Star Wars: Rogue One (the first Star Wars Spin-off)

→ in
Tools    

I just asked my son how Luke Skywalker got to be Darth Vader and he facepalmed his way out of the room, LOL
I was thinking about that scene the other day where he goes into the hollow and hallucinates battling and killing Vader, whose severed head is then revealed as Luke's.

Star Wars was always political, these clowns are only just realising that it's political in a way that they hate.
It's political in a way that makes everyone miserable. opposed to Revenge of the Sith which aged well and now a ton of Repubs hate the Iraq war making Lucas look good.
Do we have to go through this political stuff again? I went through this crap once already when they tried to say Revenge of the Sith was about George W Bush. And George Lucas himself said that was dumb.

Two of the writers are Uber liberal and can't shut up on Twitter. Big deal. They work in Hollywood, this should be a shock to no one. I will judge the movie based on its own merits.

That being said I am more excited about episode eight then I am Rogue One which I am not all that excited about.
There is politics and there is identity idiocy.

A system of cells interlinked
It's political in a way that makes everyone miserable. opposed to Revenge of the Sith which aged well and now a ton of Repubs hate the Iraq war making Lucas look good.

There is politics and there is identity idiocy.
How does something that was shite to begin with, age well? While an argument can be made that Revenge of the Sith is not as bad as either Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, it's still a mess. Overwrought, silly, clunky... and that's just the beginning.

Rogue One is miles above any of the Lucas prequel trilogy, IMO.

Meanwhile, your absurd inference that Revenge of the Sith somehow swayed the political opinion of well...anyone, is directly out to lunch.

How does something that was shite to begin with, age well? While an argument can be made that Revenge of the Sith is not as bad as either Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, it's still a mess. Overwrought, silly, clunky... and that's just the beginning.

Meanwhile, your absurd inference that Revenge of the Sith somehow swayed the political opinion of well...anyone, is directly out to lunch.
Where did i say ROTS swayed the opinion of people. I just said it's a less divisive movie politically. When i think of **** movie i think of really ****** movies not mediocre ones.

A system of cells interlinked
Where did i say ROTS swayed the opinion of people. I just said it's a less divisive movie politically. When i think of **** movie i think of really ****** movies not mediocre ones.
I took this sentence to infer exactly that:

"[O]pposed to Revenge of the Sith which aged well and now a ton of Repubs hate the Iraq war making Lucas look good."

Perhaps you were just pointing out a coincidence instead of a direct correlation, but the sentence is vague enough to be read either way.

I took this sentence to infer exactly that:

"[O]pposed to Revenge of the Sith which aged well and now a ton of Repubs hate the Iraq war making Lucas look good."

Perhaps you were just pointing out a coincidence instead of a direct correlation, but the sentence is vague enough to be read either way.
It's a good coincidence. A coincidence that won't repeat itself for Disney. Also war an peace, huge issue, left and right all over the place on it. Newly born heavy handed identity politics is promoted by the left and only appeals to the left.

I thought the star wars were over, are they gonna make more movies ?

I havent seen it yet so havent read this article, but...

Rogue One editors reveal which scenes were part of reshoots

A picture has started to form of just how much work was done to reshape Rogue One into the movie that's in theaters today. Beware of spoilers ahead!

It's been well-documented already that a fairly significant number of reshoots were done by director Gareth Edwards (with an assist from Tony Gilroy) on Rogue One, but it has not been clear up to this point which specific scenes or even larger portions of the film were reworked before it was released in the final version that's now in theaters (although it seems a substantial amount of material that was glimpsed in the trailers never made it to the finish line).

However, thanks to an interview by Yahoo! UK with Rogue One editors John Gilroy and Colin Goudie, we've gotten a better idea of what was redone and why. Here's your second spoiler warning before we begin ...

It seems that one of the biggest areas in which reshoots took place was the beginning of the movie, where we meet most of our central characters. John Gilroy explained:

"The story was reconceptualised to some degree, there were scenes that were added at the beginning and fleshed out. We wanted to make more of the other characters, like Cassian’s character (Cassian Andor, the Rebel spy played by Diego Luna), and Bodhi’s character (Bodhi Rook, the defected Imperial pilot played by Riz Ahmed)...The scene with Cassian’s introduction with the spy, Bodhi traipsing through Jedha on his way to see Saw, these are things that were added. Also Jyn (Jyn Erso, the reluctant leader of the film, played by Felicity Jones), how we set her up and her escape from the transporter, that was all done to set up the story better."

A number of critics and viewers have pointed out that the movie's opening scenes, in which we meet the characters who will largely comprise the Rebel mission to steal the Death Star plans, seem very jumpy and scattered, so if what we got was the improved version, there must have been very little there to build on in the first place.

Goudie, who was on the movie since the start, points out that the prologue, in which we meet Jyn as a little girl, was always there. But originally the movie jumped right to her first meeting as an adult with the leaders of the Rebellion -- now we see her in prison and then getting broken out of it, thanks to the reshoots.

Meanwhile, Gilroy -- who joined the movie last summer, late in the game, but was brought on to help with integrating the reshoots -- confirmed that the movie's ending was also tweaked to a large degree:

"It changed quite a bit. The third act has a lot going on. You have like seven different action venues, the mechanics of the act changed quite a bit in terms of the characters, and I don’t want to go into too much detail about what had been there before, but it was different. We moved some of the things that our heroes did, they were different in the original than they were as it was conceived."

What was that original ending like? We'll never know, but since Felicity Jones was signed for two movies, it's quite possible that Jyn somehow survived in the original cut, where as it stands now everyone on the Death Star mission perishes. And if you think there's some longer cut of the film that delves any more deeply into any of this, here's Goudie to throw cold water on that idea:

"It was not much longer than the finished film. I think the first assembly was not far off actual release length. Maybe 10 minutes longer? I genuinely can’t remember because that was nearly a year ago now. There’s no mythical four hour cut, it doesn’t exist."

Goudie also mentioned that his initial working cut of the film used the same kind of "wipe" screen transitions that the traditional Star Wars movies use, but that those were dropped once the reshoots started coming in. And Gareth Edwards told Empire (via Slashfilm) that the first draft of the script had a classic opening crawl, but that was jettisoned too.

We may never know what the original Rogue One might have looked like, but clearly this was a film that was changing almost right up until it was pushed out the studio doors. Do you think the Rogue One we got was the best one possible, or would you wager that there is some other version out there that you might enjoy more?

http://www.blastr.com/2017-1-3/rogue...source=twitter

Hey there guys!

Finally (but not as my new years resolution) I ended up making a video review about Rogue One: A Star Wars Movie (duh). Anyway, I would like to know your oppinions, I did had a lot of fun making this video, currently working on another one. I want to improve, so any constructive feedback is welcomed! But hey, why are you still reading this, click on the video and let me know, what You thought about the movie in comments!

youtube.com/watch?v=1S_epfe_5ko

But for yall-non-youtube-watchers here is my full review on the movie:

I. Storyline
Without spoiling the story for everyone, this movie is to be set just before the first Star Wars movie – The New Hope. And after the last SW movie, we could call it – The First Hope? It is a first SW movie not focused around the Skywalker line – especially around Anakin Skywalker. And because of that fact, I have to be honest, I did went to the cinema with a little low expectations, because who are we kiddin’ – SW movie without Jedi’s?
But it is a Hope come true for the fan boys. The universe is expanded and we get to see new locations, and not just one or two, but in total 5 new worlds! Which in SW movie - is a lot. Say what you want, but THAT was exactly, what I most missed in TFA. The big, vast and never ending universe full of life!
It has its very own storyline, which I gladly appreciate, no special twists around who is whoes father, or sister, or brother or cousin, or grandpa … But what I must appreciate most, is that the screenwriter did play with some good rumours and implemented it into the story. It’s fun to watch and see some of the easter eggs become part of a story.
Overall, you can’t expect some thrilling ending, since we all KNOW what is going to happen in the universe later – so that’s not the main engine of this movie, but what about the second fact, that makes all the SW movies good, and that is effects?

II. Effects
George Lucas got a lot of butthurt around the third movie, the last SW movie he did, that he did over use CGI effects, and that the whole movie was shot in front of the green screen. It was a time when the father of visual effects believed, that the future was in filming the movies completly in CGI. Well, it didn’t turned out to be the right way. So, when SW was bought by Disney, they immedietly knew, that the new movies had to be done with practical effects aswell, and not just by visual.
And it is fabulous! Again they did it! For me there were even two or three more scenes with effects that surpassed TFA movie. It is clear that the possibilities are still great and the pro-ducers didn’t hesitate to take a gamble, and not just use those overused clichés. That’s what I LOVE about a great SW movie. That’s whats SW is all about. About those rumbling X-WINGS doing fly-bys in the rain, hearing in the distance the big dogs AT-AT’s walk and appear from the smokescreen éout of nowhere! Seeing the horryfing power of the Death Star (that’s what they call it). And oh my god, I can’t even speak for one of the last scene in the movie, but trust me, true fan boys will get a boner for month.

III. But – is it good?
As I stated before, it is a SW movie without any Jedi so you must take account in the fact, before judging. But I can tell you, that the Force is strong with the Rogue One squadron and after all, it exceeded my expatiations. The story is very well driven, and I didn’t find myself bored at any moment.
Maybe I expected something more climatic at the end for the main protagonist, some epic duel, because that ending part ended before it even started. But there is so much going on in that final stand battle, that I didn’t even noticed it.
We get to see some old familiar faces ofcourse such as General Talkin, which in 4D theatre you can smell him by his foul stench, Princess Leia, Good ol’ Organa but a ton of new characters. But the crown jewl of all of them is Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker. I’m purpously saying slash, because, just go and see it for yourself.
It is definitely a star wars movie worth of its name.

IV. Rating
WHAT IS IT? A HOPE! I mean – look. I will definetley go see it for the second time for two obvious reasons. First of all I love Star Wars, and this IS a great SW movie. Second, the effects - just for the chills you can experience only in the IMAX theatre, and until I can rebuild my own theatre, this is my only ticket to movie heaven.

So I would rate it 5/8, because 5/7 would be too much.

Sincerely yours
Mr. Johnny Roo ^^

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I thought it was boring as hell and generic, but my girlfriend liked it a lot.

We've gone on holiday by mistake

Couldn't have said it better on every point!

Anyone like me thinks that the void left by episode 7 was filled by this film, probably the best star wars film since return of the jedi.

Anyone like me thinks that the void left by episode 7 was filled by this film, probably the best star wars film since return of the jedi.
I personally liked ROTS a lot but this was definitely very good too, better than ROTJ imo.

Episode 7 is my #4 favorite Star Wars film, so it's no "void" for me at all, but Rogue One is my #3. Love the film.