The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The one pointers are pretty interesting. The very early De Palma I'd like to see, then Dracula film I've seen recently and enjoyed a big deal. Then a movie I had at the end of my list - Passenger. Was sure nobody else's gonna have it. Death Rides a Horse, glorious spaghetti. I Even Met Happy Gypsies is a film I meant to watch for a long time, but somehow never really got to it. Manos is said to be the worst movie ever made, so is automatically one of the best movies ever made. Have to watch it. Baron Munchausen is an extraordinary film.

Black Sunday -
(Beautiful gothic horror with Barbara Steele. Perhaps I underrated it.)
The Trial -
(Pretty good Welles film. I've seen it after Citizen Kane and thought it's better, but wasn't mindblown by it.)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Believe I had Black Sunday at #5 which might have been too low for me, as it's one of my all-time favorite horror films.

Believe I had Black Sunday at #5 which might have been too low for me, as it's one of my all-time favorite horror films.
Yup you did. I have everyone's list saved in a word file, so if anyone wants stuff confirming just ask

But fine margins, if you had it one lower, it wouldn't have made it. You were the last person to submit a list with it on, and I remember watching it hang on in the top 100 as we approached the deadline

It's great, but there are better Bava films from the 60's.
That might be true but I haven't seen enough Bava yet. It's one of my biggest shames.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Oh dear, never seen either. But then that was the same for the 80s, 90s and one of the first 2 from the 70s. I'll get around to them eventually.

I kind of think we should get to see the 101st film, since it was a tie I think it deserves it. But not the other near-misses, for the sake of suspense.

How does 59 points for 100th place compare to other countdowns?

64 - 70s
55 - animated
49 - 80s

So we're looking at quite a high vote count for a film to make it, compared to some of the other lists, possibly more of a consensus, not less as some of us had predicted. Of course, we are looking at different amounts of lists submitted.

I liked Kill, Baby, Kill better than Black Sunday but neither Bava film made my list. As for The Trial, I've seen it a couple of times but the last time was probably almost a decade ago, so It's due for a re-watch, like most of the movies on my list. It's still a solid adaptation of a great novel that Welles managed to make his own, and I'm happy to have given it some of its points.

I kind of think we should get to see the 101st film, since it was a tie I think it deserves it. But not the other near-misses, for the sake of suspense.
That sounds fair to me too, unless many object, I'll go ahead and reveal it?

As a big Welles fan I should be thrilled to see The Trial in the countdown....I tried watching it twice, but each time I shut it off. I don't know what others see in the film, I didn't see anything much but experimentation.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I liked Kill, Baby, Kill better than Black Sunday
Me too. I liked Black Sabbath and The Whip and the Body better than Black Sunday, too. Blood and Black Lace was as good as Black Sunday and also the first giallo ever (or one of the very first).

Well; usually I have to wait a while for my first film to arrive but this time it comes right away, I had The Trial at Number 7, tying me with someone else for top spot , it's my second favorite Orson Welles film, I find it a surreal masterpiece and glad it made the list.

My review:
The Trail, 1962, Welles

Orson Welles, The Trial, is not at all a court room drama. It's a twisted dream like piece, in a poetic format. A film that's always on track, but that never makes sense. It's a study of human nature and us as a society. My favorite scene is when the protagonist Joseph, is being interrogated and asked almost as it it's obvious if he's victim of society. He responds in his highest form of confidence "I am a member of society". I think this isn't said at all anymore, everyone must be an individual and no one ever admits of being a contributing member of society. The basic outline of the story is Joseph is "arrested" with not charge, he then goes through an insane legal process. Comparable to the U.S. justice system in a way.

This is my second favorite Orson Welles piece, after Touch Of Evil. The director believed this was his most accomplished film despite the critics early hatred. I could certianly see why this would be viewed as his strongest. In adapting Franz Kafka, it always feels made for cinema. He once again uses shadows and beautiful cinematic shots. With bizarre imagery of elderly waiting for a court ruling that'' never come, or a group of what we can assume are prisoners standing in the cold with nothing but rags. I can't complain to say understood all the metaphors, but I connected with the drift of ideas.

Oliver who's played by Anthony Peck, still has Norman Bates characteristics. The queer like awkward man always feels nervous and uncomfortable. He strokes his hands along walls when he walks, and runs away from an awkward situation. He starts standing up for himself later on but is always much so of a coward. He critiques the others who are hopelessly waiting for there court result shouting "you don't see me doing it" while sub consciously trapping himself.

A scene that demonstrates a kind of serfdom to the lawyers, is when we see a elderly pathetic man pleading to his. On his knees and kissing his hands only to be shunned away. Oliver looks in disgust and pity, but the man will do anything to here a word about his case. It's a disturbing scene and the one that can describe the movie the best, other than prologue. In conclusion this film is mesmerizing. It's a nightmare, with no true logic, but actual ideas. Similar to Kubricks, Eyes Wide Shut, an exposure to the inside of the system. Orson Welles narrates the closing credits, almost as a dog pees on his land, I think this his way of separating from the Kafka novel and claiming as a personal piece.
I started Black Sunday but the only version Netflix had was dubbed so I turned it off. Haven't seen any of the 1 pointers

Let the night air cool you off
I put Baron Prasil at #25 on my list, so somebody will at least see the title. I guess it was strategic voting, because I found out Mr Minio wasn't going to vote. If he was going to vote, it might have made my top 15. Maybe 10. At least now it gets some recognition.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That sounds fair to me too, unless many object, I'll go ahead and reveal it?
Do it. It deserves a place on the list.

I'm not sure if I should post the other film, or the almost made its, I think that takes away a bit of the suspense.
I'd leave it for later, maybe reveal the almost inclusions at the top 50, give em hope. Hopefully em doesn't include me, though

NO ONE else had Carry On Camping? Not even Honeykid? Didn't mean that to sound as disparaging as it did, HK. Well, ok, I did.

You po-faced lot.
I suspected HK of that , but I would've given you as a second guess. I have a love hate relationship with the Carry On films. I think I hate them but when I see them on tv I have a wave of nostalgia as the sctors are really great.

I keep changing my mind whether I should reveal the #101 film or not, and I think it was harsh that it didn't make it considering it got the same amount of points. So to get it out of the way...

It was:

101. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

(Chuck Jones & Ben Washam, 1966)

2nd (24 points), 4th (22 points), 13th (13 points)

So here goes my first entry on this list

25. Macario (Roberto Gavaldón, 1960)

How to describe this... well, imagine Buñuel making his own personal version of Bergman's The seventh seal. That would be Macario. And as a fan of these two directors, this one was an instant hit to me.

Also, not in my list but Passenger and I even met happy gypsies and Manos are great stuff as well.

Out of the two first spots in the list I haven't watched any, but both are definitely in my plans. The trial was actually one of the movies I originally wanted to watch for this list.