Future Classics

Tools    

What films of the past ten years do you think will be remembered as classics years from now?

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Zodiac & The Prestige.

I kind of hope Super 8 will be a classic in the same way The Goonies is a classic. Unfortunately, the times have changed. They focus too much talent on making too many good childrens' films, and in the end the magic of experiencing those few true masterpieces (E.T., The Lost Boys, The Goonies) for the first time disappears.

But besides the above wishful thinking, I can't really think of anything. The good movies are ofttimes overlooked for the temporarily-entertaining; I'd call The Ice Storm a terrific film, worthy of "classichood" in thirty years, but how many people even know of this film? I rather enjoyed it, so I bring it up often, and have yet to encounter anybody familiar with it. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is already basically considered a classic, so I shan't bother going on about those, but I shall mention in passing a few other recent films which I truly enjoyed and which I believe may have the merits for "classic" status:
The Squid and the Whale
Into the Wild
Antichrist - I can see it now: "The Unspoken Classic"
The Tree of Life - still haven't seen this one, but I anticipate a masterpiece.

I kind of hope Super 8 will be a classic in the same way The Goonies is a classic. Unfortunately, the times have changed. They focus too much talent on making too many good childrens' films, and in the end the magic of experiencing those few true masterpieces (E.T., The Lost Boys, The Goonies) for the first time disappears.
The money films are childrens films these days. That's why. They don't like to 'risk' making films for adults. Kids'll watch anything and have money to spend. Tell them it's going to be great, hop them up on sugar and you're good to go.

But besides the above wishful thinking, I can't really think of anything. The good movies are ofttimes overlooked for the temporarily-entertaining; I'd call The Ice Storm a terrific film, worthy of "classichood" in thirty years, but how many people even know of this film? I rather enjoyed it, so I bring it up often, and have yet to encounter anybody familiar with it.
I loved this film. I was fan of Ang Lee after Eat, Drink, Man, Woman and then Sense & Sensibility, so I was really looking forward to The Ice Storm. Hell, even Sigourney Weaver wasn't enough to put me off watching it. Love it. Own it and I don't think I'm the only one on this site, either. However, Hitch said the last 10 years, so The Ice Storm doesn't qualify.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Saving Private Ryan
Gladiator
LOTR

have to agree with Kitsch on Into the wild

Technically the first 2 don't fit with the 10 year thing but i'm gonna post them anyways.

Departed
Social Network
Unforgiven
Inception
Shawshank Redemption
Unforgiven is nearly 20 years old now and is not considered a classic, great movie tho.

Funny how nobody seems able to keep within the previous 10 year limit. Unforgiven is 19 years old; Shawshank Redemption is 17; Saving Private Ryan is 113 - even my own The Ice Storm is 14.

I disagree with Mr. Pink's choices. They're well-loved movies now, but they're pure entertainment. Kill Bill ain't some The Seventh Seal or Casablanca - unfortunately, few movies today are.

Would it kill you people to explain why you think the films will be classics instead of just listing them?

Anyway, I think a lot of you are forgetting what an actual classic film is like. Classic films almost always have a level of universality to them. Look at Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Unforgiven, and The Shawshank Redemption. Those films appeal to a very wide audience, yet you all seem to be listing niche films or films that appeal to a far more hardcore film fan base.

That said, I'd say Kill Bill, Sin City, The Squid and the Whale, Into the Wild, Anti-Christ and The Tree of Life don't quite qualify because they are far too niche audience films. I agree that The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is already considered a classic, so it's a given. I also think the argument could be made for Inception and I'd add Batman Begins and The Dark Knight to this list because they showed us what a comic book based film could really be.

The first film that popped into my head on this topic was Children of Men. Now, while it's a bit depressing and intense, I've never met anyone who said it's a "bad" film. Even people like my wife who watched it one time and said she never wants to see it again because it's too sad say that it's a very well made film.

I'm sure if I really put my mind to it I could come up with one or two more. There's been a few listed already but they don't fit the ten year time frame (Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator).

Welcome to the human race...
Anyway, I think a lot of you are forgetting what an actual classic film is like. Classic films almost always have a level of universality to them. Look at Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Unforgiven, and The Shawshank Redemption. Those films appeal to a very wide audience, yet you all seem to be listing niche films or films that appeal to a far more hardcore film fan base.

That said, I'd say Kill Bill, Sin City, The Squid and the Whale, Into the Wild, Anti-Christ and The Tree of Life don't quite qualify because they are far too niche audience films.
They have a term for classics that appeal to niche audiences - "cult classics".

They have a term for classics that appeal to niche audiences - "cult classics".
We need that thread. Seriously.

OMG! I forgot Social Network for worst movie ever. Fell asleep 4 times before giving up, something eventually happens in that movie right? This is actually hard because there were plenty of good movies, but not a whole lot that will be considered as "Classics"

I completely agree with
Shawshank Redemption, but if I'm correct that came out in the 90s, if we're bringing up the 90s we have to mention Fight Club.

But since we're talking about only the ones that came out in the past 10 year, the ones I can think of would be
The Hang Over
Pirates of the Caribbean (already has a cult like following)
Kill Bill

that's what she said...
I think the Harry Potter movies will remain a classic series. Lord of the Rings as well.
I agree with MSHax that Pirates of the Caribbean is a classic too. I mean, that first movie came out years ago and being Captian Jack Sparrow is still a VERY popular choice in Halloween costumes and people just LOVE it.

I would say Band of Brothers, if miniseries films count.

The first film that popped into my head on this topic was Children of Men. Now, while it's a bit depressing and intense, I've never met anyone who said it's a "bad" film. Even people like my wife who watched it one time and said she never wants to see it again because it's too sad say that it's a very well made film.
Howdy, I'm Kitsch.

I'm sure if I really put my mind to it I could come up with one or two more. There's been a few listed already but they don't fit the ten year time frame (Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator).
My main problem with Saving Private Ryan was that the film's entire premise was downright stupid. Risking mens' lives to keep a woman from becoming childless, that's just plain stupid.

I think the Harry Potter movies will remain a classic series. Lord of the Rings as well.
I didn't know anybody thought of Harry Potter as a classic.

I agree with MSHax that Pirates of the Caribbean is a classic too. I mean, that first movie came out years ago and being Captian Jack Sparrow is still a VERY popular choice in Halloween costumes and people just LOVE it.
I don't think high number of costumes sold = classic. I've never seen a kid walking around wearing a Bogie mask and trench coat!