The 1st MoFo Movie Hall of Fame: Round 1

Tools    

Which Movie Most Deserves a Spot in the Hall of Fame?
5.97%
4 votes
City Lights (1931)
8.96%
6 votes
Duck Soup (1933)
34.33%
23 votes
Psycho (1960)
0%
0 votes
The Producers (1968)
4.48%
3 votes
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
0%
0 votes
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
2.99%
2 votes
RoboCop (1987)
2.99%
2 votes
Farewell My Concubine (1993)
7.46%
5 votes
American History X (1998)
19.40%
13 votes
The Big Lebowski (1998)
4.48%
3 votes
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
8.96%
6 votes
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
67 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Agh, I've been slacking off Now that it's summer I need to plow through the other eight films here.

Let the night air cool you off
Agh, I've been slacking off Now that it's summer I need to plow through the other eight films here.
Ha! Keep us updated with your progress. When you get down to a couple left I'll set a deadline.

Spirited Away is a very smart and complex film, in my opinion.
His third most complex. Nausicaa and P. Mononoke are actually more complex, though less 'artsy' than Spirited Away. All his films are very smart and complex if compared to the average stuff hollywood puts out even Castle in the Sky, a less complex work, is smarter than the average blockbuster.

Anyway, I am surprised that Donnie Darko hated Nausicaa, while I didn't expect him to love it I also though that this movie is rather accessible for a broad spectrum of people (that was his intention), though a 16 year old male is pretty much the least adequate demographic for Miyazaki's work (as I explained earlier). As he grows up he will probably develop a different opinion of these movies.

I do recommend Porco Rosso to you, though. I think you might like that one a little more. It's quite different from Miyazaki's other work.
Indeed. Though it has Fio, which is a childlike character like Nausicaa. The difference is that it is not the main character. Princess Mononoke lacks any childlike character, though.

I watched every film on this Hall of Fame list now, by the way.
My question is:

Should I send in a top 12 or just a top 6?
I sent my top 12 so that it already gives your ordering for the next round. Let's say that some of the movies in your top 6 drop out, he can know what would be your new top 6 from the movies that didn't drop out of the competition.

Takahata's films are strictly adult. Only Yesterday and Grave of the Fireflies don't have any of the childlike elements present in all of Miyazaki's work, even Porco Rosso has some childlike elements and a sense of unshakable dignity that is often associated with family friendly material.

Takahata and Satoshi Kon are the anime directors that made movies for adults only.

Have you seen Princess Mononoke? I think it's something you could enjoy.
Princess Mononoke is Nausicaa without the cuteness and childlikeness of Nausicaa, the character, substituted for brutality. It's the only brutal Miyazaki movie and thus his favorite movie among fans of adult anime in the west.

^Ha, your avatar hates your username.

Have you seen Princess Mononoke? I think it's something you could enjoy.
No I Haven't. I saw the trailer on the Spirited Away DVD, and it looked awful.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Judging a movie by trailer is like judging a girl's looks by it's back.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
this looks like fun guys. The thing I like best is that you've given lots of time for people to see all the films involved. If this happens again, I'd love to be a part of it.

The English language trailer of P.M. is horrible. The Japanese trailer is much better:

I think I will nominate Ponyo or My Neighbor Totoro for the next round of the Mofo hall of fame. If Donnie though Nausicaa was childish, what he will think of those - that are Miyazaki's actual 100% children's movies? I think he will hate the cuteness of these movies so much that he will have a stroke watching any one of these.

Japanese culture appear to me to be more childlike than US culture, explaining why an American might view Nausicaa as a movie for people under 8, even though it was explicitly made for people much older than that:

Don't forget this, guys!

@Guaporense: I would like you to send in a more obscure anime film that I haven't seen yet, but I guess that's not really the point of a Hall of Fame.

I think My Neighbor Totoro has its adult elements, by the way. It's probably my second favorite Miyazaki film. It also had that magical feeling that I also felt with Spirited Away. That kind of feeling I didn't really find in Howl's Moving Castle (for instance), although it's also very magical plotwise. I can't really put my finger on the exact reason, though. Somehow the two films I first mentioned had a much bigger effect on me.

Ponyo is indeed very much for children. I liked it. I'm still a (big) child myself!
Didn't have that magical feeling I talked about earlier, though.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I looked at his/her profile and their last post was in June, but he/she logged in the second of this month. My bet is that you probably aren't getting his/her votes.