Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Nah, promotion is easy, spreadsheets are hard! I don't know how to use a spreadsheet and I didn't when I hosted the 1930s Top 100 countdown. So if using a spreadsheet is now a requirement (I'm still not clear on that aspect)? I might have to pass on future hosting of a countdown.
I'm a spreadsheet freak, so I'm on the other end of the spectrum, in that I might find myself doing one just for fun... but so far, the answer seems to be "NO" to needing to use spreadsheets.

Let me know if you have any issues re-submitting your ballot. @Yoda, should there be any issue? Do you have to clear something on your side?
Yeah, I have to wipe it out manually. @Guaporense, when you said you "changed it" you just mean you updated your list on a text file or something somewhere, yeah?

I'm a spreadsheet freak, so I'm on the other end of the spectrum, in that I might find myself doing one just for fun... but so far, the answer seems to be "NO" to needing to use spreadsheets.
Thanks Thief

Yeah, I have to wipe it out manually. @Guaporense, when you said you "changed it" you just mean you updated your list on a text file or something somewhere, yeah?
I assume that's it. He/she sent me a DM with a revised list, but the ballot I have from the tool is the previous one.

Ah. If it's just a handful of changes can you send me them so I can update manually?

I might have to see if I can augment the tool to throw an error if someone tries to do this, because fixing this stuff manually is fairly tedious.

Ah. If it's just a handful of changes can you send me them so I can update manually?

I might have to see if I can augment the tool to throw an error if someone tries to do this, because fixing this stuff manually is fairly tedious.
Done.

Cool, I'll fix that today.

Meanwhile, I think I managed to restrict the ballot tool to films from 2000 to 2009. It should now throw an error if you try to select anything else. Only took a couple of minutes, too, assuming I did it right.

I think there's a chance there'll be some edge cases, with films that saw a limited or North American release or something right around the cutoff, so we'll see how it goes. Right now it's just using the year on TMDB.

I send a PM with the new list. Like the old way these countdowns were done.

Just to clarify - are you accepting ballots from people with shorts on?
Or will I have to finally concede summer is over when submitting mine late-Nov / early-Dec and put on me long trousers to go through the process

(really hope I'm still allowed submit a ballot after this post)

Just to clarify - are you accepting ballots from people with shorts on?
Or will I have to finally concede summer is over when submitting mine late-Nov / early-Dec and put on me long trousers to go through the process

(really hope I'm still allowed submit a ballot after this post)
The primary thing we're encouraging people to do is submit their ballots with a helicopter beanie. That's the only one we must insist. Once we go below the neck, everything is game, I guess.

A system of cells interlinked
I've given up on pants completely at this point... Still have my socks on, though.

To keep up with some more recommendations, here are the eligible films from the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list, edited by Steven Jay Schneider.
  • In the Mood for Love (2000)
  • Gladiator (2000)
  • The Gleaners & I (2000)
  • Memento (2000)
  • Requiem for a Dream (2000)
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
  • Spirited Away (2001)
  • LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
  • Bowling for Columbine (2002)
  • City of God (2002)
  • Russian Ark (2002)
  • LOTR: The Two Towers (2002)
  • Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer (2003)
  • Elephant (2003)
  • Good Bye Lenin! (2003)
  • Oldboy (2003)
  • Osama (2003)
  • LOTR: The Return of the King (2003)
  • Downfall (2004)
  • Head-On (2004)
  • Moolaadé (2004)
  • Brokeback Mountain (2005)
  • The Lives of Others (2006)
  • Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
  • Paranormal Activity (2007)
  • There Will Be Blood (2007)
  • Let the Right One In (2008)
  • The Dark Knight (2008)
  • The Hurt Locker (2008)
  • District 9 (2009)

And this is from Jennifer Eiss's 500 Essential Cult Movies. The list has 500+ films, but these are the eligible ones for our countdown...
  • Almost Famous (2000)
  • Amores Perros (2000)
  • Baise-moi (2000)
  • Battle Royale (2000)
  • Best in Show (2000)
  • Chopper (2000)
  • Ginger Snaps (2000)
  • Memento (2000)
  • Requiem for a Dream (2000)
  • Together (2000)
  • Unbreakable (2000)
  • Das Experiment (2001)
  • Dogtown and Z-Boys (2001)
  • Donnie Darko (2001)
  • Ghost World (2001)
  • 24 Hour Party People (2002)
  • 28 Days Later (2002)
  • Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)
  • Dog Soldiers (2002)
  • Far from Heaven (2002)
  • Funny Ha Ha (2002)
  • Irreversible (2002)
  • Ju-on (2002)
  • Infernal Affairs (2002)
  • Capturing the Friedmans (2003)
  • Elephant (2003)
  • Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem (2003)
  • Oldboy (2003)
  • Touching the Void (2003)
  • Dead Man's Shoes (2004)
  • Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (2004)
  • Night Watch (2004)
  • Primer (2004)
  • Saw (2004)
  • Shaun of the Dead (2004)
  • Brick (2004)
  • Caché (2005)
  • Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
  • Mirrormask (2005)
  • Black Sheep (2006)
  • Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
  • The Host (2006)
  • Tell No One (2006)
  • Renaissance (2006)
  • A Scanner Darkly (2006)
  • Juno (2007)
  • In Bruges (2008)
  • Man on Wire (2008)

The list was released in 2010, which is probably why there aren't any 2009 films.

I appreciate all the effort you're putting into this, Thief. Keep up the great work
Just trying to keep up the engagement.

Cool, I'll fix that today.

Meanwhile, I think I managed to restrict the ballot tool to films from 2000 to 2009. It should now throw an error if you try to select anything else. Only took a couple of minutes, too, assuming I did it right.

I think there's a chance there'll be some edge cases, with films that saw a limited or North American release or something right around the cutoff, so we'll see how it goes. Right now it's just using the year on TMDB.
Just bumping to say this should be fixed now.