I need some 2000s movie recommendations that I will actually watch!

→ in
Tools    

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
(Peter Weir 2003)
@seanc
@Captain Steel

Yahoo! I love this one...When I was making my voting ballot for the top 2000s decade movies, Master and Commander was the first movie I thought of. I've seen this twice now and it holds up well.

I liked the confined microcosm of an early 19th century British war ship. The chain of command, the duties to one's ship and country, the protocols and camaraderie were all very much something I enjoyed seeing as it reminded of Star Trek, especially STTNG.

The stormy seas which were filmed for real off the horn of South America sure looked furious and the sea battles were some of the best I've seen. My favorite part was on the Galapagos island. Master and Commander was the first movie to film there too. Yup this one is right towards the top of my voting list.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-11-01 18-10-03.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	82480  

When choosing between watching Master and Commander or Gladiator...
"Always choose the lesser of two weevils."
Ha...that line in the movie made me laugh! Master and Commander had heart!

Oh BTW if you wondered the other day why I said you were psychic, I had decided to watch Master and Commandeer only hours before you mentioned it on the board spooky!

Ha...that line in the movie made me laugh! Master and Commander had heart!

Oh BTW if you wondered the other day why I said you were psychic, I had decided to watch Master and Commandeer only hours before you mentioned it on the board spooky!
I think that was the only "joke" joke in the movie... although it did have little moments of subtle humor throughout.

Another thing to mention was Aubrey's toast - I'd heard it from my father for years and was kind of blown away when I heard this guy in a movie say it. But my father was also in the navy and when he saw the movie he confirmed this was a popular toast among sailors.

"To our wives and mistresses... may they never meet." (Or something like that.)

So, did you watch it again, Rules? If so did you enjoy it as much, less or more?

I try not to watch movies too frequently, but every time I watched this one again, I was swept away just like the first time.

I think that was the only "joke" joke in the movie... although it did have little moments of subtle humor throughout.

Another thing to mention was Aubrey's toast - I'd heard it from my father for years and was kind of blown away when I heard this guy in a movie say it. But my father was also in the navy and when he saw the movie he confirmed this was a popular toast among sailors.

"To our wives and mistresses... may they never meet." (Or something like that.)

So, did you watch it again, Rules? If so did you enjoy it as much, less or more?

I try not to watch movies too frequently, but every time I watched this one again, I was swept away just like the first time.
I watched it the same night that you had mentioned it on MoFo. I enjoyed it the same. I wish I had subtitles as I missed at least a third of what was said. I have a real hard time with strong accents and the dialogue on the copy I had was lower volume than the sounds of the sea and score.

I watched it the same night that you had mentioned it on MoFo. I enjoyed it the same. I wish I had subtitles as I missed at least a third of what was said. I have a real hard time with strong accents and the dialogue on the copy I had was lower volume than the sounds of the sea and score.
Yes, that's another reason I've liked re-watches - because I pick up a little more dialogue that I missed the first time around. I've also watched it with the captions on - which was almost like watching a whole new movie when I could read everything they were saying!

Funny thing - I turned my brother on to this movie also, and at one point he said, "Aubrey reminds me a little of Captain Kirk - his attitude - he seems like kind of a bad boy, but he maintains discipline. He probably likes the ladies in port, but is dedicated to his duty & his ship." Then he pinned Mr. Pullings (first officer) as Spock simply for his rank, and Dr. Maturin as Bones (although I feel Maturin is more of an amalgam of Spock & Bones since Mr. Pulling role in the movie was fairly minimal).

This is just wild speculation, but I wonder if Patrick O'Brian (the author of the Aubrey / Maturin series) had watched Star Trek TOS?
The Star Trek TV series premiered in 1966 and O'Brian wrote his first Aubrey book in 1969 so it's possible!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
(Peter Weir 2003)
@seanc
@Captain Steel

Yahoo! I love this one...When I was making my voting ballot for the top 2000s decade movies, Master and Commander was the first movie I thought of. I've seen this twice now and it holds up well.

I liked the confined microcosm of an early 19th century British war ship. The chain of command, the duties to one's ship and country, the protocols and camaraderie were all very much something I enjoyed seeing as it reminded of Star Trek, especially STTNG.

The stormy seas which were filmed for real off the horn of South America sure looked furious and the sea battles were some of the best I've seen. My favorite part was on the Galapagos island. Master and Commander was the first movie to film there too. Yup this one is right towards the top of my voting list.

I know that both you and @Captain Steel are big fans of this movie, so I tried watching it three times in the past few weeks, but I just can't seem to get into it. I was thinking about trying it again, but starting it where I left off, (about 30 to 40 minutes into the movie), instead of starting again from the beginning. Maybe it's just a slow-starter and it might pick up a bit later in the movie.

I know that both you and @Captain Steel are big fans of this movie, so I tried watching it three times in the past few weeks, but I just can't seem to get into it. I was thinking about trying it again, but starting it where I left off, (about 30 to 40 minutes into the movie), instead of starting again from the beginning. Maybe it's just a slow-starter and it might pick up a bit later in the movie.
I always found most of it very exiting, gbg. But it does pick up more toward the end.

The best part is Jack (Aubrey) sacrificing his mission (which he is obsessed with fulfilling) to save the life of his best friend Stephen - the ship's Dr. (and what follows).

Some have criticized the film for having no female characters - there actually aren't even any women in the movie except for some spotted at an island port (where we see Captain Aubrey smile at one lovely lady). But that's it.

I'm wondering if that has anything to do with your dislike for it?

The movie is based on parts of two of the books - but in the books women play important roles - there's the story of Aubrey's marriage to a lady that bears the same name as one of his ships; "Sophie" (and his irascible mother-in-law) and Dr. Maturin has a romance that doesn't quite work out. I'm sure there's more in later books, but I never got that far.

I always found most of it very exiting, gbg. But it does pick up more toward the end.

The best part is Jack (Aubrey) sacrificing his mission (which he is obsessed with fulfilling) to save the life of his best friend Stephen - the ship's Dr. (and what follows).

Some have criticized the film for having no female characters - there actually aren't even any women in the movie except for some spotted at an island port (where we see Captain Aubrey smile at one lovely lady). But that's it.

I'm wondering if that has anything to do with your dislike for it?
I doubt that has anything to do with it because I didn't even notice that there were no women in the movie. (I've probably watched other movies without any women in them, but I just didn't realize it at the time.)

Things like that rarely bother me unless it feels like something is missing from the story.

The movie is based on parts of two of the books - but in the books women play important roles - there's the story of Aubrey's marriage to a lady that bears the same name as one of his ships; "Sophie" (and his irascible mother-in-law) and Dr. Maturin has a romance that doesn't quite work out. I'm sure there's more in later books, but I never got that far.
I never read the books, so I doubt that has anything to do with it either. I think the movie itself just isn't holding my interest for some reason.

Still Walking
(2008)

Original title: Aruitemo aruitemo
Director & Writer: Hirokazu Koreeda

@Thursday Next

I saved the best for last!

Still Walking
was a pleasant surprise for me as I'd not heard of it before. It reminded me of one of my favorite directors, Ozu. What impressed me the most was the films honesty and lack of grandiose-ness. There's no over the top moments, no huge story arcs. It's a very grounded film, one that any person anywhere in the world could relate to. One of my favorite yardsticks for movies is the adage, 'less is more' and Still Walking is much more because it's focused on a simple let humanistic story. It's never overtly cinematic or overly dramatic for the sake of entertainment.

I highly recommend viewing Still Walking before sending in your voting ballot to the MoFo TOP 100 Movies of the 2000s Decade

++

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	aruitemo-1024x528.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	82490  

Still Walking
(2008)

Original title: Aruitemo aruitemo
Director & Writer: Hirokazu Koreeda

@Thursday Next

I saved the best for last!

Still Walking
was a pleasant surprise for me as I'd not heard of it before. It reminded me of one of my favorite directors, Ozu. What impressed me the most was the films honesty and lack of grandiose-ness. There's no over the top moments, no huge story arcs. It's a very grounded film, one that any person anywhere in the world could relate to. One of my favorite yardsticks for movies is the adage, 'less is more' and Still Walking is much more because it's focused on a simple let humanistic story. It's never overtly cinematic or overly dramatic for the sake of entertainment.

I highly recommend viewing Still Walking before sending in your voting ballot to the MoFo TOP 100 Movies of the 2000s Decade

++

I watched Still Walking for the Foreign Movies Countdown, and I liked it too. I think you liked it more than I did, but I agree that it's worth watching. Here's my review of it.

I watched Still Walking for the Foreign Movies Countdown, and I liked it too. I think you liked it more than I did, but I agree that it's worth watching. Here's my review of it.
Thanks for the link, I didn't know anybody had wrote about Still Walking. It was interesting to read yours and Thursday's take on the movie. For myself...I didn't find the movie tense, though I could see people would feel that way about the family dynamics.

For me it was more a case of, this is what real families are like, warts and all. The son's family didn't want to visit but felt compelled to do so for the memorial day. The sister's family were like leaches buttering up mom so that they could inherit the house and sponge off her. Probably the realest movie family I've seen.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know anybody had wrote about Still Walking. It was interesting to read yours and Thursday's take on the movie. For myself...I didn't find the movie tense, though I could see people would feel that way about the family dynamics.

For me it was more a case of, this is what real families are like, warts and all. The son's family didn't want to visit but felt compelled to do so for the memorial day. The sister's family were like leaches buttering up mom so that they could inherit the house and sponge off her. Probably the realest movie family I've seen.

In this case, the tension wasn't a bad thing. It just made the movie more realistic.