Rhys' Fabulous Viewing Diary of Fabulousness

→ in
Tools    

Have you seen any Hyper Realism? Like Elephant by Gus Van Sant.
Yeah, Elephant is a brilliant film but I am not completely aware of Hyper Realism as a style so I may need to check that out!

Yeah, Elephant is a brilliant film but I am not completely aware of Hyper Realism as a style so I may need to check that out!
@Zotis This is interesting. Can you give me any more examples of hyper realism in film? I loved Elephant. Thanks in advance. Sorry to hijack your thread Rhys.

Denis Villeneuve's amazing 'Polytechnique' is very similar to Elephant - would that count?

What about La Haine? Paterson? Weiner Dog? Festen? My Dinner with Andre?

@Zotis This is interesting. Can you give me any more examples of hyper realism in film? I loved Elephant. Thanks in advance. Sorry to hijack your thread Rhys.

Denis Villeneuve's amazing 'Polytechnique' is very similar to Elephant - would that count?

What about La Haine? Paterson? Weiner Dog? Festen? My Dinner with Andre?
La Haine is a fantastic film too! I haven't seen any of the others, but I am tempted to check out Polytechnique soon if it is similar to Elephant.

La Haine is a fantastic film too! I haven't seen any of the others, but I am tempted to check out Polytechnique soon if it is similar to Elephant.
It's very good. But it's based on real events. Which I don't think Elephant was - so maybe it can't be classed as "hyper realism".?

It's very good. But it's based on real events. Which I don't think Elephant was - so maybe it can't be classed as "hyper realism".?
I think Elephant is partly based on the Columbine Massacre. I have added Polytechnique to my watchlist, it looks very good!

To be honest I don't know a lot about hyper realism. It is something I want to look more into too. I have seen several Van Sant films and they all fit the bill so far. Paranoid Park is another of his that's really good.

Basically Hyper Realism dispenses with cinematic conventions and seeks to portray reality as closely as possible. They don't have structured plots or character development.

2:37 by Thalluri is a must see, that film actually made me cry. And I would say it fits the genre even more accurately than Van Sant.

Bennet Miller's films always have a clear plot and character development, but they are so realistic and based on true stories that I think they might qualify. Foxcatcher was my favorite, but I heard he has a new movie and his films have been getting steadily better. I wouldn't be surprised if he out does himself again. He also did Moneyball and Capote.

I think Elephant is partly based on the Columbine Massacre. I have added Polytechnique to my watchlist, it looks very good!
It was more inspired by than based on. But I also have never seen a film that shoots the same scene from different angles with such long shots that are completely reenacted because of where the camera is positioned. Usually people angle the cameras so they don't see each other and shoot the scene once with multiple cameras.

To be honest I don't know a lot about hyper realism. It is something I want to look more into too. I have seen several Van Sant films and they all fit the bill so far. Paranoid Park is another of his that's really good.

Basically Hyper Realism dispenses with cinematic conventions and seeks to portray reality as closely as possible. They don't have structured plots or character development.

2:37 by Thalluri is a must see, that film actually made me cry. And I would say it fits the genre even more accurately than Van Sant.

Bennet Miller's films always have a clear plot and character development, but they are so realistic and based on true stories that I think they might qualify. Foxcatcher was my favorite, but I heard he has a new movie and his films have been getting steadily better. I wouldn't be surprised if he out does himself again. He also did Moneyball and Capote.
Thanks man, that's great. I can't fine 2:37 anywhere online. Might have to track down a DVD copy.

THE GOLDEN CHILD
1986 / UNITED STATES / FIRST WATCH

Often humorous but ridiculous at times, The Golden Child is far from perfect but is certainly worth checking out for its 80's charm. The special effects alone make Golden Child worth the watch... I mean, who doesn't want to see an anthropomorphised can of Pepsi dance upon command?

-

FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
1996 / UNITED STATES / RE-WATCH

Outrageous gore, sexy vampires, Tarantino and Rodriguez. From Dusk Till Dawn is certainly fun, and would be a fantastic choice of a film if you fancied watching something that does not take itself too seriously.

+

Love both of those. More for nostalgia reasons than anything.

"I didn't kill him. Maybe he cut himself shaving and bled to death looking for a kleenex"

Terrible, corny lines. But I enjoyed it as a kid.

The Bycicle Theif by Bresson.
Vittorio De Sica directed it

EDDIE THE EAGLE
2016 / UNITED KINGDOM & UNITED STATES / FIRST WATCH

Although certainly cheesy at times, Eddie the Eagle manages to remain charming throughout.

+

DRIVE
2011 / UNITED STATES / RE-WATCH

Drive is a highly stylised film with an 80's feel - a vibe which is mostly set by the fantastic music which is utilised throughout. The action and car chase scenes that are seen throughout the film are also of a very high quality. These scenes are shot remarkably well and demonstrate a great deal of realism. In fact, the entire film exhibits wonderful cinematography.

-

I'm thinking about booting up this thread again and actually sticking around this time. I have had a long hiatus from this message board and hope to get stuck back in. I've been watching a whole lot of movies recently too.

THE WIZARD OF OZ
DIRECTED BY VICTOR FLEMING
1939 / UNITED STATES
RE-WATCH

"What would you do with a brain if you had one?"

The Wizard of Oz is a wonderful example of classic three-strip Technicolor film and needs no introductions. Featuring some of the most iconic characters from early cinema, Oz is a timeless film that has the attributes to be watched and appreciated for generations to come.

FUN FACT: Early technicolour film needed a great deal of light to expose the celluloid properly and during the filming of Oz, the film set would reach temperatures of over 100 °F (38 °C). Imagine walking around in those costumes all day in that heat!

GREEN ROOM
DIRECTED BY JEREMY SAULNIER
2015 / UNITED STATES

"So, in a tournament, I snap his arms or he taps out and we all go get burgers."

Starring the late Anton Yelchin leading his punk band who get caught up in a wrong-place, wrong-time situation, Green Room is a brutal blood-bath dripping with suspense. After witnessing a murder, the group are held as hostage by a bunch of neo-Nazis led by Darcy (Patrick Stewart) and must band together to survive a barrage of blades, bullets and killer dogs.

FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
1996 / UNITED STATES / RE-WATCH

Outrageous gore, sexy vampires, Tarantino and Rodriguez. From Dusk Till Dawn is certainly fun, and would be a fantastic choice of a film if you fancied watching something that does not take itself too seriously.

+
loved this movie

BLUE RUIN
DIRECTED BY JEREMY SAULNIER
2013 / UNITED STATES & FRANCE
RE-WATCH

"I know this is personal and that's how you'll fail. No speeches. You point the gun, you shoot."

Watching Saulnier's Green Room yesterday encouraged me to return to his 2013 feature, Blue Ruin. I had seen this film a number of years prior, I can't remember when exactly but I would guess between 2014-2015. Dwight (Macon Blair) a man living out of his rusted, blue Pontiac Bonneville in Delaware, learns that Wade Cleland, the man that murdered his parents twenty years earlier, is due to be released from prison. Whilst returning to his hometown in Virginia, Dwight buys a gun and things for him quickly become increasingly ugly. Blue Ruin is a fantastic slow-burn revenge thriller following a quiet man determined to avenge the death of his parents, despite fearing what lies ahead of him.