I need some 2000s movie recommendations that I will actually watch!

→ in
Tools    

He's been in a quite few things I've enjoyed (Highwaymen and the excellent series Person of Interest), but he's also gone a bit wacky in the last few years. He's been helping spread a conspiracy theory that the Jewish elite are harvesting organs from children to make an anti-aging drug and that's, you know, a pretty gross and bigoted thing to put out there!
Wow! I didn't know about that at all. I wasn't that impressed with his acting in Frequency.

I haven't seen it in a loooong time, but I do remember enjoying The Count of Monte Cristo.

Wow! I didn't know about that at all. I wasn't that impressed with his acting in Frequency.
He sometimes really nails a sort of "soft-spoken tough guy" character that I do find appealing. I don't think he's the best actor, per se, but I do think that he has presence. I am glad that I finished Person of Interest before finding out that he's kind of garbage, because at this point I'm not really interested in looking at him, LOL.

Cool. I don't even know the story, I mean I've heard of it, but that's about all.
In the words of Andy Dufresne, "You'll like it, it's about a prison break."

In the words of Andy Dufresne, "You'll like it, it's about a prison break."
Cool beans then I'm acquiring the film now. Hope to watch it real soon and I'll post back here in my 2000 decade prep-thread.

I know that recommending books can be a reach for some people, especially a book as long as Count of Monte Cristo, but the book is really, really good. I listened to it as an audiobook driving to and from work for like 2 weeks.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Frequency (2000) @gbgoodies

I've never seen the Aurora Borealis, but I would sure like to. It's those lights in the sky that allow a son (Jim Caviezel) to talk to his long gone father (Dennis Quad) 30 years into the past.

I see that this movie is rated pretty highly at IMDB so a lot of people must like it. I didn't care for it much myself, BUT I do appreciate the recommendation Thanks GBG

I'm surprised that you didn't like Frequency. I thought between the unique time travel angle and the mystery, you would have liked it.

Thanks for giving it a try anyway. (It's probably a lock to make my list.)

He's been in a quite few things I've enjoyed (Highwaymen and the excellent series Person of Interest), but he's also gone a bit wacky in the last few years. He's been helping spread a conspiracy theory that the Jewish elite are harvesting organs from children to make an anti-aging drug and that's, you know, a pretty gross and bigoted thing to put out there!

I think I've only seen Jim Caviezel in Frequency, Pay It Forward, and "Person of Interest", but I don't know anything about his personal life. That stuff sounds pretty strange. Where did you read that about him?

EDIT: I'm really REALLY not trying to take this thread anywhere political. So below is a link to where I read about the stuff about Caviezel, but we can leave it at that or continue this in PMs or a different thread.

I think I've only seen Jim Caviezel in Frequency, Pay It Forward, and "Person of Interest", but I don't know anything about his personal life. That stuff sounds pretty strange. Where did you read that about him?

EDIT: I'm really REALLY not trying to take this thread anywhere political. So below is a link to where I read about the stuff about Caviezel, but we can leave it at that or continue this in PMs or a different thread.

I don't want to derail this thread either, so this will be my final post on the subject too. I wasn't doubting that what you said was true. I was just wondering where you read it.

I don't want to derail this thread either, so this will be my final post on the subject too. I wasn't doubting that what you said was true. I was just wondering where you read it.
Not at all--didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing. I'm just hyper aware that this is someone else's thread and don't want to take it somewhere not in line with what he's doing here. The Wired article embedded in the Tweet was actually a very interesting read.

Stardust (2007)
@Takoma11

A very enjoyable movie. I know I'm enjoying a movie when I don't check the remaining time and I don't get distracted. With Stardust I was interested in the story, especially the world-building right from the start.

I liked the sets and the shooting locations in England & Scotland. Michelle Pfeiffer was good as the bad witch and it was fun to see a cameo by Peter O'Toole... but it was Claire Danes who I liked the most as the fallen heavenly star.

Come to think of it, the idea of celestial stars being entities that watch humanity on the Earth below was a neat concept. I liked how Claire was a human like being on Earth, but had star qualities that set her apart. Kind of hard to explain, I'll just say when her heart was light and content she glowed...and in the case of a bad witch trying to capture her, glowing was a dangerous giveaway that she wasn't human.

Fun film!
+++

MysticRiver (2003) @KeyserCorleone

I watched this a week ago and was very impressed! One of the better movies I've seen in awhile...I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to write about it. But I did post about it recently and said this:

'I think highly of Eastwood as a director, though his last film [Cry Macho] was only average at best...When I watched Mystic River, I couldn't believe Eastwood had directed it...Mystic River was so polish, so sublime, really a near perfect film. I'd rate it a
But on a personal level crime type films like that aren't my favorite, but still I was impressed by it."

Thanks - reminds me I ought to give Mystic River a spin before the deadline as it's been a while.

Thanks - reminds me I ought to give Mystic River a spin before the deadline as it's been a while.
I have a really tight voting ballot as it is, so for any of these recommendations to crack my ballot will be nothing short of a miracle. Still there's a chance and I haven't watched them all yet!

I have a really tight voting ballot as it is, so for any of these recommendations to crack my ballot will be nothing short of a miracle. Still there's a chance and I haven't watched them all yet!
Not even started to think about what might make my ballot yet tbh, still busy digging eligible movies out of the piles around the house and watching them. I've been concentrating primarily on the horror piles thus far in October but am getting a bit restless so I reckon I'm about ready to switch things up a bit for a while and already have Mystic River located

I'll worry about actually forming a ballot in the final week of the watch period.

Stardust (2007)
@Takoma11

A very enjoyable movie. I know I'm enjoying a movie when I don't check the remaining time and I don't get distracted. With Stardust I was interested in the story, especially the world-building right from the start.

I liked the sets and the shooting locations in England & Scotland. Michelle Pfeiffer was good as the bad witch and it was fun to see a cameo by Peter O'Toole... but it was Claire Danes who I liked the most as the fallen heavenly star.

Come to think of it, the idea of celestial stars being entities that watch humanity on the Earth below was a neat concept. I liked how Claire was a human like being on Earth, but had star qualities that set her apart. Kind of hard to explain, I'll just say when her heart was light and content she glowed...and in the case of a bad witch trying to capture her, glowing was a dangerous giveaway that she wasn't human.

Fun film!
+++
I thought that someone else recommended this and that I endorsed it as well, but I will happily take credit!

I'm glad you liked it. It's such a fun film, I find myself watching it in whole or in part quite frequently.