Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Gloria, 2013

Gloria (Paulina Garcia) is in her late 50, separated from her husband and with two adult children. Lonely, she meets Rodolfo (Sergio Hernandez) at a local disco. The two embark on a passionate romance, but Rodolfo's co-dependent relationship with his ex-wife and grown daughters threatens their happiness.

This film lives and dies on the shoulders of Paulina Garcia's incredibly well-realized and lived-in performance as Gloria. In the lead role, Garcia manages to capture a character who is both vulnerable and has the confidence that comes with experience.

A dynamic that this film embraces that is often shied away from in films that deal with romance between older characters is the role of sexual attraction. There are several erotic sequences with Gloria and Rodolfo, intended to show both the attraction between the characters and the fact that they are still interested in a vibrant sex life. This is another place where Garcia's performance is excellent, as her confidence in her body practically leaps off of the screen and is a real rarity. There's nothing sad or pitiable about these characters when it comes to the bedroom.

But a nice flipside to this is the desperation that Gloria feels. She is aware that she is aging, and she doesn't have time to mess around. In joyful moments she clearly feels carefree. But when things start to go wrong, it seems as if reminders of her own mortality are everywhere. In a great sequence, Gloria smiles wryly as she is surprised by coming across a street performer who is puppeteering a skeleton puppet. Gloria knows in a vague sense what she wants, but it's clear that she is still trying to chart a path now that one stage of her life--wife and mother of a household--is past.

Another interesting subplot involves Gloria's neighbor in her apartment who is in the middle of some sort of addiction or mental health crisis. As she lays in bed, Gloria listens to him scream and rant--whether at himself or someone else is unclear. I loved this subplot because it really captured the way that a stressor can really push you to a frustration point in other, sometimes unrelated, areas of your life.

I had two criticisms of this one. The first is just that I don't love mouth noises and the sex scenes are kind of heavy in this department. The second is that I've never been a fan of the idea that violence against men by women is quirky and funny, something that this film tries to pull off. While the violence is not extreme, it was unprovoked and not at all as cute as the film seems to think it is.

This one was a real gem and I'd highly recommend it.

Man From Earth

This film been on my radar for quite sometime and I seen it was on the free streaming site plex so I have it a try. As a scholar is preparing to move home and start a new life, some colleagues hold an impromptu farewell party for him, on a whim and encouraged by their observations “you haven’t aged in 10 years” he reveals to the group he is over 1,400 years old..

Interesting film entirely made of dialogue, cheap production value but something different and and well meaning I rather enjoyed it, even got a bit teary toward the end when he reveals another secret to the group (no spoilers) but the very end and last reveal was somewhat heavy handed and unnecessary but pleased I seen it.

The gun
Walther PP
The most traditional gun in the James Bond franchise!

No trigger discipline, Mr. Bond?

The girls
Ursula Andress is a baby.

50 dollars was a fortune back in the days, I guess.

The car

Sunbeam Alpine
That car chase didn't aged very well, but still nice to see this bathtub with wheels.

A couple of Treasury agents go undercover to infiltrate a counter fitting ring. Very good movie, has a couple of surprises and moves fast.

@wooley Be sure to remind me when you watch The Leopard Man, it's a personal favorite. The less you know going in the better.
Will do, Wooley. It'll be a re-watch for me, but it's been years.

Cornell Woolrich is one of my favorite writers whose books have been turned into noirs. "Leopard" is a horror movie, but classic horror doesn't bother me. It's the stuff from the last 30-40 years that I don't cotton to, although I did like The Exorcist, Jaws, and The Shining.
Well, I couldn't wait. Re-watched The Leopard Man (1943) last night. It's a tame horror flick-- just the way I like them. What struck me was that Jacques Tourneur directed both "Leopard" and Cat People (1942), but the notable contrast in the productions, outside of their stories, was that "Cat" was photographed by Nicholas Musuraca (DP on the great noir Out of the Past), which made it a superior film. Although "Leopard's" DP, Robert De Grasse, eventually directed the wonderful Born to Kill, I don't believe he was as gifted as was Musuraca.

But one interesting thing about "Leopard" is that it was likely the first American serial killer film. There had been a couple of Brit Jack the Ripper treatments, one by Hitchcock (The Lodger), but I can't think of another U.S. serial killer film that predated "Leopard". It interestingly discussed briefly the insane motivation in the mind of a serial killer.

For those who are interested, many of these films are available on YouTube.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Rurouni Kenshi: Final Chapter Part 1 (2021)
It seems we had stumbled upon the end of this series and while it was a bit confusing it still was a somewhat decent stand-alone, live-action manga chuck full of anime tropes but passable amusement if not actual enjoyment for what we saw. Still unsure if we would delve into the series or not.

A Glitch in the Matrix (2021)
Basically a conspiracy documentary that played out like interviews of people who saw ghosts, kind of thing. Their identities are hidden behind digital personas without any "science" behind the "belief" with a lot of Matrix film footage with the testimony of people who firmly believe that the film is a reality. The amusement wore off quickly for me.

Victim of The Night
Well, I couldn't wait. Re-watched The Leopard Man (1943) last night. It's a tame horror flick-- just the way I like them. What struck me was that Jacques Tourneur directed both "Leopard" and Cat People (1942), but the notable contrast in the productions, outside of their stories, was that "Cat" was photographed by Nicholas Musuraca (DP on the great noir Out of the Past), which made it a superior film. Although "Leopard's" DP, Robert De Grasse, eventually directed the wonderful Born to Kill, I don't believe he was as gifted as was Musuraca.

But one interesting thing about "Leopard" is that it was likely the first American serial killer film. There had been a couple of Brit Jack the Ripper treatments, one by Hitchcock (The Lodger), but I can't think of another U.S. serial killer film that predated "Leopard". It interestingly discussed briefly the insane motivation in the mind of a serial killer.

For those who are interested, many of these films are available on YouTube.
I agree with everything you say, I think though that you should spoiler-tag your second paragraph. That literally gives away the entire film which is absolutely played as a massive twist.

Fairly sure I bailed out of this. Totally prefer the remake Gloria Belle.

Sunbeam Alpine
That car chase didn't aged very well, but still nice to see this bathtub with wheels.
“Bathtub on wheels”? Strange description of a Sunbeam motor car.

RAW
(2016, Ducournau)

"I'm sure you'll find a solution, honey."

Raw follows Justine (Garance Marillier), a young woman just starting at veterinary school who finds herself in the above situation. As she stumbles and tries to find her way through academic life and a days-long hazing ritual for new students, she is led through by her older sister Alexia (Ella Rumpf) who torments her, but at the same time tries to help her "survive". When Justine, a lifelong vegetarian, tastes raw meat for the first time as part of one of the hazing rituals, she starts developing a crave for flesh which she can't control, and to which she doesn't seem to find a solution.

Despite its horror leanings, Raw is, at its core, a coming-of-age film. We see Justine finding her way out of her new surroundings in college, while also discovering things like alcohol, drugs, sex, and her own cannibalistic nature, pretty much at the same time. Marillier does a great job of showing the mixture of emotions that seem to be going through her mind as her character tries to find solutions to all of the issues that her young life seem to be throwing at her.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Victim of The Night
RAW
(2016, Ducournau)

Raw follows Justine (Garance Marillier), a young woman just starting at veterinary school who finds herself in the above situation. As she stumbles and tries to find her way through academic life and a days-long hazing ritual for new students, she is led through by her older sister Alexia (Ella Rumpf) who torments her, but at the same time tries to help her "survive". When Justine, a lifelong vegetarian, tastes raw meat for the first time as part of one of the hazing rituals, she starts developing a crave for flesh which she can't control, and to which she doesn't seem to find a solution.

Despite its horror leanings, Raw is, at its core, a coming-of-age film. We see Justine finding her way out of her new surroundings in college, while also discovering things like alcohol, drugs, sex, and her own cannibalistic nature, pretty much at the same time. Marillier does a great job of showing the mixture of emotions that seem to be going through her mind as her character tries to find solutions to all of the issues that her young life seem to be throwing at her.

Grade:

I am intrigued.

RAW
(2016, Ducournau)

Grade:

Big fan of this movie. It has one of my favorite closing shots in film.

I am intrigued.

I remember being a fan of this one. One of those horror-adjacent type of movies with a good tone to it. Titane won the Palme d'Or at Cannes this year and I think it's playing in theaters now. So now seems like a good time to catch up with Raw.

Big fan of this movie. It has one of my favorite closing shots in film.

Let's not get carried away here. It's no mimes playing tennis.

If this were a +18 forum, I would have rated the nude girls that appear in the movie. Probably the only good thing in the whole film...
They'd be a lot sexier if they could read a map.
If this was a +18 forum I would SOOO express HOW SEXY they would be if they could read a map LOL

This would be a fun one to see at the movies. Especially a good crowd.
cause its school holidays they always put classic disney movies and other classic movies for the kids and teens and they only show those movies on school holidays

RAW
(2016, Ducournau)

Grade:

Good film is Raw. I'm off to see her new one 'Titane' in 2 weeks. Can not wait.

cause its school holidays they always put classic disney movies and other classic movies for the kids and teens and they only show those movies on school holidays
VERY cool!
I had wanted to hit the movie theaters earlier this year when they first reopened after Covid to see a few of the older films that they showed before going full tilt into the new releases but it didn't quite happen. Oh well

VERY cool!
I had wanted to hit the movie theaters earlier this year when they first reopened after Covid to see a few of the older films that they showed before going full tilt into the new releases but it didn't quite happen. Oh well
YES SURE IS.

gosh u serious ahhh they need to show old films everywhere D=