Movie Tab II

Tools    

I've never seen it, but I thought Out of Sight was well-regarded. I mean, it's Soderbergh, and it has 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Out of Sight

I can sit through made for tv production values and a goofy soundtrack. I will watch a movie about a talking cat, with long meandering shots of nothing. I will watch Ashton Kutcher pretend he's Steve Jobs. I will watch Foodfight, ladies and gentlemen. Foodfight. But I will not watch Jennifer Lopez attempt to act. I refuse.
That's your problem, because the film is awesome.

Out of Sight is fantastic, no matter what one thinks of JLo. Clooney, Rhames, Zahn, Cheadle, Albert Brooks, Luis Guzmán, Dennis Farina, Catherine Keener, great cameos by Michael Keaton and Sam Jackson, wonderfully adapted from the Elmore Leonard by Scott Frank, all under the guidance of Soderbergh....and you're gonna reject it out of hand because of Jennifer Lopez's presence? Your loss. Bigtime.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ofs.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	14521  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In addition to my movie habit I have added the daunting task of watching West Wing for the television countdown. I am through season one already. It is everything you would expect from Sorkin. Great characters with intriguing story lines and fun snappy dialogue. Of course with that you have to take the over sentimentality, plot contrivances, and general preachiness. I am willing to go along for the ride. I like the tone of his stuff quite a bit and the writing a lot. Judging by season 1 it will be somewhere between 15 and 20 on my list.

The Insider:
Really wanted to re-watch this one before sending in my list for the 3rd HOF. Holds up very well as an excellent procedural. Great performances by both Pacino and Crowe.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2:
My super-hero overload continues. Not much new to say. Looks good but I just don't care about any of the characters.

3 Women:
Liked it didn't love it. This is how you do movie as dream in my opinion. Despite having a messy narrative the characters still felt real and had strong motivations.

Control:
Not as engaging as The American but still pretty darn compelling. A story I knew nothing about so I am sure that helped.

Labor Day:
What a mess of a movie. Love has never been so uninviting. Brolin and Winslet make it worth any rating at all.

Howl's Moving Castle:
My time with Miyazaki continues. Seems like the more disjointed the narrative the more I like his movies. As usual the protagonists were well drawn. The visuals were my favorite from any of his movies I have seen thus far.

Shawshank Redemption:
Did a fun commentary with rauldc. This movie will never be anything less than perfection.

Seven Year Itch:
Monroe and an engaging story line made this one pretty good. I wish it had a different lead actor.

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes:
Really wanted to re-watch this one before the new one comes out to see how well it holds up. It is still a really solid movie. Whenever I think I will never like a blockbuster again I watch something that shows me I can like these films just as much when they are done right.

The Double

(Richard Ayoade, 2014)
-

Wake in Fright

(Ted Kotcheff, 1971)
-

Fantastic Planet

(René Laloux, 1973)

A Woman Under the Influence

(John Cassavetes, 1974)

Superman: The Movie

(Richard Donner, 1978)

The Spirit of the Beehive

(Víctor Erice, 1973)

Finished here. It's been fun.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
+
A group of girls at a picnic with their schoolmates vanish without a trace.

That's the premise of this cinematic enigma. A mystery which might never hold an answer. Picnic at Hanging Rock is a very dreamlike film, it hypnotizes you and pulls you into this dream state. It holds you in a trance, and it really gets under your skin. My rating of this might be a bit low, but I am definitely going to rewatch it eventually. I am pretty much obliged too, as this is a film you have to witness a few times. An unsolvable riddle I guess I can call it. But I can't help but try to find meaning. With a rewatch this might make even make my 70's list.

Sullivan's Travels

I found this film to be surprisingly superficial and shallow. A rich movie producer wants to get in touch with his fellow man, so he decides to become poor for a bit so he can be more in touch with the "common people". It's such a gag-inducing premise in my eyes, but I suppose if it was handled well it could really work.This is essentially "First world problems":The Movie. I was rolling my eyes throughout most of the runtime, and only towards the end did the film start to become engaging. But then it relapses, get's a typical Happy resolution and then ends. I suppose the photography is impressive and I can't fault the performances, but this is not a film I feel should sit comfortable in the AFI Top 100.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
+
A really-well done blockbuster. I probably wouldn't have viewed this film but the sequel coming later this year looks rather promising, so I thought I might as well give this a shot. This is definitely nothing extremely original, but it's well-crafted and engrossing entertainment. I found the CGI and visual effects stellar. Pretty excited for the sequel now.

Pierrot Le Fou

I commend Godard's playful tinkering of cinematic conventions and the film's gorgeous color palette, but this just doesn't work for me. I suppose Godard is an acquired cinematic taste, so maybe that's the reason. I despised the film's two leads and I couldn't care less about what happens to them. I didn't find the film all that interesting either, I've just seen the couple on the run premise way too many times to care.

Night of the Living Dead

The original zombie flick holds up remarkable well. Big fan of Romero's Dawn of the Dead, so glad this one was great as well. Loved the film's final 30 minutes, tense and very suspenseful. Really enjoyed this one.

The African Queen

A warmly entertaining classic Hollywood romance. Great chemistry between the two leads and a beautiful exotic backdrop. I don't think it's great by any means, but it's very enjoyable.

Skepsis: Nice layout there, smart use of the headings with images Interesting films too, gonna try and watch as many of those 70s ones as I can too.

Lucas: A shame Godard continues to have a bad time around here, and I think Pierott Le Fou is great. I think the two leads are great, Belmondo and Karina are just too cool

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Gattaca- 5.5/10

Just not really my cup of tea. I was wondering why nobody had really mentioned this among the 1990s countdown thread, and well, now it is evident. Just simply not very good. The one positive was Uma Thurman who I thought acted pretty well in it. I need more action in a Sci-Fi film.
And you were questioning me about Purple Rose of Cairo? To paraphrase your comment in my movie musings thread - Gattaca a 5.5/10?!!!!! You're nuts. I think it's a great, high quality little film. And you better be careful about throwing around such insults. It's a favourite film of Yoda's so you might find yourself out on your ass!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I thought I would like it too. But I didn't. It's better than Cries and Whispers though. ok that's my last C&W joke.

The main reason I think I didn't like it other than having limited action for me was the performance of Ethan Hawke. I can't pinpoint it but it just wasn't convincing enough for me. I'll watch Gattaca at some point in the future and maybe my opinion will change. I doubt it though.

A Woman Under the Influence (1974)

The Wrestler (2008)

Man on Wire (2008)

La Haine (1995)

The Kid (1921)

Planet of the Apes (1968)

RoboCop (2014)

Some random statements I'd like to make after the last few posts in this topic:

1) Science-Fiction doesn't need action to be good! My favorite things about Sci-Fi are the futuristic worlds that are created, the interesting ideas good Sci-Fi films can provoke, the refreshing light they can shine on certain themes by using the 'perspective of the future' and of course the atmosphere. I tend to not like Sci-Fi films that are too action-based actually, because the possibilities of the Sci-Fi genre are often (not always) wasted in that kind of films, in my opinion.

2) I like all the good ratings/reviews The Double is receiving from MoFos! Is Richard Ayoade quietly becoming a new MoFo favorite?

3) I see Skepsis is on a roll and is watching all kinds of great '70s films. It's time for me to do the same thing! I have a wide variation of VERY interesting '70s films ready to watch.

4) It's a shame you didn't enjoy Sullivan's Travels, Lucas. It's a smartly constructed, comical, heartwarming classic in my book.

5) Seanc, if you haven't seen Spirited Away, you should definitely watch that one! I think that might become your favorite Miyazaki film if you like his films with more "disjointed" narratives better!

6)
Shawshank Redemption:
Did a fun commentary with rauldc. This movie will never be anything less than perfection.
"When the warden comes into the cell the morning after the escape, the poster covering the hole is fastened down on all four corners - impossible to do after squeezing into that small hole." [On the DVD commentary, the director confirms that this was a movie "cheat".]