Heat (1995)

→ in
Tools    

I liked them both about the same in this movie. Overall, I can't consider De Niro as good as Pacino until he learns how to cry.

Didn't you see Analyze This! LOL

When I saw the ads for Analyze This which showed De Niro crying, I thought it was going to be a hilarious performance from him. But De Niro played Analyze This pretty straight and the crying scenes are as authentic as you can get with De Niro. Even in his dramatic films, he cries like that. It's ridiculous. He cries so very infrequently that it's hard to find any proof, but De Niro wasn't playing that cry for laughs in Analyze This.

Originally posted by mightymose
Didn't you see Analyze This! LOL
Yes. That's partially how I know he can't cry.

At least in Analyze This it came off as being funny

saw this a few years back and I agree it was decent.

I saw Heat all the way through for the first time a few weeks ago and I'm still processing it I thought it was that good.

WARNING: spoilers below
Who do you guys think won in the acting battle between the two heavyweights?

It's gotta be De Niro for me. Cold and sad. He never looks comfortable in romantic situations but his chemistry with that young actress (forget her name) was just fine.
I know what you mean but Falling in Love (1984) may surprise you. The Neil/Eady first encounter was my way in to the film, which previously hadn't appealed to me. It was so clever and interesting that I wanted to see what happened.

In terms of who won I would say Al Pacino, but I reasoned that De Niro had a disadvantage. Because McCauley has selective empathy there's a limit to how much De Niro can play as the character – the restaurant scene is a case in point. Hanna feels everything very deeply and Al Pacino demonstrates that, while Neil's responses are often frighteningly detached – with one key exception. I thought Al Pacino was particularly good in the scene where Hanna has to deal with the distraught mother.

What was funny was that as I watched the beginning of the film The Dark Knight came to mind, partly due to the action and visuals and partly the music. Then on the Special Edition who should be hosting the cast interview but Christopher Nolan, so that explained that . During the bank robbery I also thought back to The Sweeney (2012) with its shootout/pursuit scene which I think captured a similar brutality and single-mindedness on the part of the robbers, but above all the terror of such an event.

The music's extraordinary, both Elliot Goldenthal's pieces and the selected tracks. Goldenthal's incredible at portraying the consequences of the characters' actions, especially with that sting as Neil kills Waingro — it must have scared the hell out of people in a cinema. I don't remember the last time I was menaced by a film like I was at times with Heat.

I watched and read about this Bank Robbery that was apparently inspired by Heat a few weeks ago, i had never heard of it:

Kinda made me want to see Heat again which is kinda wrong haha.

Something not many have twigged on with Heat's big shootout, as in, why it's so effective... is they never messed around with the sound.
In every other movie, they dub the soundtrack and add their own gunshot sounds and Foley for the bullet hits and stuff.

In Heat, the gunshots heard, are the actual blanks going off in real time, and the echoing is the real thing as well.
Makes the scene much harsher and affective.

Loved the movie

Something that I noticed during the title sequence is the phenomenon of people's names coming up and then increasing in size/coming towards the viewer before vanishing. I wondered whether that was one of the earliest uses of the technique, which is quite common now.

Who else can really say they enjoyed this movie?

i give it a perfect rating Robert De Niro is at his best! not to mention val kilmer, al pacino, and tom sizemore

it's my fav. michael mann film so far...and what really bugs me is that it's highly under rated :/

What do you think of it?
Absolutely one of my favorites. Shame on anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Heat's been on again recently a few times in the UK and I'll always manage to catch some part of it.

I think it's going to end up at least being in my top 20 favourites because it definitely struck a chord; in fact the soundtrack, which is magnificently judged, played a big part in that.

I thought this when I watched the Blu-ray a few months ago and again this time that the emotive nature of the score is similar to that of Toto's music for Dune – it could be that I'm making the connection also because of the shots of the sea outside Neil's house.

brilliant film and it is absolutely in my favorite top 20 movies of all time indeed, everything ticks in this film, its speaks about family, about love, about being a cop and not being able to handle ur family issues, it has action, it has drama, it has everything u could ask for in a movie that catches the whole parts of a cop working his ass off to prevent criminals and thieves, the cast is just perfect aswell, i can't say but praise about this film, for the direction, the score, the cinematography, the shooting scenes, micheal mann is a genius.

I remember Michael Mann saying that he spoke to William Petersen about Heat, but this must have been before Manhunter. That suggests that it was about the script that became L.A. Takedown but it's intriguing to think what part he wanted Petersen for.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
MILD SPOILER:

The thing about Heat that I didn't like was that so many people hyped the fact that it was DeNiro and Pacino's first movie together. .
Huh? I guess they never saw Godfather II

No scenes together though. I think part of the success of Righteous Kill was the amount of time the two of them were together on screen.

Did they share screen time, though, in Godfather? I think it was about them being in a scene together, exchanging dialog. But great movie, Heat. Gotta see it again soon.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Did they share screen time, though, in Godfather? I think it was about them being in a scene together, exchanging dialog. But great movie, Heat. Gotta see it again soon.
De Niro was in the flashbacks, but I dont see what the problem is with them not sharing screen time.