The 2016 MoFo Film Awards

Tools    

Legend in my own mind
It's not above criticism, but "edgy" is the last word I'd think of when describing it.
Maybe it's not a great choice of word, but whereas people thought it was a bold and different take on the genre (I can see that) I thought that it weakened the film and made it a bit tepid. Maybe I would feel differently with a rewatch as if it had done the opposite, I would have said that we had seen it all before.

It was just lacking something of not happening for me.

....Same could be said here I think. People know that there are favourites here, like Manchester by the Sea, so to give a little lesser film a bit of love seems logical.
I didn't vote for Manchester by the Sea for one reason....I haven't been able to see it yet.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It seems that even the Mofo Film Awards are not immune to wrongly announcing a film for a category. I have to clarify a mistake on the Best Picture list. I incorrectly included Moonlight in the Best Picture category when it should have gone to Arrival.

I have since corrected the issue, I have no idea why I put Moonlight down, but it certainly did not receive enough votes to replace Arrival.

Those of you who have submitted may resubmit if they want to change their Best Picture vote.

Everyone else, carry on.

Suspect's Reviews

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Is it possible to just send the one vote if you already voted for everything else?

Is it possible to just send the one vote if you already voted for everything else?
Yes, you do not need to re-vote. You can submit your votes gradually if you want. You can update votes until deadline.

I'm just gonna go through the films first and then send in tbh... makes it easier for TUS to keep track.

I've managed to borrow DVDs of Neon Demon and Hail, Caesar! from a buddy. Not watched them yet though.
Another friend has Manchester By The Sea but I think it's a pirated copy
This might be the only time I ever use a pirate DVD to watch something.

Another friend has Manchester By The Sea but I think it's a pirated copy
This might be the only time I ever use a pirate DVD to watch something.
My uncle the cop does it all the time.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Lion wasnt nominated? Bloody rigged, just like The Oscars. I'm not voting, unless the Hemsworth brothers get nominated as well

*dramatic scarf flick and flounces off stage*

Best Actor

This year was a little strange, to say the least. Despite having 5 different performances, we only have 3 nominees. The front runner Casey Affleck is the obvious one, the next two matched up with the Oscars; Ryan Gosling was nominated for La La Land and Andrew Garfield was nominated for Hacksaw Ridge.

The other two performances were again from Gosling and Garfield. Surprise, surprise, Gosling got another coveted spot for his comedic turn in Shane Black's The Nice Guys, while Garfield has his performance from the strongly represented Scorsese film Silence.

Members seemed to have complained that Gosling was the weakest aspect of La La Land, yet they still somehow nominated him for the MoFo Awards. Is this a repeat of last year's Rachel McAdams nomination for Spotlight? Once the Oscars announced her name, everyone seemed to chime in about how generic and bland her performance was, yet they seemed to nominate her in the Best Supporting Actress category as well!!! People sure do like to complain about the Oscar nominations, then seem to follow suit.

Which performance was better? I certainly found Gosling's take in The Nice Guys to be too hilarious to turn down. One of the highlights of the film was his chemistry with the non-nominated Russell Crowe. People really connected with Nice Guys and it has a decent showing this year in some really competitive categories. Is Gosling's nomination in this category a surprise? Specifically, for this film.

Second we have Garfield in Scorsese's Silence. Silence was almost shut out at the Oscars, but it appears to have won over a lot of members here. Silence has some strong showing in big categories and Garfield's performance is one of them. Again, which one was better? These double nominations could cost either of these guys the win.

Will voters be confused, split the difference or will Casey Affleck simply run away with it?

Who didn't make the cut? Well, one actor in particular missed out by just one vote. Had he made it in, he would have been nominated alongside his two co-stars, making all three main performances in this film nominated.

Pine was looking strong for a decent amount of time, but fell victim to the double nominated of Gosling and Garfield. I would have loved if this category spread out a bit more and I do think Pine was really good in Hell or High Water. If he were nominated here, it would have been the underdog in the category, maybe pulling some people his way to root for him. Pine shared the same amount of votes with Washington and Mortensen, two actors who were nominated for Oscars. The only other actors who might had been close was Ryan Reynolds for his foul mouth portrayal of Deadpool.

One of my personal nominations didn't fare to well, Colin Farrell in The Lobster was some of his best work, but seemed to have been ignored and the film as a whole completely shut out. Some other actors who received a few votes were Michael Keaton for The Founder, Dave Johns for I, Daniel Blake and Adam Driver for Paterson.

I hate pirated films, @Steve Freeling
Absolutely hate them. I'd never buy or otherwise own one myself, but I think for the sake of this countdown it'd be ok this once to borrow one.
I might microwave the disc though before I give it back to Danny

The updates have been correct, everything is back on track.

I apologize to everyone. Sleepy father get out of jail free card being used here.

I hate pirated films, @Steve Freeling
Absolutely hate them. I'd never buy or otherwise own one myself, but I think for the sake of this countdown it'd be ok this once to borrow one.
I might microwave the disc though before I give it back to Danny
Oh, I agree. Film piracy is a serious offense. Here in the States, film pirates are fined up to $10,000 and sentenced to up to five years in prison. I don't think it's enough myself; I think they oughta be shot, especially when they sell it.

I think shooting is a bit much, but I have threatened to kick someone's ass when they tried selling me some.

I think shooting is a bit much, but I have threatened to kick someone's ass when they tried selling me some.
It's from The Wizard a.k.a. (apparently) Joy Stick Heroes (in Germany). "You make money off of little kids; you oughta be shot!"

What are the chances that The Nice Guys will win Best Film? Because if it was a surprise nomination, it might be a surprise win...

Legend in my own mind
It seems that even the Mofo Film Awards are not immune to wrongly announcing a film for a category. I have to clarify a mistake on the Best Picture list. I incorrectly included Moonlight in the Best Picture category when it should have gone to Arrival.

I have since corrected the issue, I have no idea why I put Moonlight down, but it certainly did not receive enough votes to replace Arrival.

Those of you who have submitted may resubmit if they want to change their Best Picture vote.

Everyone else, carry on.
This is just to wind me up right?

I suggest Arrival is average on this thread and then boom, it's up for best picture

It's a conspiracy I tell you...