Are these female lead remakes are getting out of hand now?

Tools    

After the all female remakes of Ghostbusters only broke even at the Box office, Hollywood thought that they would give it another go with Ocean's 8, and then that only broke even.

Now I read they planning on doing an all female lead Terminator movie, as well a new all female remake of The Expendables.

https://metro.co.uk/2016/07/12/sylve...-name-6001860/

But I feel like now after the first couple of failures, that enough is enough, and it feels like if they go ahead with these movies, that they are just trying too hard.

I feel no one really wants to see a female lead Terminator or an all female Expendables. I don't want to, and I asked all my male and female friends and they all said no.

I think that making an all female Expendables is loosing the target audience.

Cause that's like making an all male remake of Pitch Perfect and hoping viewers will have a huge interest in seeing that.

But what do you think, am I being too hard or cynical perhaps?
you mean to say political correctness is so powerful now that it does not care about the financial losses that may occur of politically correct films ?

has it reached a point where critics pan the movie just because it has too many males ?

i think future films will be made with quota system . only after the black quota , hispanic quota , gay quota , women's quota etc has been filled with actors then only will the straight white males get a role in films . how the once mighty straight white males have fallen !!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
you mean to say political correctness is so powerful now that it does not care about the financial losses that may occur of politically correct films ?
I mean to say that people do not want to see remakes of old things, but the filmmakers think that political correctness so powerful that that on it's own, will make anyone want to see a remake, when that is so not the case.

It's just part of Hollywood's slow process of creative putrefaction.

The hijacking of the artistic producers by the ideology of political correctness is just a symptom that Hollywood has nothing new to say: oh, we don't have any new ideas but lets just do the same movie from 30 years ago but now with lead female casts because it's "woke". Essentially, most of the people who work in Hollywood are now effectively brain dead as artists so their "new ideas" are just the old ideas recycled by forcing them into the contemporary "woke" ideology.

If you compare the state of Hollywood with other creative industries in the US like TV and videogames you can easily notice that TV and videogames are way less affected by this ideology because now they have more creative people working in there. I guess Hollywood has lost most of the young talented artistic people to other industries.

It looks more like a female remake of Fighting (2009), rather than Fight Club. In Fight Club they fight each other to get rid of their anxieties of the world. I would be more interested to see a female remake of that compared to The Expendables.

Ha, I was going to make a joke that I want to see an all women cast remake of The Fight Club. Guess what? They actually already made it! Who knew?

Female Fight Squad (2016)
I haven't seen this but it doesn't look anything like The Fight Club. Seems to be more like the old van Damme films and stuff like that - people are fighting in illegal competitions and evil people running them try to exploit them.

It looks more like a female remake of Fighting (2009), rather than Fight Club. In Fight Club they fight each other to get rid of their anxieties of the world. I would be more interested to see a female remake of that compared to The Expendables.
Yeah, a remake of Fight Club with a women cast, just might make some money. But who to cast? I'd cast Emily Blunt, she was pretty kick ass in Edge of Tomorrow.

Yeah Emily Blunt would be good. I see women fighting underground as more plausible though compared to an all women seal team like in The Expendables.

Actually if Hollywood is looking to have women in action movies more, I mentioned before how I felt the movie Set It Off was very good. Why not just remake that since it's an action thriller movie, with four lead women roles.

Id like to see a Fight club remake thats actually centered around the fight club.

I'd cast Emily Blunt, she was pretty kick ass in Edge of Tomorrow.
Emily always kicks ass .

Why assume that the change is intended solely to draw in new fans when it could just as easily be intended to keep existing fans from getting bored with a stagnating status quo? Maybe the fans who would quit the franchise completely over this change weren't big enough fans in the first place. Besides, it's been established the Doctor is part of an alien race that undergoes these sorts of changes all the time so it's not like it's ruining the show's internal logic by going through with it anyway.
There’s no claim that the change is “solely” to draw in a bigger fan base. The claim was the risk. Any change in any medium is bound to lose fans or gain them when something deviates from the paradigm. It’s the nature of the people. There is a risk. Time and again history is replete with examples where products, franchises etc. diminish due to some alteration from the known. New Coke in the 80’s comes to mind. This certainly is not always the case as the risky change was worth it to take the company or franchise to new heights e.g. Apple in the mid to late 90’s.
To further the Walking Dead example, many fans were done with the show after the start of season 7 causing the numbers to drop from there. There was an extreme deviation from what it started out as. Does that mean those who disapproved of the new direction after 6 complete seasons were not big fans anyway? Simply: Story presents “A.” Viewer becomes fan of “A.” Story slowly changes from “A” to “B” viewer is not a fan of the change or “B.” There are multiple factors, of course, for why fan base leaves or a show loses its popularity in which a never ending back and forth could ensue.

Star Wars isn't some divine text that came out of a vacuum.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

I've seen an episode of two but I'm sure I'd get the gist from its whole zombie apocalypse premise alone, which makes sense since that's the kind of kill-or-be-killed world where everyone has to be tough enough to survive. The question then becomes why this particular world is your go-to example when I could argue that it also applies to Star Wars, which literally takes place across an entire galaxy at war where its female characters have to be tough to survive (especially when characters like Rey or Rose have to grow up in unforgiving circumstances). Just because a series starts off with a certain ratio of gender representation doesn't mean it has to stay at that level forever because, as noted with Doctor Who, it's not automatically a good thing to stay the same (especially on a show that's already gone for 50 years).

Star Wars isn't some divine text that came out of a vacuum and exists completely apart from our reality. The original film was always a mixture of cultural influences, whether cinematic ones (samurai movies, Westerns, Flash Gordon) or real-life ones (the Vietnam War, Watergate) and its sense of internal politics has evolved over the years to accommodate real-world developments (as evidenced by the prequels' Bush-era political commentary or the neo-Nazi iconography of the First Order). Saying that "no one cared" about the lack of female characters is still rather presumptuous and the series' popularity with all genders doesn't mean that it is completely above criticism in this regard. If the increase in female characters "feels forced" in recent installments, it's only because previous installments set such a low bar (intentionally or not) that literally any increase is going to be noticed (especially when Last Jedi has more main female characters than the first six films put together and it's still only a handful).
It doesn’t require any presumption to say that, on a whole, no one cared. The popularity speaks for itself. Sure every movie is going to have its critics and naysayers and, of course, Star Wars is not above reproach. Yes, I realize that Star Wars was not delivered to George Lucas by divine inspiration. He obviously wrote a story in a world from which he was greatly influenced. But the point of this entire thread is, “Are these female lead remakes are getting out of hand now?” and Star Wars is undeniably being pushed in that direction with a feminist agenda admitted by Kathleen Kennedy.

I suppose it depends on how you define politics in relation to cinema as an art form and how much they are connected to a film's overall quality. I daresay that saying "more people would think this film is bad if it weren't for the politics" doesn't work if you consider that said politics might actually be part of what makes the film good (or at the very least better than it would be otherwise). Hell, if you removed any trace of feminism from Aliens and Fury Road then they'd certainly be a lot worse too - sure, they'd be technically decent, but would they still be the classics we know and love? Of course not.

Perhaps some misunderstanding of my post as you repeating one of the points I was trying to make. I'd agree the politics really are integral to those films and they'd be lesser cinema without them.

My point was that I think theres a divide between that and a more cynical style of film making that I'd say has arisen recently were tokenism and poorly realised politics are used as a shield to criticism. You look at thenegative reaction to The last Jedi which was very quickly pushed as being down to a "toxic fanbase" rife with bigotry.

I mean yes doubtless some of the reaction came from such people but I would say it made up a relatively small percentage of the criticism. Indeed I would argue that actually this style of film making depends on baiting bigotry in order to politicise otherwise quite empty cinema. A situation like Kelly Tran being abused online for me whilst obviously reprehensible behaviour was also something I think she was set up to receive by the studio.

I mean to be fair I don't think a film with a female lead automatically needs to make any point about feminism to justify itself, between those two Starwars sequels I think you had the very creditable and far less cynical Rogue One for example.

But aren't white men evil?
Huh?

I'd cast Emily Blunt, she was pretty kick ass in Edge of Tomorrow.
Dreadful movie, IMO, but she was surprisingly (to me) terrific in Sicario.

Because OP wonders why these movies keep getting made if moviegoers (supposedly) don't want to watch them.

They are being made because Hollywood has an agenda.

It is the exact same reason that they keep making crappy anti-war movies which continue to bomb like Lions for Lambs; Hollywood quite often uses its influence on impressionable young minds in order to push its Leftist propaganda.