Best Picture for her incredible film Nomadland. Zhao is one of the most talented and now decorated directors in the industry, and her next movie, Eternals, is poised to change the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In his recent remarks about Eternals, Marvel’s Kevin Feige makes the film sound gorgeous, and it’s all thanks to Chloé Zhao.

Kevin Feige was asked about Chloé Zhao, and her ambitious work on Eternals following her recent Oscar wins. Pegged initially to direct Black Widow, Zhao would eventually be given the green light to make Eternals after an impressive and inspiring pitch. The vision of Zhao has impressed Feige and changed the way the film was approached as opposed to other MCU movies telling Variety:

Rumors are Disney is going to give this film a BP push. Zhao used practical locations and grabbed PT Anderson's editor. Ben Davis is the Cinematographer who did the underrated and gorgeous Doctor Strange.

Hopefully we'll get a trailer in the next month

Marvel's Disney's Chloe Zhao's Eternals
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Wow you definitely know they took a leaf out of Jack Snyder's DC tree with the song choice, first we have Leonard Cohens Hallelujah and now it's Skeeter Davis End Of The World, these primordial songs stuck in every humans psyche attached to fluff, talk about polishing a turd.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

The Eternals have lived on Earth for 7,000 years. That’s a long time, but their movie somehow manages to feel even longer than that. Now, if the Eternals predate the Avengers by a few millennia, and have been actively and openly involved in various periods of human history, where where they during the events of the last two Avengers movies?

Since those (mis)adventures had nothing to do with “Deviants”, the Eternals presumably couldn't be bothered to lift a finger. If that’s the case, why did they stay on Earth so long after the Deviants had supposedly been eradicated?

And if the Deviants are at least as old as the Eternals, why are they called after a word in a language that wasn't going to exist until eons later? This question actually has an answer, albeit a nonsensical one: as far as I can discern English is, for some unfathomable reason, the lingua franca of the Universe, which of course includes both the Earth and Olympia.

One Eternal even communicates with sign language, which I guess means she invented it. Moreover, several Eternals have an unambiguous ethnicity; are we to understand that they originated these, for lack of a better term, races on our planet?

Or is it just a big coincidence that Olympia has Mexicans, Irish, Scottish, Pakistanis, and South Koreans? And speaking of inventions, it seems that ancient civilizations were more (or less, as the case may be) technologically advanced than we had previously thought; specifically when it comes to the CGI that they apparently used to build their cities.

This imagery that looks straight out of Age of Empires is the reason that Eternals never generates the slightest sense of urgency (and if it did, it could never keep it up for the more than two and a half hours of running time).

Who cares about the destruction of the world when the world in the first place is plainly phonier than a diploma issued by Megatrend University? Hell, the entire Universe seems to consist almost exclusively of green screens. How much respect or fear can Arishem and the Deviants respectively inspire or instill when they are nothing more than shapeless masses of pixels?

All things considered, the only redeeming thing about this film is that it points out (unwittingly, I must assume) the arbitrariness of everything that has to do with the MCU: "Five years ago, Thanos wiped out half the population of the universe ... But the people of this planet brought them all back with a snap of the fingers." Now imagine a 7,000-year long finger-snap.

Man I dunno, there a different ways one could take this thing. Boring or mature. Even when it tries with the normal Marvel 'haha' it doesn't annoy or land. Went into this without knowing much of anything. Some of it actually lands but takes its sweet ass time getting there. Easily the best out of the post Thanos output I've seen.