Tyler1's Favourite 50 Films

→ in
Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Nice list so far. I'm especially liking Raging Bull & Dr Strangelove.

I think Lime considers Bob Le Flambeur to be a masterpiece.
I rewatched it the other night and it probably wouldn't make the list this time around, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great film.

And Tyler, those last four you posted are some pretty awesome flicks.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I LOVE Rear Window, and enjoyed Dr. Strangelove as well. The Third Man is in my Netflix Queue.

10. Mulholland Drive (Lynch, 2001)

Lynch takes two simple concepts of dreams and reality, and draws up a complex relationship between them. He merges them together, then dissects them, then attempts to turn them into each other. And if that is not enough, he confuses us further by not establishing which is which in the first place. This is the cinematic equivalent of the ultimate Rubik’s cube.

9. Alien (Scott, 1979)

Two years after George Lucas and Steven Spielberg wowed viewers and rejuvenated the science-fiction genre with Star Wars and Close Encounters Of The Third Kind respectively, Ridley Scott scared the living hell out of moviegoers with Alien, perhaps the most terrifying (read: satisfying) sci-fi horror picture ever made. It's impossible to know that Ash was a robot the first time you watched it.

"I admire it's purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, ... or delusions of morality " -Ash

Your list is cool, very interesting choices. Plus I'm eager to see La Haine and Werkmeister Harmonies now.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

^ Thanks a lot Deadite. Of the two, i recommend La Haine. I think you would love that one, judging from your favourite movie list. As for Werckmeister Harmonies, it can be excruciatingly boring at times. I have to warn you that it's a weird and VERY slow moving film.

^ Thanks a lot Deadite. Of the two, i recommend La Haine. I think you would love that one, judging from your favourite movie list. As for Werckmeister Harmonies, it can be excruciatingly boring at times. I have to warn you that it's a weird and VERY slow moving film.
Seconded on both points. WH is over 2 hours long and consists of about 13 shots.

8. Landscape In The Mist (Angelopoulos, 1988)

Landscape in the mist is a poignant tale on the human struggle for identity, in it we see joy and suffering. Two children embark on a journey to reunite with their unknown father who supposedly resides in Germany. Will they find redemptive meaning beyond their fruitless journey? The Greek Theo Angelopoulos is one of the finest directors today in world cinema, and I compare his films to the great Tarkovsky's because both are similar. The cinematography is gorgeous. I highly recommend this under-rated film.

7. Aguirre, The Wrath Of God (Herzog, 1972)

Aguirre is one of many Herzog pictures that are characteristically filmed in daunting, and almost hellish conditions, making the great German director a rare breed amongst even “crazy filmmakers”. To constantly put actors and crew in the “shithole”, and direct them according to his artistic demands, Herzog has taken filmmaking to, for better or worse, a new level of obsession. Aguirre, The Wrath of God is raw, hypnotic, violent, and filled with macabre humor. It introduced the civilized world to a filmmaker whose cinematic pursuits literally know no boundaries.

6. The 400 Blows (Truffaut, 1959)

Considered as a masterpiece of the French New Wave, The 400 Blows is perhaps the finest french film ever made. The 400 Blows tells the story of young Doinel, who is neglected by his parents, and is sent to reform school because of bad behavior. Truffaut understood troubled youths because he was one himself. The final sequence of the film remains one of the most revered moments in cinema: Doinel runs towards the sea, relishing his newfound freedom …before turning back to look at the camera in a zoom-in freeze frame shot.

Francois Truffaut was only 27 then.

and now the top 5

5. Touch Of Evil (Welles, 1958)

By far the grimmest andd darkest noir i've ever seen. The black&white is superb... i can only think of Tourneur's Out Of The Past which could rival this film in terms of cinematography. And Orson Welles VS Charlton Heston? The screen is on fire! Forget about Citizen Kane, this is Welles' magnum opus.

the top 10 so far...

5. Touch Of Evil
6. The 400 Blows
7. Aguirre, The Wrath Of God
8. Landscape In The Mist
9. Alien
10. Mulholland Drive