31st Hall of Fame

Tools    

Sons of the Desert

I first watched this for the 30's countdown and it's still the only thing I've seen from Laurel and Hardy. I typically don't watch comedy like this anymore, but it reminded me of when I used to watch The Three Stooges. Meaning because of its shorter length, it felt like I was watching television. I'm not sure why I never felt that way with Chaplin or Keaton. Looking back at my old thoughts, it seems I liked it this time about the same as I did a few years ago. It's not my type of humor, but it's humorous enough, and it's amusing throughout. The whole thing about tricking wives is my favorite aspect since I can relate so much. I have nothing negative to say about it, but it's potential with me was always limited.

Now I’m just picturing Cricket telling his wife he’s going on a road trip and sneaking up to the attic with a phone to watch movies.

Now I’m just picturing Cricket telling his wife he’s going on a road trip and sneaking up to the attic with a phone to watch movies.
It's true. Now she tells me to go out but complains when I watch a movie.

46/81! Great job everyone

Once @Wyldesyde19 and @Siddon getting rolling then we will really be making steam.

I'm going to watch all of these films over the course of a week...I'm just waiting on my library to do their new purchasing update for Days of Heaven

Gone Baby Gone

I had seen this once back around 2008. I must've been fighting with my wife or drunk (both?) because it didn't leave an impression on me and I remembered nothing about it. I've wanted to watch it again for a long time so I was ecstatic when it was nominated.

I've said many times that I get extra juiced for Boston set films, and it's especially true for crime films like The Town, The Departed, and Mystic River. Gone Baby Gone does not take place in the nicest locations as Dorchester, Chelsea, Everett, and the bar Murphy's Law are all not the greatest places to spend time. However, it is all done in a very authentic manner. I've been in a brawl at Murphy's Law and I lived in Everett for a few years. This movie has the type of people I'm very familiar with.

I loved this right from the start and it was everything about it. It's a great crime film with all the right performances. It's got tension and surprises, and a moral dilemma which is something that most great crime films do not have. It was just icing on the cake. A new favorite that should've been an old favorite.

I watched Herod's Law (1999) tonight. This political satire only partly worked for me. I'm not sure if it is because I'm not a political expert or political enthusiast, but parts of it fall flat for me. It didn't make much of an impact on me. The humour was somewhat hit or miss and I didn't really find it funny. Some parts were slightly amusing though. Performances were decent. There were some interesting moments, but I didn't find the story all that compelling or engaging. I can see why some people might get a lot out of this, but it didn't do much for me. The film felt overly long to me. Certainly not a bad film, but not one that I actively enjoyed. (Sorry )

A Hero (Farhadi 2021)

A good watch, I was invested in the movie's story and liked the actors and sets. It's a well made movie, expertly and seamlessly directed with spot on casting. Everything about the production is top notch. I'd give this a 7 out of 10.

With that out of the way, A Hero offered nothing new for me as I've seen Farhadi do the same type of movie before. This is the third film of his I've seen, also (A Separation & About Elly) and they all follow the same pattern. I don't know if he's ever branched out with his other films but the 'unraveling of events from different people's view points & actions' is getting old. I know people say Woody Allen in his last few films keeps repeating the same old things and if Allen and Farhadi want to keep making the same stuff then that's their business. It's my business to say, 'do something fresh next time'.

I watched A Hero (2021) tonight. I've seen 3 other films directed by Asghar Farhadi (The Salesman, A Separation, and About Elly). All three of those films I rated an 8/10. Although I don't think A Hero is as good as the other ones I've seen, it is still a well made film. I thought the performances were effective and believable. The screenplay, written by Farhadi, works fairly well. I did feel that the film was missing a little something for it to really impress me. The story didn't quite have the impact that it should have and I wasn't always engaged by it. It dragged a little at times and felt longer than its runtime. It was fine, but I doubt I would ever rewatch it.

I watched The Duellists (1977) today. Directed by Ridley Scott, the film stars Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel as duelling rivals. I like both lead actors and I thought their performances were fine, although not exceptional. I thought the cinematography was nicely done. This is a good looking film. The costumes are pretty nifty too. I didn't find the story very interesting though. Honestly, I felt parts of it were somewhat boring. Some good moments, along with the cinematography and performances, help to keep things moving. I've seen at least 17 of Ridley Scott's films and for me this one would rank in the bottom quarter of his filmography.

I rewatched my nomination tonight, the comedy classic, Sons of The Desert (1933). I have this on dvd as part of the Laurel and Hardy Essential comedy collection box set. (It's a great 10 disc set with over 32 hours of material, including all of the sound shorts — 40, made between 1929 and 1935, as well as the feature-length “Pardon Us” (1931), “Pack Up Your Troubles” (1932), “Sons of the Desert” (1933), “The Bohemian Girl” (1936), “Our Relations” (1936), “Way Out West” (1937), “Swiss Miss” (1938), “Block-Heads” (1938), “A Chump at Oxford” (1940) and “Saps at Sea” (1940). Plus there are special features including commentaries and a tribute to the duo. I recommend it to fans of classic comedy.) I really enjoy this film. This type of comedy works for me and I laughed quite a bit at the antics of Laurel and Hardy. Their performances are a lot of fun and they had wonderful chemistry together. I liked the wives performances too. The screenplay is delightful, with many funny lines and amusing moments. The direction by William A. Seiter, a really underrated and sadly mostly forgotten director, is pitch perfect for the material. Sons of the Desert is such a fun romp and a delightful blast. I know not everyone digs this type of comedy as much as I do, but this is one of my all time favourite classic comedies.

Sons of The Desert (1933)..... I know not everyone digs this type of comedy as much as I do, but this is one of my all time favourite classic comedies.
I don't love it as much as you do but I did enjoy watching it and laughed too! A neat nom.

I don't love it as much as you do but I did enjoy watching it and laughed too! A neat nom.
Glad you enjoyed it. I think for the next hall, I might nominate a film noir

Hell yeah! Featuring Laurel and Hardy right
I don't think any of their films qualify as noir, but a couple of their films are tagged as war and would be eligible for the upcoming war countdown. Will a Laurel and Hardy film make the war countdown?

I don't think any of their films qualify as noir, but a couple of their films are tagged as war and would be eligible for the upcoming war countdown. Will a Laurel and Hardy film make the war countdown?
What did you think of the recent Laurel and Hardy bio pic? I thought it was pretty good myself.

What did you think of the recent Laurel and Hardy bio pic? I thought it was pretty good myself.
Stan & Ollie? I thought it was excellent and rated it