Anthony Bourdain Has Died

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I just saw on the news. Terribly sad.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
That was a shock to say the least. LOVED his travel shows.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
True - suicide sucks. Everything about it. I've had suicidal thoughts much of my life and I know that many of you have. Everybody take care of yourselves. and your loved ones.

R.I.P.

Shocking and unbelievable because of the how.
If it had been emphyzema or sciorosis, then it might be believable.

I don't want to be mean to these people or disrespectful, but what gets me is when they have young kids - Kate Spade had a 13 y.o. daughter and Anthony Bourdain had an 11 y.o. daughter.

Having been up and down the flagpole a few times myself, I find it hard to be compassionate toward people who commit suicide when they have someone depending on them. It's one thing to want to check out, but it's basically an act of base cruelty to do it when there is a child looking to you for protection, guidance and support.

As always, "...you need a license to buy a dog. You need a license to drive a car. Hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming ****** be a [parent]."
- Tod from Parenthood

People should need a license and extensive background check to have children.

@Captain Steel, I don’t disagree, but try to imagine the pain of someone who feels devoid of all hope & joy in their life.

This was a bizarre & horrible week for suicides. Queen Máxima of the Netherlands lost her sister in Argentina to suicide. And someone else who was in the news committed suicide, but I can’t remember who it was. ✝️

...what gets me is when they have young kids - Kate Spade had a 13 y.o. daughter and Anthony Bourdain had an 11 y.o. daughter.
Agreed. Kate and Anthony killed a part of their children too. Those kids will never be the same.

Welcome to the human race...
Shocking and unbelievable because of the how.
If it had been emphyzema or sciorosis, then it might be believable.

I don't want to be mean to these people or disrespectful, but what gets me is when they have young kids - Kate Spade had a 13 y.o. daughter and Anthony Bourdain had an 11 y.o. daughter.

Having been up and down the flagpole a few times myself, I find it hard to be compassionate toward people who commit suicide when they have someone depending on them. It's one thing to want to check out, but it's basically an act of base cruelty to do it when there is a child looking to you for protection, guidance and support.

As always, "...you need a license to buy a dog. You need a license to drive a car. Hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming ****** be a [parent]."
- Tod from Parenthood

People should need a license and extensive background check to have children.
Being suicidal is a mental illness and I don't see why you would ever want to blame people for succumbing to it any more than you'd blame people for dying of a physical illness. You don't see cancer survivors complaining about the people who did die of cancer.

Besides, the whole licence-to-have-children thing sounds more than a little eugenicist and would be missing the forest for the trees.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
His story about sitting in the cab, going to get pony is something I will always remember.

He has always been one of my biggest inspirations. A man that was accomplished enough, yet devoid of the pretentiousness that associates with most high-end operators.

He is resposible for the current state of food entertainment that people love so much. Before him, it was always someone behind a cutting board.

I hate how his life ended and the wreckage left behind. That pain is unimaginable for people that haven't experienced it.

Being suicidal is a mental illness and I don't see why you would ever want to blame people for succumbing to it any more than you'd blame people for dying of a physical illness. You don't see cancer survivors complaining about the people who did die of cancer.

Besides, the whole licence-to-have-children thing sounds more than a little eugenicist and would be missing the forest for the trees.
Not that I lack compassion, Iro, but the big difference is no one chooses to die of cancer, people who commit suicide made a cognitive choice. Unlike many cancer patients they had a world of options, but chose the one that's irreversible.

Yes, I am a bit eugenicistic, I've been calling for violent criminals to be rendered sterile as a standard part of the justice system for some time now - it's painless, it's humane (it's a great preventative measure to take for predators & child abusers) and it's a service that many people willingly pay for.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Suicide is not what should be compared to cancer.

Mental illness is what's being compared. Suicide is a way to end pain, whether that pain is caused by depression, cancer, or any other unbearable pain to the individual that I cannot even begin to comprehend.

I'm not condoning suicide, only that for some it may feel the only option to end ...something. Or even an action to CONTROL something that may otherwise feel completely OUT of control. Especially considering how much guilt and blame is already compounded for just the consideration. Or the lack of empathy to try to understand why someone (anyone, with any condition or not) would feel such an action is quite literally the last option available.

Welcome to the human race...
Not that I lack compassion, Iro, but the big difference is no one chooses to die of cancer, people who commit suicide made a cognitive choice. Unlike many cancer patients they had a world of options, but chose the one that's irreversible.

Yes, I am a bit eugenicistic, I've been calling for violent criminals to be rendered sterile as a standard part of the justice system for some time now - it's painless, it's humane (it's a great preventative measure to take for predators & child abusers) and it's a service that many people willingly pay for.
It's a choice in the same sense that one chooses to jump out of a burning building because they are more afraid of the drawn-out pain of burning to death than the swift end of falling to death. It's not something you can look at too rationally because it's something that is by its very nature irrational - as noted, this is a man who already had so much to live for and yet it still happened to him. Besides, you try telling someone whose father killed himself that what he did was "base cruelty" to them and see what kind of reaction you're likely to get - but again, this is not something to be looked at with cold rationality (nor is any kind of eugenics-based thinking because the question of where one draws the line is always going to be far too vague and the whole "they're criminals so they deserve it" approach is still open to misuse).

@Captain Steel

You have some logics there, but you still think that the suicidal people are capable of cognitive choice. How about them being in such a dark world inside their head that they can't think straight? How about them thinking that their children would fare better without them? (It would be devastated for a father/mother to think that). How about them being so lonely and cut off from the tribe that natural instinct drives them to the brink? The example that @Iroquois gave illustrate that.

Let's take another example, Kurt Cobain. When I read his suicidal note, it seems to me that he thought his little daughter would do better without him. That the music world would do better without him. It's such a sad thought.

This news of Anthony Bourdain's suicidal shocks me to the core, not only because I like him and his show, but also because of what must have gone through his head, and it seems that his friends have no idea of it. What a lonely world we live in.

It's a choice in the same sense that one chooses to jump out of a burning building because they are more afraid of the drawn-out pain of burning to death than the swift end of falling to death. It's not something you can look at too rationally because it's something that is by its very nature irrational - as noted, this is a man who already had so much to live for and yet it still happened to him. Besides, you try telling someone whose father killed himself that what he did was "base cruelty" to them and see what kind of reaction you're likely to get - but again, this is not something to be looked at with cold rationality (nor is any kind of eugenics-based thinking because the question of where one draws the line is always going to be far too vague and the whole "they're criminals so they deserve it" approach is still open to misuse).
I don't like the burning building analogy either. Yes, it may seem like that in the mind, but the difference in reality can't be compared - choosing between an imminent excruciatingly painful death or taking a leap is choosing the lesser of two evils when there literally are NO other options. Choosing suicide is choosing death when there are an infinite number or potential options that aren't the irreversible "solution" of death and all the devastation it will bring to the survivors.

I'm sure you're right about saying what I said to the relatives. It's natural to defend one's relatives and want to respect their memory after their gone - but don't think that the close relatives of a suicide don't think exactly what I said (especially children) - they feel abandoned, betrayed and violated, and they are left forever contemplating the selfishness of the act and the endless questioning as to if they were somehow or in part responsible or if their was something they could have done to prevent it.

I don't like the burning building analogy either. Yes, it may seem like that in the mind, but the difference in reality can't be compared - choosing between an imminent excruciatingly painful death or taking a leap is choosing the lesser of two evils when there literally are NO other options. Choosing suicide is choosing death when there are an infinite number or potential options that aren't the irreversible "solution" of death and all the devastation it will bring to the survivors.
You are coming to this (correct) conclusion because you are presumably of sound mind. The whole point is that people in this position are not able to see this clearly. The very thing they use to evaluate what you're saying is the thing that is broken in some way.

You are coming to this (correct) conclusion because you are presumably of sound mind. The whole point is that people in this position are not able to see this clearly. The very thing they use to evaluate what you're saying is the thing that is broken in some way.
Only at the moment. I've tried to express that I've been there. I know that it's different for everyone, but for me and many others, the only thing that kept us from the final step was the idea that there were people who still depended on us - and with what little was left of our cognizance, thinking about what our action would do to them.

And yes, they are broken inside, but not completely... if they can put up fronts for the public, or hide their pain, or manage their accounts, or work a job, or just eat, walk, and go to the bathroom, then a good part of the cognizance is still working and, given a little time for consideration, could grasp onto the same sense of responsibility to others that has pulled so many back from the brink.