Smudge's Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

A Star is Born (2018) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...-is-born-2018/

To start with, short of dying and going to heaven for Judy Garland singing the Man That Got Away in the 1954 version, I havent seen any of the previous incarnations, so my remake-itis doesnt come into play here.

Im generally also wary of films that gain a lot of hype, especially in this start of the run up to awards season, as they tell you everything is brilliant, and then, well, most of it is stuff we've all seen before. So despite the hype, my expectations were starting out a little low. I was expecting not to like this very much.

But I did! A musical romance, and for that to work in any context, it desperately needs two things. Showstopping musical scenes, and believable chemistry between your leads. This very much delivers those two key ingredients. At not a single moment does this relationship feel like it;s being forced upon, or like this is two actors playing at love. It feels real from the second our characters meet. From the sheepish looks of early attraction, to the later pain and heartbreak that comes at times over their years together. I bought this chemistry, and in a film that is essentially a love story, that can sometimes be enough.

The music...well...let's just say Bradley Cooper made an excellent editorial decision to leave much of the singing to Lady Gaga. Yes, Im a fan anyway, and there are very few better voices around today. Like the chemistry, the strength of the songs is how personal they feel, how they are landmarks in the relationship, how they reflect the story. And reflect pretty much the true fact that music adds attraction. Seriously stick a mike or a guitar in front of anybody and the sex appeal goes through the ceiling. Music is about connections and emotion. I think on that note, the film could have addressed the questions over the mid section where it is suggested there is some 'selling out,' but then maybe it still works, as Ally and Jack's relationship is always as good as their music is together. When their music is good, so are they. When they falter, so does the music.

It reminded me an awful lot of The Way We Were, following a couple over a period of time, their compromises, their possibly outgrowing each other. Very enjoyable, and that final scene? Bang, like a sledgehammer.

Tom Holland has put together a fully accessible horror film with good special effects, quality characters and interactions that we care about, on top of an absolutely fantastic soundtrack. It will never be an award winner, but it's one of my all time favourites I go back to over and over again.

Good to see another FN fan here. One of my favorites out of tons of favorites.

Sleepless in Seattle (1993) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...ss-in-seattle/

So this was the first film I decided to watch with my new random number generator idea, so when I dont know what to watch, I dont just end up flicking through the menus on Netflix and Prime for 2 hours and end up watching nothing. Right now, that seems like a more attractive option.

And it all started so promisingly with the whole phone call setup, but beyond that first half hour, this descends further and further into trope laden 'stalking is totally acceptable when they're pretty' creepy as hell homewrecking make it stop right now bull****.

Always said that romcoms are that genre that doesnt have an in between. They're either really right, or really wrong. This is all kinds of really wrong that even early 90s Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan cant save. Burn it all.

When Harry Met Sally was decent, though..if you're in the mood for that period specific feel-good comedy drama with good camera work, lighting and location/actors.

When Harry Met Sally was decent, though..if you're in the mood for that period specific feel-good comedy drama with good camera work, lighting and location/actors.
I love When Harry Met Sally. I dont think the romcom genre will ever top it, of its time, but also completely timeless. Its one I go back to every time Im ever feeling down on humanity because it reminds me of everything I love about us. I think thats why I was so surprised how SiS fell so flat. You wonder how the same write can get it so right in one film, and so badly wrong in another.

You wonder how the same write can get it so right in one film, and so badly wrong in another.
I've long attributed that to behind the scene spoilage. Expensive dinners, drugs, pompous encounters..it can really wear someone out. I believe SIS was after WHMS so my best guess is that the writing took a hit once they decided to formulate a good thing. Starbuck's lunches, early lap tops, women's eternity stinking up the agencies..it had to have been hell behind the scenes.

Two Weeks Notice (2002) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...-weeks-notice/

A break from all the horror with a Sandra Bullock led romcom double! Starting with this guilty little pleasure of mine. While not being a laugh out loud comedy, there is enough subtle likeability that the two leads carry it off. A good comedy mix between Hugh Grant's more deadpan kind of funny, and Sandra Bullock's more overt humour, it makes for a good mix, and most of what is good comes from how they play off each other. Its light powderpuff feelgood fluff, and sometimes that all I want!

Also, I had completely forgot that Trump was in this film? The film is actually a quite important one with it's New York setting given its timing just after 9/11, when nobody really wanted to film there.

And finally, best use of a stapler in film since Office Space.

The Proposal (2009) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...proposal-2009/

Sandra Bullock romcom number 2 of the night! And one I havent seen before. Much less chemistry between the two leads than Two Weeks Notice, but then I think it gets away with it, because for most of the film, they're actually supposed to hate each other!

I think what makes this one work more than anything is Ryan Reynolds' family, as they are all so lovey and charming and funny (especially over-romantic Granny Annie) that they do create a warm little existence that definitely helps to make it easier to buy into what's going on.

An absolutely ridiculous premise and setup, but it has enough good moments to make it work.

The Rescuers (1977) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/the-rescuers/

The Big Disney Challenge 23/56

I always quite liked this one. One of Disney's darker and grimmer efforts, it always felt a lot scarier as a kid than these otherworldly monsters like witches and dragons. Our 'damsel in distress' was a little girl like I was at the time, and the villain was an ordinary person. Throw in the fact I've always been uncomfortable around water, and it's no surprise this one had more of a fear factor than the others when I was little!

It's overall quite dark and gritty, with the only real warmth coming from the characters, especially Bernard and Miss Bianca as they fall in love while on this mission to save a little girl. The score reinforces this, I don't think any of the songs are massively strong, but the way they are incorporated into the score adds to the emotions and feelings going on here.

Madame Medusa is another outstanding Disney villainess, and one of the more sinister as she is quite clearly selfish and bonkers, but also manipulative, bending everyone around her to find this diamond. Her animation is memorable, managing to look almost comical, but still a little bit scary, and the voicework from legend Geraldine Page is a masterpiece. One of the best of many great Disney villains.

Best Song:
As above, I don't think any really stand out as the songs, but work so well for the score. Someone's Waiting For You in particular.

Best Scene:
The scene where Bernard and Bianca are searching her office and we meet Madame Medusa for the first time. It's tense and nervy, and a great introduction to the character.

As An Adult:
Nothing really stood out.

Racism-watch:
Think it was more ignorance than racism, but the scene at the beginning with the Rescue Aid Society delegates with the little UN style plaques in front with the country they represent? Yeah one of them has Africa...so either ignorance or that's a hell of an area for one mouse to cover! It's likely ignorance though given that another one has Arabia, while another has Vienna!

Did I Cry? The score makes this one quite emotional at various points, but that line when Madame Medusa asks why would anyone want to adopt Penny...that's cold. Heartbreakingly cold. Every time.

[/quote]

Scream (1996) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/scream/

Horror-tober 10

One I've been meaning to revisit for a while, and since it turned up on tv tonight, why the hell not? This is actually the first time I'd seen it since I got my hands on an illegal VHS copy not long after it came out, since I was too young to see it. I guess that means I was 11/12 at the time. I enjoyed it then, but I think watching it back now as a proper horror fan, I got so much more out of it and spotted all the more subtle horror references. The film manages to be both a parody, as well as a love letter to all the slasher films we know and love.

That opening has become as iconic as some of those scenes from those old classics. Drew Barrymore's 12 minute cameo at the very start is some of the finest slasher fare you'll see anywhere, as well as reviving the idea of the early shock death seen in Psycho (just one of many classics referenced multiple times). After that, the dialogue is sharp and funny, the atmosphere and jump scares top notch, and the film's smiling self awareness is just beautiful. The way the scenes in the party are intercut with the kids watching Halloween is done so well, from Randy being stalked by the killer as he watches Jamie Lee Curtis being stalked on tv, to the 'obligatory tit shot' cut with the sex scene. An excellent rebirth of a genre.

The Net (1995) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/the-net/

Well hello there and welcome to another Sandra double bill! This time delving into the mid to late 90s back catalogue!

I was always aware of the concept of this film, but never saw any of it until now. In fairness, it probably did have a good idea a little ahead of it's time that it would soon be possible to live your entire life online and you can easily have your identity stolen and your whole life turned upside down by the wrong people getting hold of your details.

And in fairness, it executes some of that fear quite well, this film is probably a lot more relevant now than it was in 1995, especially now we all have smartphones and broadband. The concept of being able to change someone's medical records to get them out of the way, or find out every personal detail about someone in order to manipulate them, that fear and tension is done quite well. There are plenty of other bits though that felt a little silly and needlessly padded out with random techno-speak to fill holes.

It's still a fun enough little thriller though, and a glorious dollop of hyper nostalgia for anyone who grew up in the age of the dreaded modem noise.

Practical Magic (1998) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...actical-magic/

And to contrast The Net, this is one I have seen. Many MANY times, and Im still shocked that it has just passed 20 years since it came out.

This is a very odd kind of film, with a mad mix of genres. It's mainly drama, but of a supernatural variety, following a familial line of sister witches. And then its a romance, as all the women in the line have a curse that befalls any man who falls in love with them. And then it's sad, as the curse provides obvious loss. And then it's got some comedy too. And midnight margaritas. And then it's horror, as the witches are haunted by a familiar spirit. But it works, it so so works!

The factor at work here is power and sisterhood, and it is shown in two lines. The two sisters as children summing up their completely different attitudes to the family curse with 'I hope I never fall in love,' to 'I cant wait to fall in love!' And then a line towards the middle of the film by Sandra Bullock, stating that something only has power as long as you believe in it. That doesnt just go for their magic powers, but the power of the curse too.

It is one of those films I go back to every so often and it just makes me feel happy and warm. It also has an abundance of Stevie Nicks, so it gets an extra star for that alone.

Teen Wolf (1985) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/teen-wolf/

So the 80s high school genre is one I always have a soft spot for, but well aware that for all the good ones, there are always some seriously bad examples. Sadly I think this is one of them.

Take every jokey negative trope of the genre and the decade, the horrendous slow motion montages, the terrible masculinity that being good at sports makes you suddenly infallible as a human being, the bad BAD soundtrack, massively slutty dreamgirl who of course is dating that older douchebag who despite also being good at sports, everybody hates, little bit of casual homophobia, and you mostly have the bad side of the genre. Enjoy!

WARNING: "" spoilers below
Kudos, I did full on laugh out loud the dad/ werewolf reveal...

The Amityville Horror (1979) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...yville-horror/

Horror-tober 11

Interesting watching this now while I've been watching Hill House on Netflix...I don't think this does quite as good a job on the evil house genre, but I don't think it's a total bust either.

Overall, I think it's a bit of a mess. A lot of ideas, some of them good, dome bad, all thrown together with a bit of a messy outcome. There are bits that happen and I'm wondering why the hell it's there. I've said before that I have a thing for horrors that make good use of religion, thus has some good elements of that but I think massively underused. The jump scares are actually pretty effective, and the music does a very good job of creating an unnerving atmosphere. James Brolin also deserves credit for his performance, as his physical and mental deterioration are very creepy, ypire genuinely unsure just how insane he has gone.

Overall, a bit of a jumble. Some good bits, but as a sum of its parts, it had potential to be much better.

Halloween (1978) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...alloween-1978/

Horror-tober 12

What better way to see off Horror-tober but with a big screen showing of the original slasher on Halloween? Its been a few years since I saw it last (I believe that was the time I got my horror hating friend to watch it with me, then traumatised her afterwards by sending her texts like 'make sure that window isnt ajar before you go to bed eh?' Im a bastard) but it's still just as good as I remembered it.

Other horrors have the blood, the creepy one liner villains, the body count, the intrigue. Not this, we are explained to early on that our killer Michael Myers is so devoid of humanity, he is practically an 'it,' rather than a 'him.' Everything that happens here is a masterclass in tension and atmosphere, all done with framing and music. From the steadicam point of view shots used when 6 year old Michael murders his sister, to the sound of his breathing when he isnt even shot, just reminding us that he is there somewhere. It is all atmosphere, and so good at it. Easily one of my top 5 horror films ever.

Oh, and a casual reminder that engaging in sexytimes in a horror film setting will get you murdered. So just remember that if you're ever in a horror film, keep your urges in check! (Unless it's one of those weird killers who preys on virgins...never mind, you're screwed either way!)

The Fox and the Hound (1981) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...and-the-hound/

The Big Disney Challenge 24/56

A while since Ive seen this because to be honest, it's not a favourite. As a kid, it's a little too dull and devoid of humour to really be enjoyable. As an adult, even seeing the obvious nature vs nurture/ natural enemies/ friends from different backgrounds re: race/ sexuality/ ideology/ religion etc. story going on, it's still quite dull, and you know through years of cynicism that people dont change their nature. Everything here is heavily sentimental, it is simply an 80 odd minute emotional blackmail.

Best Song:
None of them really stand out. The score is very good, but the songs...forgettable. Half of them Id forgot were even in it.

Best Scene:
The Widow owning the Hunter as he chases Todd for the first time. The Widow rules.

Did I Cry?
Im sorry, but you can stuff Mufasa's death, Bambi's ma, Dumbo's ma, all of it. There is no more emotionally destructive scene in Disney than the Widow leaving Todd in the woods.

Up (2009) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/up/

The Big Pixar Rewatch 10/19

Another one that has somehow passed me by despite the DVD being sat on our shelf for years, and now wondering why!

An absolutely ridiculous premise, God only knows how someone pitched the idea of an elderly guy attaching balloons to his house and flying away to South America with a Wilderness Explorer kid, a talking dog and a giant bird...but thankfully someone did! To take such a bizarre premise, and create one of the most funny and touching stories on film is an act of genius.

No messing, that opening 10 minutes is some of the most beautiful heartbreaking stuff ever made, as we see Carl and Ellie's marriage and life together put together in one stunning montage, so good that if you arent in tears already by this point, this humanity thing isnt for you. And if you think thats where the tears stop, think again. The storyline may be bizarre, but the feelings are real, as we follow Carl on his adventure as a bitter, lonely old man, as he learns to find something to carry on living for. A masterpiece.

[/quote]

To All the Boys Ive Loved Before (2018) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...-loved-before/

So I have very low expectations these days of any Netflix original film, as pretty much all of the ones I've seen have been diabolical (I'm staring in a very judging manner at you Kissing Booth and Alex Strangelove...) but we finally have a trendbreaker!

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a masterpiece by any means, but it's a high school romcom that actually has likeable characters in it, and good chemistry between the leads, so that is the biggest battle won right there. Fuzzy and feelgood, some good funny moments and lots of feels. Worth a go If you just need some cheering up.

Also, absolute cold sweats and feeling personally attacked by Lara Jean's explanation of why she never had a boyfriend. That all felt dangerously close to my 16 year old self. Further cold sweats even now aged 32 at the thought of any of the boys I loved between the ages of 14 and 25 ever reading any of the cringey **** I ever wrote about them. I'd die, I swear.

Romy & michele's High School Reunion (1997) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...chool-reunion/

Yes I've seen this before. Many many times because I bloody love it and how happy it makes me feel!

Fantastic 80s soundtrack, a dream sequence with a grudge to the levels of petty we can all aspire to, a businesswomen's lunch special, post-its, an utter bitch of a high school clique queen in Christy Masters, all coming together in a glorious 90s satire of the 80s high school genre.

Also, that scene at the prom to Time After Time? "I'll dance with you Romy..." Yaaaas, hos over bros all the way!

[/quote]

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Romy & michele's High School Reunion (1997) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...chool-reunion/

Yes I've seen this before. Many many times because I bloody love it and how happy it makes me feel!

Fantastic 80s soundtrack, a dream sequence with a grudge to the levels of petty we can all aspire to, a businesswomen's lunch special, post-its, an utter bitch of a high school clique queen in Christy Masters, all coming together in a glorious 90s satire of the 80s high school genre.

Also, that scene at the prom to Time After Time? "I'll dance with you Romy..." Yaaaas, hos over bros all the way!

[/quote]

My wife loves this movie.

Suspect's Reviews

Mother! (2017) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/mother-2017/

How to spend 2 hours smashing your audience in the face with metaphor and allegory, followed by lots of gratuitous violence and shock value!

I think Black Swan went to Aronofsky's head, because dear me what a pile of steaming bollocks this is.

[/quote]