Historic Photograph Sharing Thread

Tools    

Just post your favorite pictures preferably with descriptions.
This thread isn't for screenshots from within the films themselves.

Sensing that he had a special film, Silberman decided not to wait until May to premiere it at the Cannes Film Festival and instead released it in the fall of 1972 specifically to make it eligible for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Buñuel was famously indifferent to awards and jokingly told a reporter that he had already paid $25,000 in order to win the Oscar. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie did win the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film and Silberman accepted on Buñuel's behalf at the ceremony. At the Academy's request, Buñuel posed for a photograph while holding the Oscar, but while wearing a wig and oversized sunglasses.[11]

Buñuel and Silberman travelled to the US in late 1972 to promote the film. Buñuel did not attend his own press screening in Los Angeles and told a reporter at Newsweek that his favorite characters in the film were the cockroaches. While visiting LA, Buñuel, Carrière and Silberman were invited to a lunch party by Buñuel's old friend George Cukor, and other guests included Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, George Stevens, Rouben Mamoulian, John Ford, William Wyler, Robert Mulligan and Robert Wise[11] (resulting in a famous photograph of the directors together, other than an ailing Ford). Fritz Lang was unable to attend, but Buñuel visited him the following day and received an autographed photo from Lang, one of his favorite directors.[12]

I figured there would be a suitable thread already going, but these are specifically ones dealing with the film industry. A little more niche.

Must be doin sumthin right

I've always liked this photo of Martin Scorsese and Isabella Rossellini taken by Wim Wenders

Originally Posted by Wim Wenders
Martin and Isabella had been to Telluride, just like me, and we had taken separate cars to drive to Las Vegas, I guess. In the middle of Monument Valley, I saw this car on the side of the road with a flat tire, and these legs sticking out from under it. I stopped and recognized Isabella Rossellini sunbathing on the back seat, and the man who crawled out from under the car was Scorsese. It turned out they didn't even have a spare tire, so I took them with me.