Are Scream Queens Still Being Made Today?

Tools    

The trick is not minding
So, if I told you that my favorite food was Italian, and then you asked me to name my 10 all-time favorite dishes (of any type of food), wouldn't you kind of assume that most of my picks would be Italian?

I mean no offense, you're probably a nice dude and you can probably talk about a number of different movies, but when it comes to horror you don't seem to be on an obsessive wavelength like myself and you don't understand things like - Jamie Lee Curtis isn't the horror icon you think she is. Her being a horror icon is the mainstream public perception, but it's very uncommon in my circle like-minded horror fans. I don't mean to bust you, or call you out, but you kind of asked for it.

Have you ever considered the fact that people who don't live in America might not appreciate Jamie Lee Curtis' horror icon status like you do? That her performances might seem very bland and repetitive, to outright money grubbing. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of The Fog, but Adrienne Barbeau is 10 times the scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis is.

*Mic drop*
None of this proves anything. And you certainly haven’t “called me out”. Whatever that means. Also…mic drop? Really?? Do you think you proved something here?

Let me begin by stating, despite listing horror as among my favorites, I am not, nor never have, called myself some sort of “expert”, which seems to be what you’re taking issue with here I guess?
Although I am well versed in it. I mean…very well versed in it. Certainly don’t need to prove this to you, however.

Have you considered she might be an Horror Icon despite what you believe? Certainly maybe not as iconic as Barbara Steele, I’d say but up there despite whatever criteria one wants to conjure up to fit whatever definition that one tosses out there.

I’m curious, however. How much horror have you watched from Italy, or Japan? Or South Korea? Germany? Indonesia? England’s Hammer Horror? How well versed are you in those?
I’m still wading though many of these myself, but as I’ve already said, I’m not necessarily an expert.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I originally clicked on this thread because I was legitimately interested in other people's opinion on the subject. I do believe Mia Goth, Jenna Ortega, and Anya Taylor-Joy are the frontrunners for modern horror Scream Queens.

Obviously, I believe that quality should outweigh quantity by any measurement, but I also find myself wondering whether ones' contribution can be quantitative enough that it substantiates into earning the title of "Scream Queen".

For example, I don't know if I have seen a film from Danielle Harris that I consider to be a truly great film. But, she was in Halloween 4 (which I considered a slightly above-average slasher film), Halloween 5, and both Halloween remakes (for which she admittedly had smaller parts).

She was the main-protagonist for Hatchet 2 and Hatchet 3. Other than that, she has had main-roles / supporting roles in about a dozen or so other indie horror films (largely varying in quality).

She has been in a lot of them, and even if they weren't good movies, I usually found her to be one of the stronger aspects of them.

I originally clicked on this thread because I was legitimately interested in other people's opinion on the subject. I do believe Mia Goth, Jenna Ortega, and Anya Taylor-Joy are the frontrunners for modern horror Scream Queens.

Obviously, I believe that quality should outweigh quantity by any measurement, but I also find myself wondering whether ones' contribution can be quantitative enough that it substantiates into earning the title of "Scream Queen".

For example, I don't know if I have seen a film from Danielle Harris that I consider to be a truly great film. But, she was in Halloween 4 (which I considered a slightly above-average slasher film), Halloween 5, and both Halloween remakes (for which she admittedly had smaller parts).

She was the main-protagonist for Hatchet 2 and Hatchet 3. Other than that, she has had main-roles / supporting roles in about a dozen or so other indie horror films (largely varying in quality).

She has been in a lot of them, and even if they weren't good movies, I usually found her to be one of the stronger aspects of them.

Jenna seems to have a groove that is more Jr. Horror with Wednesday and her upcoming billing in the Beetlejuice sequel. Maybe she's more of a "Booh Princess" than a "Scream Queen."

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Jenna seems to have a groove that is more Jr. Horror with Wednesday and her upcoming billing in the Beetlejuice sequel. Maybe she's more of a "Booh Princess" than a "Scream Queen."

That's true with Wednesday and Beetlejuice.

She has added a lot to her tally in a short time. It is easy to forget that besides X and the new Scream movies, she was also in The Babysitter: Killer Queen, had a small part in Insidious: Chapter 2, was in Studio 666, and a film called American Carnage (which I had neither seen nor heard of before now).

At 20 years old, she has a pretty good pace with them.

That's true with Wednesday and Beetlejuice.

She has added a lot to her tally in a short time. It is easy to forget that besides X and the new Scream movies, she was also in The Babysitter: Killer Queen, had a small part in Insidious: Chapter 2, was in Studio 666, and a film called American Carnage (which I had neither seen nor heard of before now).

At 20 years old, she has a pretty good pace with them.

Her career is off at quite a pace. I didn't really notice her until the world went agog over Wednesday. She's on track to be our new Winona.

It's not simple a matter of quantity, but quality. Halloween alone cements her status.
For sure. It's cinema history.

JLC was part of the first run of what we now call the modern "slasher films" - and while there may have been plenty of thrillers in-between there wasn't really a genre in between Psycho (1960) and Halloween (1978) as specifically "troped" as that which followed Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc..

And while we could give Jamie Lee's mom the honorary title of Scream Queen-Mother, she only got slashed & killed in one iconic movie and didn't keep coming back to scream some more like her daughter did.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Another Wednesday actress (the new animated movies), Chloe Grace Moretz is only six years older than Ortega and already feels like she has been around forever. In horror, she has had a handful of small roles, but also starred in the remakes Let Me In and Suspiria.

Allison Williams is an actress we've seen appear in horror a few times in recent years, with Get Out and M3gan (and a film called The Perfection I enjoyed a fair amount).

Samara Weaving has both Babysitter movies and Ready or Not to build off of.

Trying to think of more that may one day go onto be considered "Scream Queens".

I haven't read the whole thread because it seemed to go off-piste in a silly direction and I couldn't be bothered. However, for clarity; JLC definitely is a scream queen. Not agreeing with that is fine, but you're wrong. Secondly, a quick look at wiki (I know) says that Jenna Ortega and Melissa Barrera are the current (2020's) scream queens. I haven't watched their films, so I don't know. Just putting it out there for discussion.

There is no debate on whether or not Curtis is a Scream Queen. She was. It is what she was constantly referred as at the time she was making those films. It's a designation that preceded her for decades. She's in fact considered the original Scream Queen by many (this is easily debatable, but speaks to how ubiquitous the term is in regards to her)

The fact that anyone is having their expertise questioned over stating a pure fact is hilarious.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I haven't read the whole thread because it seemed to go off-piste in a silly direction and I couldn't be bothered. However, for clarity; JLC definitely is a scream queen. Not agreeing with that is fine, but you're wrong. Secondly, a quick look at wiki (I know) says that Jenna Ortega and Melissa Barrera are the current (2020's) scream queens. I haven't watched their films, so I don't know. Just putting it out there for discussion.
Melissa Barrera is, for some reason, the dark horse Scream Queen amongst everyone, it feels like. Which is a little funny because the catalyst of what makes Ortega a Scream Queen is that she is a supporting character in the Scream franchise (Scream 5 and 6). Yet, Melissa Barrera is the main-character of the Scream franchise now.

As far as horror though, Melissa is far less showcased than Jenna is. She has one other horror film, a film called Bed Rest that was released directly to Tubi (that I haven't seen).

Millie Bobby Brown and Sadie Sink are both names to look out for.

They appeared as main-characters in Stranger Things (which is a big feather in both their caps). Then, Mille Bobby Brown appears in the second Godzilla film (a monster movie, but I will still count it), and Sadie Sink appears in Fear Street (more conventional slasher fare).

Once Stranger Things is finished, both will have a lot more free time to pursue other things, be it horror or elsewhere.

Edit:

Oh, and I had forgotten one of the best contenders of the bunch (in my opinion), Maika Monroe!

Maybe this thread would've been better suited as "Are Scream Queens Still Being Made Today Under Specifically What I Consider To Be Scream Queens?".
I'm not sure how to change the thread title.

Sure. But this would not mean that your favorite dish of all time would necessarily be Italian.

So your circle = supreme court?

I'm not up on my scream queens, but I think you just made my list of drama queens.

It's not simple a matter of quantity, but quality. Halloween alone cements her status.

Is this a parody account?
You dang sure better believe that those first nine spots wouldn't exclude Italian.

Sure why not. Why not have some fun? Yeah, I am a supreme court of horror. This is a movie forum, right? What's with all the seriousness?

Explain to me why that's a bad thing on a movie forum...

Dude, that movie is so overrated. I'm fine with the mythology of Michael Myers but that first movie is so overrated and so cheesy.

Nope just a happy guy having fun.

None of this proves anything. And you certainly haven’t “called me out”. Whatever that means. Also…mic drop? Really?? Do you think you proved something here?

Let me begin by stating, despite listing horror as among my favorites, I am not, nor never have, called myself some sort of “expert”, which seems to be what you’re taking issue with here I guess?
Although I am well versed in it. I mean…very well versed in it. Certainly don’t need to prove this to you, however.

Have you considered she might be an Horror Icon despite what you believe? Certainly maybe not as iconic as Barbara Steele, I’d say but up there despite whatever criteria one wants to conjure up to fit whatever definition that one tosses out there.

I’m curious, however. How much horror have you watched from Italy, or Japan? Or South Korea? Germany? Indonesia? England’s Hammer Horror? How well versed are you in those?
I’m still wading though many of these myself, but as I’ve already said, I’m not necessarily an expert.
I do think I've proven something, here maybe not to you.

So you'd rather be well versed in something as opposed to say..I don't know, having passion for it?

Barbara and Jamie should never be mentioned in the same sentence - they're leagues apart.

You're curious about my credentials, are you? Let's just put it this way, horror is the only thing I watch, and I watch a lot. Have I seen everything? Not yet.

I think if Jenna and Mia continue doing horror for the rest of this decade, then I would consider them Scream Queens.

As for Anya... that ain't ever happening. Tell that BS to someone else. For crying out loud, I just saw that she was in a damn rom-com period piece called Emma.

The trick is not minding
I do think I've proven something, here maybe not to you.

So you'd rather be well versed in something as opposed to say..I don't know, having passion for it?

Barbara and Jamie should never be mentioned in the same sentence - they're leagues apart.

You're curious about my credentials, are you? Let's just put it this way, horror is the only thing I watch, and I watch a lot. Have I seen everything? Not yet.
You’ve proven nothing. Just passed some judgement without considering it’s merit.

Who says being well versed is lacking passion? I’m quite passionate about films as a whole. That includes horror.
You can have horrro if you want it, however. I’ll take the whole of cinema.
It’s like wading in the shallow end of the pool and not even trying to swim in the deep end.

Probably best to stay in that shallow end, in your case.

You’ve proven nothing. Just passed some judgement without considering it’s merit.

Who says being well versed is lacking passion? I’m quite passionate about films as a whole. That includes horror.
You can have horrro if you want it, however. I’ll take the whole of cinema.
It’s like wading in the shallow end of the pool and not even trying to swim in the deep end.

Probably best to stay in that shallow end, in your case.
Nope. I considered its merit.

Hey man, if you're happy spreading your "passion" thinly over the whole of Cinema, then more power to ya. Enjoy.

The trick is not minding
Nope. I considered its merit.

Hey man, if you're happy spreading your "passion" thinly over the whole of Cinema, then more power to ya. Enjoy.
Clearly you have no idea what you’re talking about. This was obvious the moment you dismissed JLC.
Anyways, we’re done here, so no need to continue.

Wildeside, if you knew anything about horror you'd know that horror is bigger and better than the rest genres combined.

*mic drop*