The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Is it about slaughtering animals for food? I've seen videos of that on Youtube and I had trouble eating meat for awhile after that.
It talks about the meat industry, yes, but it also talks about cruelty that occurs in laboratories, circuses, fur farms, and elsewhere. The one bit of footage that really stands out to me is of an animal called a raccoon dog that was raised on a fur farm. I'll put the details in spoilers for the sake of the more sensitive MoFos.

WARNING: "Earthlings" spoilers below
The animal is shown being dragged out of its cage, clubbed, stomped on, and then skinned while still alive. It then sits up and looks into the camera.

I'm the other one with Earthlings on his list, I find it to be maybe one of the most convincing argument for meat eaters because it is very graphic and can leave a huge emotionnal impact on those who watch it. However, I personally prefer Peter Singer's book and find that philosophical arguments are more convincing for my taste. Nonetheless, Earthlings is a very important film because meat eaters who sees the film have to at least question themselves about their eating habits and just for that it deserves the 7th spot on my list.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Unsurprisingly I haven't seen any of these films so far, although I have heard of them all. I have no desire to see the Earthlings one, it sounds horrific. I might get round to the others some day.

Dam, too many people voted and my nominations got crushed since nobody else shares interest in metal or miyazaki.
******** I totally frgot about "Until the Light takes us". Would have bene in my top25 if I had remembered.

The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On did not quite make my top twenty-five, though I had it in the mix until the very end. It's excellent.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Don't think I've even heard of either of those, as well. I think one from my lit will be coming shortly though

No but the film is what inspired me to do drag.
..... Beer pong inspired you to do drag? Or what about the movie made that happen?

(Jan Harlan, 2001)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278736/

38 POINTS
3 LISTS
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Cool! One of mine. The Stanley Kubrick documentary was my number 8.

8. Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures
I had it too! It was my #24.

Gunslinger, Sexy and HK we are fixed

I love Kubrick as a director, so naturally I loved the documentary about his life and his life in movies. Tom Cruise did a good job narrating, and over all a great sit for anyone who is a fan of Kubrick.

Dogtown is the first one I've seen, way back when it came out. I liked it but didn't consider voting for it.

I'd probably like the Kubrick doc.

Video was recently released where Stanley Kubrick admitted that he filmed and faked the entire moon landings: