Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

Tools    

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Never saw the man.

But R: I. P.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Many of us in the TCM Fan Site have been wondering for months if he would get better... He's the only host I like from my favorite channel.

http://www.tcm.com/robert/

I've never seen his show but I saw this on fb this morning. Was he sick because cause of death was undisclosed last time I looked. He seemed well loved from the posts I have seen. RiP

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've never seen his show but I saw this on fb this morning. Was he sick because cause of death was undisclosed last time I looked. He seemed well loved from the posts I have seen. RiP

Dani, Robert Osbourne was the original host on Turner Classic Movies. He told us about the movies that we watched, both before and after the movie. They mentioned that he was having health problems a while back, but I don't think they ever gave us any details about it. He hasn't been on TCM for a while, and he missed the last few TCM film festivals. Many of us were hoping that he would get better and return to TCM, but sadly, he never did.

R.I.P. He will be missed.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thanks gb. We have a movie guy here in Aus who I just adore nd grew up with nd he seems to have gone quiet over the last few years. I was only thinking of him this morning when I saw the news about Robert. Probably the same vintage. It's a big loss when movie fans grow up with these people.

Dani, Robert Osbourne was the original host on Turner Classic Movies. He told us about the movies that we watched, both before and after the movie. They mentioned that he was having health problems a while back, but I don't think they ever gave us any details about it. He hasn't been on TCM for a while, and he missed the last few TCM film festivals. Many of us were hoping that he would get better and return to TCM, but sadly, he never did.

R.I.P. He will be missed.
This was several years back, (don't know if you, GBG, or Rules remember this) but I posted on the eBay board about a broadcast I viewed where Robert seemed to be slurring his words, seemed shaky and was having trouble speaking during a movie's intro or outro - I was surprised they even used the footage because he seemed visibly off kilter. Right after that, he seemed to disappear for a while - he wasn't presenting movies on TCM and was apparently taking a leave of absence, but then he returned and seemed his old self again.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This was several years back, (don't know if you, GBG, or Rules remember this) but I posted on the eBay board about a broadcast I viewed where Robert seemed to be slurring his words, seemed shaky and was having trouble speaking during a movie's intro or outro - I was surprised they even used the footage because he seemed visibly off kilter. Right after that, he seemed to disappear for a while - he wasn't presenting movies on TCM and was apparently taking a leave of absence, but then he returned and seemed his old self again.

Yes, I vaguely remember that. I know that he left TCM for a while, and then he returned again, before he finally left for good, but I don't remember TCM ever saying what was wrong with him, other than a generic "health issues" comment. I'm sure a lot of us were hoping that whatever was wrong with him was something that he would recover from eventually, but without knowing what was wrong with him, there was no way to know that he wouldn't return. Sadly, as time went on, it just seemed more and more likely that this would be the announcement that we would eventually hear from TCM, but I was still hoping that he would return someday.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've been watching TCM for so many years, since I was 17 or so.. Always remembered Robert.

No one now was ever in a movie, they don't know movies, and they have no charm.. Now I assume we'll hear about Ben's family even more, how they wrote every great movie. "And the next movie my grandfather made was without the help of _______"

I only started watching TCM just over a year ago, but I quickly grew to like and look forward to his pre and post film comments.

R.I.P.

I don't actually wear pants.
Really, I've come to dislike TCM introductions. Why tell me every important plot point when I just want to watch the film? The last three TCM films I've watched, I've just fast forwarded through the introductions, because four movies ago, stuff got spoiled, and it made me mad. I record films after checking out the synopsis, so it's not like I know nothing about them.

Really, I've come to dislike TCM introductions. Why tell me every important plot point when I just want to watch the film? The last three TCM films I've watched, I've just fast forwarded through the introductions, because four movies ago, stuff got spoiled, and it made me mad. I record films after checking out the synopsis, so it's not like I know nothing about them.
This seems strange. I've watched a lot of TCM films and never had one spoiled by an introduction.
In my experience, the intros don't really expose plot points so much as they usually cover background, behind the scenes, or trivia information concerning the actors, directors, studios, the film's place in history, awards, or how the film fit into someone's career. They rarely say anything that would give away anything crucial about the story in the film itself.

I don't actually wear pants.
This seems strange. I've watched a lot of TCM films and never had one spoiled by an introduction.
In my experience, the intros don't really expose plot points so much as they usually cover background, behind the scenes, or trivia information concerning the actors, directors, studios, the film's place in history, awards, or how the film fit into someone's career. They rarely say anything that would give away anything crucial about the story in the film itself.
Interesting. I remember having two plot points spoiled in two different films recently. I think one was Getaway, and I immediately fast-forwarded through the rest of the intro for fear of more spoilers.

That typed, I'm still sad he died. He exuded professionalism and charisma. Shame he died.