Latin American Cinema

Tools    

I am looking for some good South American films.

I have seen a few from Argentina, Brazil and Mexico. Other countries that fall into this category include: Cuba, Chile, Colombia, Haiti, Peru and Uruguay.

Any recommendation?

Lord High Filmquisitor
el Norte, a movie about illegal Guatemalan immigrants sneaking into the US, immediately comes to mind.

While I did not particulalrly like it, an old film professor of mine claimed that scores of students told her that Barren Lives changed their perception of film.

Pan's Labyrinth is good, though j never thought great. It felt like two different movies (one a period war drama and another a dark fantasy) that didn't quite meah well together (though both worthy in their own right).

City of God and Babel are both abaolutely phenominal.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I Am Cuba
Strawberry and Chocolate
Buena Vista Social Club

From Chile

The Maid

That's off the top of my head, but I can recommend more if I think about it.

*just thought of one. Sangre di mi Sangre

I son't know a lot about it, but my favourite is Y tu mama tambien

Let the night air cool you off
I'm not an expert by any means, but I am comfortable recommending these:

Mexico:

The Exterminating Angel (Luis Bunuel; 1962) - Probably my favorite South American film
Cronos (Guillermo del Toro; 1993) - Interesting take on the Vampire movie.

Chile:

Machuca (Andrés Wood; 2004) - Powerful film about three kids during a revolution in Chile. They are friends despite different upbringing and having family members on opposite sides. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it's powerful nonetheless. The kids also manage to not be annoying. Kudos to the actors for pulling that off.

Uruguay:

A Useful Life (Federico Veiroj; 2010) - I think I could describe this as a less absurd and equally touching Alexander Payne film set in Uruguay and filmed in B&W.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Histórias que só existem quando lembradas
Tabu
Los Colores de la montaña
Amores perros
Fando y Lis
El Secreto de sus ojos
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.