The Cell - YES, it's good!

→ in
Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Heheh, a lot of people are hearing two sides of the coin on this. I support that it's worth seeing.

I think Ebert had good reason to give it a thumbs up. This is a new vision entirely, but the director and cinematographer really pull it off. It is NOT just a music video. All visionary scenes have SOMETHING to do with the serial killer's character. The film does well balancing the internal landscape of the killer with the FBI serial killer hunt on the outside.

Jennifer Lopez is rather weak in her voice, also dampening Vince Vaughn a little in their interactions. But, he knows what he's doing and comes out good. Vincent D'Onofrio (the killer) is believably childlike AND brutally mannish at the same time. The ending is wistful but reasonable.

Worth seeing. It's intellect for your eyeballs.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I thought the cell was only ok, at best. I love those kinds of movies, but the Cell, just was ok. I hope I'm not giving anything away here, but in that scene where he is suspending himself in the air by those hooks, I felt they just threw that in there to freak out people. I was expecting it to be a scary, more psychological than a physical scare, but it didn't offer either. I was dissapointed.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Hmm, I can see how you'd be disappointed if you were expecting something scary or disturbing. I found it more "interesting" than anything else. The only disturbing sequences for me really were what he does to dolls. The suspension hook scene wasn't even really freaky. I guess I'm used to the reading about/watching movies about the dark side of people so when I saw that it was kind of expected ... or not surprising anyway.

But I wasn't really disappointed because I wanted a psychological exploration, a thoughtful/philosophical thing about the darkness in people, and I feel I got it.