What was the best movie you watched or rewatched in 2017?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Hitman's Bodyguard.

Do I think it's an Oscar winner? No.
Did it completely engross me for the entire time and make me want to skip home? You bet.

Sorry Iro. Be gentle with me

There were two films in particular (both first watches) that I truly passionately loved last year. These are the kind of films that can keep me happy for months just by thinking of them. Being reminded of them has a similar effect as taking a good-natured drug.

Walkabout (1971)

The Devils (1971)

Three honorable mentions that generated a very similar passion:

The Rules of the Game (1939)
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)

There were of course other films that I absolutely adored. My Top 15 First Watches of 2017 can be found here.

"Luck don't live out here."
No Country for Old Men. It wasn't my first time watching it. Hell, I've probably seen it close to 15 times by now. But I spent a lot of the year reading Cormac McCarthy's books, finishing with the book that has the same title as the film I just mentioned. And while the book is very, very similar to the film (it was originally written as a screenplay), it still made me appreciate the film even more.

Blade Runner 2049 was also a pretty great experience. I still think about the baseline test scene every couple of days.

There were two films in particular (both first watches) that I truly passionately loved last year. These are the kind of films that can keep me happy for months just by thinking of them. Being reminded of them has a similar effect as taking a good-natured drug.

Walkabout (1971)

The Devils (1971)

Both damn good movies.

The best "new/first viewing" movie I watched in 2017 was Beauty and the Beast. The best "overall" film was probably Show Me Love.
Forget the Disney live action, you should see the French live action...sssoooo much better.. this one is from 2014 but there is a 1946 French that is just as beautiful.

Welcome to the human race...
Hitman's Bodyguard.

Do I think it's an Oscar winner? No.
Did it completely engross me for the entire time and make me want to skip home? You bet.

Sorry Iro. Be gentle with me
My only question is why it was in your profile favourites for like at least a month before it came out.

My only question is why it was in your profile favourites for like at least a month before it came out.

Early one saturday morning I was the only person online and Yoda asked me to test the mobile app by posting my top 10. I dont have a top 10 so posted movies where I know one or some of the film makers. I dont even remember what's in my profile.

eta before you ask, no I'm not a shill. My bro worked on them.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

“I was cured, all right!”
The Leopard (1963) - Luchino Visconti

One of that films that you know will stay with you for a long, long time. It's incredible how so many themes are portrayed flawless. Every single scene or dialog in this film was beautiful.

There was also:
Cosmopolis (2012) - D. Cronenberg
Kagemusha (1980) - A. Kurosawa
The Life of Oharu (1952) - Kenji Mizoguchi
Tokyo Story (1953) - Yasujirō Ozu

it looks a lot but I watched 435 films (rewatches includes), so it isn't

skyfall, ive seen it 4 times now, daniel craig has just owned the james bond role.

if im a lunatic, the horror of it is that u are so wrong xd

if im a lunatic, the horror of it is that u are so wrong xd
It's a great gif. I can hear Shhhean saying it in that accent.

We can only pick ONE?

Guuuurl...

Well, it has a couple of close runners up, but I guess the honour has to go to:

Why? I suppose this is a good example of timing with me. I missed it when it came out and just never got around to it. I hadn't read anything about the film, and the only thing I knew about it was that it's a Jake G pic so I'd get around to it the next time I was in a Jake G mood (it happens - it's how I wound up with films like Bubble Boy in my collection. Charming movie you'd all probably hate, btw ).

So my Jake G mood hit and I put it on, and was not expecting that, oh my god! Not only was it was one of the creepiest performances I've ever seen (and it was just ****ing awesome), but it scratched my misanthropic itch. I can't remember when last I watched a film and immediately wanted to watch it again. And again. Actually, I do. Funny Games (original) did that to me.

I loved everything about it. The mood, the colour palette, lighting, the dark humour, and the way that just thinking about it just gave me goosebumps. Terrifying, yet strangely funny stuff.

And this is a directorial debut ? Jesus.

We can only pick ONE?

Guuuurl...

Well, it has a couple of close runners up, but I guess the honour has to go to:

Why? I suppose this is a good example of timing with me. I missed it when it came out and just never got around to it. I hadn't read anything about the film, and the only thing I knew about it was that it's a Jake G pic so I'd get around to it the next time I was in a Jake G mood (it happens - it's how I wound up with films like Bubble Boy in my collection. Charming movie you'd all probably hate, btw ).

So my Jake G mood hit and I put it on, and was not expecting that, oh my god! Not only was it was one of the creepiest performances I've ever seen (and it was just ****ing awesome), but it scratched my misanthropic itch. I can't remember when last I watched a film and immediately wanted to watch it again. And again. Actually, I do. Funny Games (original) did that to me.

I loved everything about it. The mood, the colour palette, lighting, the dark humour, and the way that just thinking about it just gave me goosebumps. Terrifying, yet strangely funny stuff.

And this is a directorial debut ? Jesus.
love his work

Same. A lot more than I realised. I know we did a sort of MoFo top actors thing a few months ago (****ed if I can find it, though), and I'm just hoping I included him when I hurriedly made up my list. I do those list things in far too much of a hurry for them to be too accurate.

If I left him out...