The 2016 MoFo Film Awards

Tools    

which only makes me wonder who here was honestly disappointed by Suicide Squad
I was. I didn't vote for Batman V Superman because I almost knew I wouldn't like it very much even before the trailer was released, but Suicide Squad actually seemed enjoyable, or at the very least better than that movie.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Serves them right.

That's a pity. I was hoping against hope that it would be the "low-key character study drama" pick instead of the more obvious Manchester by the Sea (which wasn't bad, but still...so much for trying to avoid having the same picks as the Oscars). I don't know what I find more bothersome, the categories where none of my picks made it or the ones where multiple equally good choices made it.
But really this is a different type of year where Oscar films were actually really good for the most part. This wasn't a year with a film like, say, The Big Short

Welcome to the human race...
I was. I didn't vote for Batman V Superman because I almost knew I wouldn't like it very much even before the trailer was released, but Suicide Squad actually seemed enjoyable, or at the very least better than that movie.
Fair enough. It did seem to get a sliver of hope from people thinking that it couldn't be as bad as BvS and at least its storyline seemed more outwardly functional, but the execution...yikes.

Anyway, my disappointment picks were Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Blair Witch, Don't Breathe, Love and Friendship, and The Invitation. The first two are obviously sequels, but the other three were extremely well-received original pieces that I didn't respond to as well as I'd hoped. Gauging disappointment is a hard thing to do and I'm more likely to be let down by an original film with a promising trailer and/or good word-of-mouth/reviews than I am for a sequel to a film that I probably wasn't all that fond of in the first place.

Fair enough. It did seem to get a sliver of hope from people thinking that it couldn't be as bad as BvS and at least its storyline seemed more outwardly functional, but the execution...yikes.

Anyway, my disappointment picks were Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Blair Witch, Don't Breathe, Love and Friendship, and The Invitation. The first two are obviously sequels, but the other three were extremely well-received original pieces that I didn't respond to as well as I'd hoped. Gauging disappointment is a hard thing to do and I'm more likely to be let down by an original film with a promising trailer and/or good word-of-mouth/reviews than I am for a sequel to a film that I probably wasn't all that fond of in the first place.
Mine included Suicide Squad, American Honey, Batman V Superman, Rogue One, and Passengers.

I guess I did throw in Batman V Superman, probably due to wanting to fill up the five categories, but in retrospect I probably would've added Hail, Caesar! instead. Better film, but with my expectations always very high for the Coens I was a bit disappointed with it.

But really this is a different type of year where Oscar films were actually really good for the most part. This wasn't a year with a film like, say, The Big Short
I guess (though I gauge The Big Short as a respectable misfire of mixed quality that is far from the worst the Oscars have nominated in recent years). I still made something of an effort to avoid nominating the obvious Oscar favourites unless I figured they really warranted the extra attention, whether for better or worse.

I still made something of an effort to avoid nominating the obvious Oscar favourites unless I figured they really warranted the extra attention, whether for better or worse.
I don't really understand the whole "don't vote for the Oscar nominations" mentality. I mean, it's your list, do whatever you want, but if you like a film, nominate it dude, it's a much more accurate representation of this forum's taste that way. The Oscar nomination, or win doesn't lessen the quality of a film.

Mine included Suicide Squad, American Honey, Batman V Superman, Rogue One, and Passengers.

I guess I did throw in Batman V Superman, probably due to wanting to fill up the five categories, but in retrospect I probably would've added Hail, Caesar! instead. Better film, but with my expectations always very high for the Coens I was a bit disappointed with it.
Hmm, wonder if this counts as revealing part of your vote.

Hail, Caesar! actually made my "most underrated" list - the extremely mixed reception it got built up some expectations that I figure it didn't do too bad a job of meeting. I do think it is funny that I was the one who pushed for an "underrated" category yet none of my picks ended up making the cut anyway. Hell, I think at least three of the underrated nominees would be more likely to crack my "overrated" list.

Hmm, wonder if this counts as revealing part of your vote.

Hail, Caesar! actually made my "most underrated" list - the extremely mixed reception it got built up some expectations that I figure it didn't do too bad a job of meeting. I do think it is funny that I was the one who pushed for an "underrated" category yet none of my picks ended up making the cut anyway. Hell, I think at least three of the underrated nominees would be more likely to crack my "overrated" list.
Yeah, I didn't know if we had a rule against that, that's my bad.

It's a perfectly alright film, I did enjoy it fine, but as a follower to Inside Llewyn Davis, which is my favorite from them, I guess maybe I had higher, maybe slightly unfair expectations.

I don't really understand the whole "don't vote for the Oscar nominations" mentality. I mean, it's your list, do whatever you want, but if you like a film, nominate it dude, it's a much more accurate representation of this forum's taste that way. The Oscar nomination, or win doesn't lessen the quality of a film.
Well, it was really easy since I didn't like/dislike most of them that much in the first place.

Well, it was really easy since I didn't like/dislike most of them that much in the first place.
Oh, no, I get that. But, say you loved La La Land, or something, it was your favorite film of the year, and you were like "well, everyone is already praising this to death, I'm going to exclude it" I would be scratching my head a bit.

Oh, you mean a year with an amazing film that should have won Best Picture?

Legend in my own mind
I think it's interesting how last year there were no overlaps whatsoever in the "bad" categories (read: overrated, disappointment, worst) whereas this year there was an overlap of three different films in both disappointment and worst (which only makes me wonder who here was honestly disappointed by Suicide Squad and Sausage Party). I only had a couple of overlaps on my ballot but none of those made it anyway (hell, none of my "disappointment" picks made it - now that is disappointing).

lol at the user with the Frank Costello avatar judging what other people think is complex and edgy

Oh, most definitely. It looks like that and American Honey (and maaaaybe Ouija) are the only ones I really should try to seek out (didn't much like the first Independence Day so I doubt I'll find Resurgence to be a genuine disappointment).

Also, was I the only person to vote for Paterson?
I don't think Frank is complex and edgy, just cool. Hope that helps

Legend in my own mind
Exactly. If I like a film and it has been nominated for an Oscar, I am not going to not choose it in favour of something that I liked less.
Maybe the fact that I liked it and it was nominated for an Oscar might be because it was good.

Legend in my own mind
It really doesn't. Dude's a monster.
So many of the best characters are, in films.

Did I upset by criticising 'Arrival'? if so, I am sorry, it's just that in my opinion it was an average film.

You want to start picking holes in films I like because of it, then keep on sunshine

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Oh, no, I get that. But, say you loved La La Land, or something, it was your favorite film of the year, and you were like "well, everyone is already praising this to death, I'm going to exclude it" I would be scratching my head a bit.
I think this is what happened to Ben Affleck at the Oscars when Argo was nominated. "Oh,everyone is going to be voting for him to get Best Director, I'm going to pick an underdog".

He didn't end up getting a nomination, yet the film won several Oscar awards.

Same could be said here I think. People know that there are favourites here, like Manchester by the Sea, so to give a little lesser film a bit of love seems logical.

Suspect's Reviews