Prometheus

→ in
Tools    

Yeah, this was a letdown, but I still found it really enjoyable as well as beautiful to look at. Certainly could've been a lot worse.

I also thought this was pretty on-point (spoiler warning): http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Pretty insightful and clears up a lot of symbolism and covers some other various topics.

Yeah, this was a letdown
Don't say that, I happened seen it yet Though, Ridley Scott has done great, GREAT Films!

A system of cells interlinked
I really enjoyed this. I had heard some complaints about script issues with Lindelhoff, and I guess I can't argue with some of them, but I still found the flick to be thought-provoking, well paced and the art direction was stellar. I watched the other Alien films this weekend as well, and they all have issues with timing or logic if you look hard enough (especially Aliens). I feel like they set up rules in one film and then break them in the next, but, whatever. The pacing of Prometheus was a bit less organic than Aliens, but it had more in common with Alien with the slow building of tension, which I found to be pretty damn effective.

Oh, what the hell:

Not as strong as I had hoped, but pretty close on most levels.

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
There is almost absolutely nothing to suggest that Shaw is the space jockey the crew in Alien encounter. What made me ask that question???
Hehe. You're right it is a wacky theory considering the space jockey in Alien is way bigger than a human, and fossilsed.

Oddly though we never see the date at the beginning of Alien.

I just think it depends on how crazy you want to get with finding a cool way to wrap up Shaw's journey, and her subsequent significance on the Alien time line. After all who's to say the Engineers don't 'modify' her in some way before sending her crashing through a worm hole?

Not really that crazy when you consider the goofy crap they thought up to justify the Star Trek re-boot.

I was really just throwing stuff out there though.

Hehe. You're right it is a wacky theory considering the space jockey in Alien is way bigger than a human, and fossilsed.

Oddly though we never see the date at the beginning of Alien.

I just think it depends on how crazy you want to get with finding a cool way to wrap up Shaw's journey, and her subsequent significance on the Alien time line. After all who's to say the Engineers don't 'modify' her in some way before sending her crashing through a worm hole?

Not really that crazy when you consider the goofy crap they thought up to justify the Star Trek re-boot.

I was really just throwing stuff out there though.
Heh, well I guess a lot of things seem possible in Alien world right now, I was just curious as to how something like that would pop up in your head. I'm a bit annoyed though because now you've got me thinking all sorts of crazy **** .

I'll tell you what, though. If the subsequent sequels turn out to support that theory, I'll actually send you a bottle of whisky or some crap.

I felt like I was watching two different movies simultaneously. On the one hand there was a visceral thriller that was consistently impressive. It had a thin but convoluted plot that was just there to provide some familiar background noise to a perfectly realized alien world. Our on-screen watcher/avatar was suitably "more human than human", just like the brilliant crew who created the images. That movie hit me on an instinctual level, and it didn't matter that character motivations were opaque or contradictory -- it might have even helped.

The other movie had fan service moments and rote plot-twists (WMD's! It's not the "real" planet!) and other story-slots left empty for further dumb explanations in sequels and spin-offs. It was branded merchandise parasitically attached to any actual life in the movie. It was written by some tv hack and should have been aborted in a particularly grotesque fashion.

You know, I've been trying to come up with something to say about what I saw on Saturday night without being totally rude and just downright mean towards the film. I'll go with what lines just said.

linespalsy

Netflix changed my life.
Saw it yesterday at the IMAX. Was really looking forward to it, came away a bit disappointed, but not terribly so. Space, ships, planets, etc. all look incredible on the IMAX screen. I was actually a bit disappointed when that part of the movie ended!

Aww you guys are lame, ok not really. I can understand why so many people were dissapointed with Prometheus but putting all the thoughts aside that it was supposed to be just as good as Alien it still seemed like an awesome movie. There were a ton of mistakes but the ships were awesome, the acting was good, and we got at least a little bit of insight that the original never gave us.

And isn't there supposed to be a second prequal?

And I didn't, not like it, just didn't like, like it. It's a low
. Almost a
for me.

I guess I stupidly thought that this was just a prequel. Not a trilogy of prequels.

I didn't even know there was gonna be more than this one prequel which I think is stupid. It's like when a girl tells a story.

ok, maybe just how I tell a story. lol

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
The movie succeeded in its wide scope and tense atmosphere, it was visually stunning and I was wildly impressed with the opening sequence.

But everything else was sloppy. Very weak character development (I didn't care about anybody in the crew), poor writing (sorry, Damon), and too many elements that distracted from what could have been a very compelling story.

I think Ridley Scott tried to do too much with this movie. Mid-life crisis, perhaps?

Anyway, I was pretty disappointed with "Prometheus"

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Loved this. Still talking about it, still THINKING about it, and want to see it a second time. I hate that all the complaints I've read about it on various sites is that it forces the viewer to do the "Heavy Lifting" OF THINKING instead of just giving you answers. I like that it's making me do a bit of work, actually. The conversations with my GF about the movie and what it means have been just as fun as seeing the movie itself.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I hate that all the complaints I've read about it on various sites is that it forces the viewer to do the "Heavy Lifting" OF THINKING instead of just giving you answers. I like that it's making me do a bit of work, actually. The conversations with my GF about the movie and what it means have been just as fun as seeing the movie itself.
I love thinking about movies. However, when there's hardly a theme in the film that was even addressed, it's quite difficult to bother. All we got out of it was that we were probably created by some white people, who may or may not have been created by the christian god. That's not a theme, that's a (vague) jumping off point.