The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
A new study suggests that a person is wrong on this earth every 1.8 seconds. That man is Honeykid...

I'm not a fan of Wes Anderson's quirky style but I thought it worked great for this kind of movie. I had Mr. Foxy at #9.

My list-

3. Rango
4. How to Train Your Dragon
5. Persepolis
7. Animal Farm
8. Wreck-It Ralph
9. Fantastic Mr. Fox
10. Waltz with Bashir
11. The Plague Dogs
13. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
14. Mary and Max
16. The Wind Rises
17. Pinocchio
18. Charlotte's Web
19. Kung Fu Panda
20. A Town Called Panic
21. Fantastic Planet
24. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Near miss)
25. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Quite rightly, Seds, it's terrible.
Man oh man oh man. You just make my challenge to do a commentary with you this year my toughest challenge of the year if you can't appreciate a film like this. You are such a negative Nancy.

Fantastic Mr. Fox did NOT make my list, so you can blame me if it was close to a couple of the other upcoming films for not including it. I submitted a ballot really early because I figured I wouldn't see anything that would be able to jump onto my list. I was wrong. I blind-bought Fantastic Mr. Fox and it easily would have made my list had I seen it in time. It's quirky style and dialogue is awesome, and the visuals are just astounding. Probably would have made my top 10, surely top 15. This is the one I was disappointed Miss Vicky wouldn't let me switch my ballot for, but thems the rules.

This film actually makes me want to explore more Anderson. Prior to it I've only seen Tenenbaums which was rather bland to me.

My review from this film on this site dates back to the period of my awful early reviews (not that I'm that good at it now) with all those images at the end, but the enthusiasm I had back then for Fantastic Mr. Fox and Wes Anderson for that matter hasn't changed a bit! I still love this film and I still love the "style" I was referring to back when I watched it for the first time. It's a vibrant and oddball retelling of a classic story and there's nothing quite like it, in my opinion.

I had Fantastic Mr. Fox at number 7!

I lurve Fantastic Mr. Fox. I had it up as my number two overall pick. You haters can all go cuss yourselves. Cuss yourselves right in the cuss. It is such a perfect melding of Roald Dahl's source material and Wes Anderson's Wes Andersoniness, with his eye for detail and those terrific tangents (the Whack Bat rules are phenomenal), those music cues, and all cloaked in his trademark optimistic melancholy. The voices are all perfectly cast, especially Clooney as the cocky title character, the animation is throwback yet still has a modern sensibility, and it's just wonderful, all around. I saw it three times in the theater, and I will watch it forever and ever at home.

That makes all but six of mine...

1. Waltz with Bashir (#26)
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox (#17)
3. seems very unlikely, at this point
4. The Wrong Trousers (#35)
5. A Town Called Panic (#76)
6. The Lego Movie (#32)
7. The Illusionist (#60)
8. Alice in Wonderland (#33)
9. Persepolis (#28)
10 Akira (#29)
11. never had a chance
12. Coraline (#36)
13. Animal Farm (#89)
14. definitely coming
15. Yellow Submarine (#62)
16. probably in the top five
17. it won't show, now
18. should be on the list, but isn't
19. Watership Down (#75)
20. Waking Life (#41)
21. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (#25)
22. How to Train Your Dragon (#19)
23. Sleeping Beauty (#54)
24. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (#42)
25. Hugo the Hippo (DNP)

"I don't think he speaks English, or Latin."

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	wolf.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	19507  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Fantastic Mr.Fox was my number 2, i'm going to pretend that everyone was 100% positive on it's inclusion . Seriously though the only Animated films among my absolute favourite movies are Fox and my #1.Fantastic Mr.Fox already had a great chance at becoming a fav before i'd even seen it since it was my #1 book as a kid, still it's a testament to the films quality that i love it so much rather than being wrong about it like HK .

Such an excellent adaptation, perfect voice actors, soundtrack, animation style that is actually the main criticism of it but it works perfect for me. Also Wes added just enough of his own quirky style too make it his own without drowning out the original content.

Seen - 57/84
My List - 11/25

2.Fantastic Mr.Fox
6.Waltz With Bashir
7.Persepolis
8.Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
11.Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck
14.South Park: Bigger,Longer and Uncut
16.Allegro Non Tropppo - Bolero
19.Howls Moving Castle
20.Pinocchio
22.Watership Down
25.Millenium Actress

Fantastic Mr. Fox was my number two as well. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said or isn't obvious about the film.

1. Rango
  2. Fantastic Mr. Fox
  3. Waking Life
  4. ---
  5. My Neighbor Totoro
  6. The Wrong Trousers
  7. Chicken Run
  8. Tale of Tales
  9. ---
  10. ???
  11. ---
  12. ---
  13. Duck Amuck
  14. Fantastic Planet
  15. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
  16. ---
  17. ---
  18. The Iron Giant
  19. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  20. Alice in Wonderland
  21. Fantasia
  22. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  23. How to Train Your Dragon
  24. Tarzan
  25. ???

That's my list. There's no chance of the ones in red making it, I might as well reveal them but I won't just in case Miss Vicky doesn't want me too. The other ones should all make it fine.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I'm not a big Anderson fan at all - my favorite film of his, Moonrise Kingdom, was only just okay, while his others have left me pretty cold - but Fantastic Mr. Fox is something that I keep hearing bandied about as an amazing film, so much so that I probably should check it out despite my misgivings toward its director.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Fantastic Mr. Fox is another one of my
s that ,depending on the day, could be anywhere from 18-30. it fell outside of 25 that infamous day I left most of people's faves off. It was my fave Wes Anderson movie until I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel. As far as my actual list, it looks like this:

1. Coming!
2. Dumbo (#49)
3. Alice in Wonderland (#33)
4. Coming!
5. Bolero/Evolution/Allegro non Troppo (#77)
6. Coming!
7. Pinocchio (#24)
8. Fantasia (#20)
9. The Iron Giant (#22)
10. Coming!
11. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#30)
12. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#70)
13. Duck Amuck (#55)
14. A short not coming
15. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#110)
16. Vincent (1982) (#109)
17. Coming!
18. Coming!
19. The Little Mermaid (#37)
20. Coming!
21. Coming!
22. How to Train Your Dragon (#19)
23. Rango (#34)
24. Mary and Max. (#23)
25. Coming!

I lurve Fantastic Mr. Fox. I had it up as my number two overall pick. You haters can all go cuss yourselves. Cuss yourselves right in the cuss. It is such a perfect melding of Roald Dahl's source material and Wes Anderson's Wes Andersoniness, with his eye for detail and those terrific tangents (the Whack Bat rules are phenomenal), those music cues, and all cloaked in his trademark optimistic melancholy.
Now, I agree with all this and it's exactly why it doesn't work. The book was one of my absolute favourite books as a child and I knew Anderson would **** it up. The moment I saw the horrid, ugly models he was using I knew I was right and could only fear for the rest of it.

The voices are all perfectly cast, especially Clooney as the cocky title character, the animation is throwback yet still has a modern sensibility, and it's just wonderful, all around. I saw it three times in the theater, and I will watch it forever and ever at home.
The voice actors were great. Sadly their voice acting wasn't. It just didn't sound right at all.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Fantastic Mr. Fox was my #16 and probably should have been higher on my list.

Roald Dahl was pretty much my favourite author as a kid, since my older brothers had already accumulated all of his books during their formative years, leaving me with a treasure trove of wonders to delve into. Fantastic Mr. Fox (along with The BFG and Danny, the Champion of the World) was always one of my favourites, and Wes Anderson didn't disappoint with his quirky re-imagining of Roald Dahl's original text.

I'm quite surprised to see it this low to be honest.

Reviews

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I had Fantastic Mr. Fox at #9 I think. Unlike every other film on the list I threw that on there with just a single viewing of it. Had I gotten round to rewatching it before the list it may have gone slightly up or slightly down.

I just found it utterly charming. Here's the little bit I wrote about it a year or so ago -

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Wes Anderson

Starring
George Clooney
Meryl Streep
Jason Schwartzman
Bill Murray
Owen Wilson

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Delightful! Absolutely, positively delightful! I've fancied this one for a while and it certainly lived up to my hopes and expectations for it. The stop-motion approach that is employed for the film works tremendously well for the material, so much so that afterwards it's impossible to picture the film being made in any other fashion. Even in its unique form there is really no mistaking Fantastic Mr. Fox for anything other than a Wes Anderson film. By populating the world created by Dahl with his typically quirky characters and dysfunctional family dynamics he has perhaps made the most satisfying film of his career. It even looks like one of his films in terms of set design and colour schemes etc; he does a great job with the direction that makes the film a whole lot of fun. There are also some great touches on the soundtrack, particularly with some fun nods to Ennio Morricone's spaghetti westerns work. Given the story's roots it may seem like the obvious choice for the voice cast was to go very British, and casting the likes of George Clooney may seem strange. But it works perfectly, particularly in the case of Clooney. He's got a voice that is easy to picture belonging to some con man of the 1930s or 40s (in fact there's more than a touch of O Brother Where Art Thou going on here) and it fits perfectly for the daring thief that Mr Fox is. I'd say that Fantastic Mr. Fox has a chance of becoming a real favourite of mine. Excellent stuff

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Oh yeah and I just saw this on TeeFury earlier on. Given that How to Train Your Dragon and My Neighbour Totoro came back to back on our list it seemed rather fitting

Introducing My Neighbour Toothless -